aberdeen-music

religion...

Hog

As long as it's equal for anyone to set up there, I'm cool with it...but here's the question :would you tolerate someone ranting on about fascism there?

Think about this:

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either

-Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

freedom of speech is granted by article 19 of the european convention on human rights. The only restrictions on the right countenanced by this article are those which are “provided by law and are necessary: (a) For respect of the rights or reputations of others; (b) For the protection of national security or of public order (ordre public), or of public health or morals.” Nevertheless, Article 19 must be read in conjunction with Article 20, which prohibits “any propaganda for war,” and - of crucial importance for present purposes - “any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence.”

To that end a fascist has just as much right to conduct his free speech as you or I, however, where his views go so far as those stated in Article 20 he recinds those rights and faces criminal prosecution. At any rate if some-one in a black shirt and a red arm-band stood up and started shouting away, ala Mosley, he would most probably be linched.

I agree with Larsen B on this front, if everyone was a good bit more tolerant of other peoples beliefs etc we'd all get on a little better.

I myself am not religious but i have faith. Not in some otherwordly all-knowing being but in those around me that i love and respect and also in myself. I may not always agree with other people's religious beliefs and ideologies but i do respect the fact that they are entitled to them.

I agree that we are communal in as far as society exists. As long as humanity exists society will exist. However i do not think that we are communal in the sense that we support one another' date=' there is far too much indifference and inequality for that statement to be true. Emile Durkheim might agree with you but i doubt Marx would.[/quote']

I did not say that we did support each other. I said that we ought to support each other. Learn to read!

going back to the 'what created the bing bang/must have been god' theory' date=' i believe that the universe is a constantly expanding/contracting ball of fixed energy and at this moment in time the universe is expanding. until it gets to a point where the fixed amount of energy can no longer sustain a universe of that size at which point like yo-yo it will return to the centre and become smaller than a proton then explode creating a new universe. this process is infinite.[/quote']

just out of interest what leads you to believe this. I know it is a widely known theory but is there any evidence to support it.