aberdeen-music

religion...

Hog

I haven't bothered to read through this thread. But here's food for thought:

it is generally accepted that being 'religeonist' equates to being 'racist', for example:

An attack against a Jew/Muslim/person of any other faith simply because of their faith is racist yes?

Therefore - is it fair to say that Cradle Of Filth, and peope who wear the shirt 'Jesus is a cunt' are racist? Discuss.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

religion for me is a personal thing. you have to make your own mind up because IF there is some kind of pearly gates judgement system it's you who will be judged and no one else. if all it takes for me to have eternal bliss is to be a nice guy and look out for my friends and those around me then i don't think it's too much to ask. if i turn up and i find out they actually meant the more wacky parts then they can stick their eternal bliss.

there's good stuff in every religion. i've given a lot of though to it over the years and it still troubles me but i don't think there's any one religion or any truths in what the major religions say, it's all guidelines and ideas and they have to adapt to modern times. you can take bits and pieces at will from all the religions and use them to live a pretty good life which is loving and understanding of those around you. surely that's all that's important right?

i've just remembered the bit with jesus in the family guy movie. :D

Guest five years
Not completly.

Do a dance like a monkey... then it'll all be good.

to be fair, you should "probibly" learn to spell before you tell others they can't.

anyways, i'm not religious in any particularly forceful way. my family are, especially my grandparents, but one of them's had a stroke so...where's her god now. (i know that point of view is totally pointless by the way)

i know pretty much nothing about most of the other main religions so can't comment, apart from jehovah's witnesses - not really a religion, more of a hearty joke - they caught me once as i was going out, then came back a couple of weeks later to see how i "got on" with the leaflets and stuff i left. they'd promptly been binned and i had no idea what he was talking about. great stuff. i also love how there's always a young one and a mentor...

He also says elsewhere that "Do not say you have found a truth - rather say that you have found a truth" - I think that all organised religions contain aspects of the truth' date=' or reflections of it. But that no one religion holds the monopoly.

[/quote']

error here flossie?

should the quote be: "Do not say you have found THE truth - rather say that you have found a truth"

cheers....

skuzz

Guest Page 99
to be fair' date=' you should "probibly" learn to spell before you tell others they can't.[/quote']

To be honest, I was actually being pedantic because his post didn't make particular sense, not the spelling, but hey seeing as you took the time to be pedantic too, I sorted out the spelling.

I haven't bothered to read through this thread. But here's food for thought:

It is generally accepted that being 'religionist' equates to being 'racist'' date=' for example:

An attack against a Jew/Muslim/person of any other faith simply because of their faith is racist yes?

Therefore - is it fair to say that Cradle Of Filth, and people who wear the shirt 'Jesus is a cunt' are racist? Discuss[/quote']

You must have a very warped opinion on racism then, that is if this is your opinion, which I'm presuming it is.

i know pretty much nothing about most of the other main religions so can't comment' date=' apart from jehovah's witnesses - not really a religion, more of a hearty joke - they caught me once as i was going out, then came back a couple of weeks later to see how i "got on" with the leaflets and stuff i left. they'd promptly been binned and i had no idea what he was talking about. great stuff. i also love how there's always a young one and a mentor...[/quote']

you know jehovah's witnesses will not accept a blood transfusion, and some time ago a family of that faith were prepared to let their child die in hospital rather than contravene their beliefs....i once asked one of these dudes who knocked on my door to justify this point of view...and he read some obscure stuff about pigs or something from the bible.....

most bizzarre

Oh' date=' and as for Jehovahs' witnesses, I don't care for them at all. I think it's very wrong to turn up on people's doorsteps and try and impress religion upon them.

Like that speaker thing outside Marks and Spencers.

It's the individuals choice whether or not they want to be religious.[/quote']

I don't think it is 'wrong' to talk publicly about your religion. Even if he's annoying, 'Dj Bible' is entitled to the same freedom of speech you are.

Nazi..

religion for me is a personal thing. you have to make your own mind up because IF there is some kind of pearly gates judgement system it's you who will be judged and no one else. if all it takes for me to have eternal bliss is to be a nice guy and look out for my friends and those around me then i don't think it's too much to ask. if i turn up and i find out they actually meant the more wacky parts then they can stick their eternal bliss.

there's good stuff in every religion. i've given a lot of though to it over the years and it still troubles me but i don't think there's any one religion or any truths in what the major religions say' date=' it's all guidelines and ideas and they have to adapt to modern times. you can take bits and pieces at will from all the religions and use them to live a pretty good life which is loving and understanding of those around you. surely that's all that's important right?

i've just remembered the bit with jesus in the family guy movie. :D[/quote']

Pretty much my view entirely.

I believe in the existence of God and Jesus in some form, but organised religions just causes massive problems. I agree more with the Christian Anarchist/Christian Libertarian (Kierkegaard, Hennacy etc) point of view, that the only person that someone who believes in God is ultimately answerable to is God himself, not the church.

As Dave said, there's parts of the Bible that I could never agree with, and if I got to Heaven to find that was the true word of God, I'd rather not be part of it. The Bible is full of so many contradictions, that if it is the true word of God, he must be pretty confused for an Almighty creator.

I don't think it is 'wrong' to talk publicly about your religion. Even if he's annoying' date=' 'Dj Bible' is entitled to the same freedom of speech you are.

