aberdeen-music

religion...

Hog

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From an outsiders point of view, like if aliens were observing us, I think religion may appear as primitive. Perhaps it's all a crock of shit? Perhaps Chinese Whispers have distorted the truth? Who knows. I'm also just back from The Bassment.

Christianity

To me, Christianity is all about 'Do this, or go to Hell'. The chanting everyone does in church is kinda freaky and makes me think of a cult. I think Christianity has a Holier than Thou thing going on. Sometimes it seems that it's the 'right' way, but that's also just stupid.

Islam

Islamic people? Are they from India? I don't know enough about them to make a comment.

Jehovah's Witness

From what I've heard, they're racist and it comes across as a money-hungry cult.

Hinduism

Hinduism seems like a pretty cool religion. Supposedly there are a few similarities with Christianity, so they both must come from some truth.

Buddhism

Don't know much about this either.

Non religion

I think this is the way forward. But as I say that, I think on God. Maybe God is just in our heads or maybe He is real. I don't think we'll know for sure. We're asked to have Faith and trust that He is real, but it's only mortal beings who ask this of us. Why should they know any better?

I'm undecided.

Guest Page 99
that just cannot expect that humans mutated from sommat...

What the fuck is a sommat!? and why are we expected to mutate from it!?

Religion is a result of early man not being able to explain certain aspects of their lives, hence conjuring up some form of mythical deity which controls everything around them. It's a crock of crap in reality, and Christianity has some of the most un-ethical ideologies at its core. (read: Sexism homophobia Racism ect...)

I don't normally care if someone believes in a god or what not, probably makes them happy, and it's not my place to ram my opinions down other people’s throats. It's people like the idiots outside markies who really piss me off though...

I'm not personally religious, but do understand that some people may find having 'faith' comforting. Although, I do think religion causes a lot of problems, ie war. But that's when it's taken to extremes..

I however don't appreciate it when Christians tell me that I'm going to go to hell because I don't believe in God or Jesus. So, if I cured cancer, but didn't believe in God, I'd go to hell? Good system.

I think everyone is entitled to and should have a beleif of some sort.

Personally i keep mine close and dont talk about them which really should be the way and people shouldnt try to suppress other's beliefs.

Christianity was born out of the Roman Empire's despirate attempts to maintain control. They took the basics of the religion as it was starting, took parts of the old beliefs and mushed it all together to make something new, controlling but easy to assimilate without disrupting your old beliefs or way of life. The bible was put ttogether as a series of lessons and stories to help control the masses. I dont think it was ever meant to be taken literally as some hard line christians do these days.

cant really comment on the others as I dont know enough about it.

Oh, and as for Jehovahs' witnesses, I don't care for them at all. I think it's very wrong to turn up on people's doorsteps and try and impress religion upon them.

Like that speaker thing outside Marks and Spencers.

It's the individuals choice whether or not they want to be religious.

Oh' date=' and as for Jehovahs' witnesses, I don't care for them at all. I think it's very wrong to turn up on people's doorsteps and try and impress religion upon them.

Like that speaker thing outside Marks and Spencers.

It's the individuals choice whether or not they want to be religious.[/quote']

I agree, but I think stuff like how they dont allow blood transfusions is really scary.

As I said, I sit on the fence. I consider myself to be a a spiritual guy who tries to be a good person, isnt that good enough? Dunno. To be scared of God seems pretty scary, I personally think that if you do believe in God then by all means, have respect but fear? Fear sounds so negative. Life shouldnt be one big guilt trip IMHO. Thoughts.....?

dj bible sometimes goes to costa for a cuppa... on the left hand side you can move the speaker to accccess the cd/casette/???? player, i have plotted to make it play anything but bible music for years...

Religon is a tough thing to explain, or handle from and outsiders point of view.

I respect people who have 'faith'.....which is a truly commendable quality to have.

But i dont respect people pushing religon onto other people, i am on the Jehvovas (sp? actually i know thats spelt wrong) 'dont come to door list' and so is my brother, we have spouted too much 'truth' for them to handle, and it is actually truly wrong to try and change someones belief....

(I think i am speaking sense and the truth, if anyone wants to worship me, send me 5 and i will honour you with respect, if you call me Jesus or God.)

Islamic people? Are they from India?