Nazi..[/quote']

I understand that everyone should have freedom of speech, but people should also have the freedom to be able to go shopping without someone blasting his religious views through a speaker. Some people might find it offensive. Why are his views important enough to be on loud speaker?

I used to be very anti-religion. Ridiculously so. Still am to a certain extent, but ive taken a liking to buddhism

Now i wouldnt nearly go far enough to call myself buddhist, but ive read a little bit about it and to me it seems, in relation to other religions, very peaceful. Not in the same way christianity is peaceful or hinduism is peaceful, but the whole premise of the religion is just how to make yourself happy. This is an article from a website, soyouwanna.com that i read a while back (incidentally, while searching on google for a hangover cure to be found on the same site)

"In Buddhism, there is no God, nor any gods or goddesses, seraphim, cherubim, archangels, demons, mythological beasts, familiars, pan-dimensional cyborgs, or talkative shrubbery. That's one thing that distinguishes it from other major religions, and that's also what seems to make it so appealing to the ultra-rational, scientifically trained Western mind. The only steadfast rule about Buddhism is that you accept the teachings of the Buddha. The interesting difference is that rather than submitting to a Supreme Being in whom you must believe (lest ye face lightning bolts, fire and brimstone, an eternity spent with Courtney Love), you instead accept the teachings because they're supposed to make you happy. It says that you should follow its teaching because you want to, not because there are consequences if you don't."

So i guess whats why i find it the more attractive of all religions. Its not asking you to believe in something that will shake a fist at you from the heavens when you drop litter, its simply suggesting how to keep yourself happy.

Optimist: I personally believe that two of mans main traits are the need for acceptance and the desire to be part of a larger societal group. What better way to do this than join a collection of people who all learn to believe and accept similar things?

Pessimist: I also think it could have been created or evolved as a side effect of ongoing conflicts. As far as Im aware most of the worlds biggest wars as far back as we know have been at least partially ethnically or religiously driven.

Religion would work if we lived under one code of God, and not this assortment of multi-coloured Gods, and multi-special Gods.

I am an Athiest, but also a Thiest.. Which means I neither believe nor disbelieve.. hehe.

If "God" showed up and said.. 'Arite Bux, fits the crack manni?' ..I'd be sold, but untill such event happens - Im going nowhere with this believing in God lark. Especially the Mother of all Religions... Christianity. Only us Humans can devise up a Religion that has laws, and stupid rules....

Christianity 101

No Human will die on Earth as long as we are Pro-lifers, No death is allowed..Protest Funerals and block Graveyards.

No abortion, even for rape victims... A fetus is an important person too ya know.

No sex b4 marriage....lol.

Go to a building and pray every Sunday, becos thats what God wants...

Give us More Money, becos our Vatican needs Gold plated floors..this pleases God..!

Etc Etc.. Religion Blows. Learn that you are always at one with the creator, and nothing you do will ever separate you from the creator... You are as vital to the universe as the universe is as vital to you...Unproven Fact.!

this is good:

people should also have the freedom to be able to go shopping without someone blasting his religious views through a speaker?

I think you have your priorities wrong here, you're just saying something for the sake of saying something. Should I have the freedom to go shopping without having to queue? Without having to see orange girls shooting their mouths off? Do you really care about this guy so much you'd willingly sabotage his liberty?

I think you have your priorities wrong here' date=' you're just saying something for the sake of saying something. Should I have the freedom to go shopping without having to queue? Without having to see orange girls shooting their mouths off? Do you really care about this guy so much you'd willingly sabotage his liberty?[/quote']

And a lot of people find him very offensive, should he be allowed to offend others for the sake of his liberty? What about their liberty?

Swings and roundabouts...

(imo, people should be allowed to counter his views in public rather than banning his views...)

Who here is actually religious... and actually go to church because they choose to. and not because it looks good to your boss or whatever it is you freakin noobs do.

I hate all these hypocritical people who care so much about God, and are willing to invest time and money into a religion that has no SOLID foundation to it's existance... Unless I was off school the day God made a visit.

You wanna be religious, fine be religious, but just dont come up to me on the streets, or at my house and pitch me a religion I have no time to invest.

Quoted from Bill Hicks (real god).

All these Christian airbags saying.. 'think of the kids' 'think of the kids'... NO!.... You either love all humans equally or you stfu. what is that? you reach a certain age and your of the love list?

This is my fav. and will probably ignite a sub debate... George Bush is a devout Christian and swears by the bible.. Yet.. He's apart of the biggest devil worshipping secret society in Human existance. lol. Skull & Crossbones club. His father, George Snr along with a few other well known names, Dick Cheney, John Kerry (Bush's opponent in last election...also his cousin) are apart of the same society. George Snr's name in the society is MAGOG, which by folklore is the devils army, hell-bent on destroying Christainity... lol... I wub America for their uncryptical ironic stupidity.

But yea, Religion! Religioff!

And a lot of people find him very offensive' date=' should he be allowed to offend others for the sake of his liberty? What about their liberty?

Swings and roundabouts...

(imo, people should be allowed to counter his views in public rather than banning his views...)[/quote']

Providing he causes no non-consensual harm upon anyone else, there should be no grounds for silencing anyone, anywhere. I fail to believe that this guy is even very offensive. The only people offended would surely be people of differing religions, who still have no right to curb anyone elses freedom on the grounds of their own over-sensitivity.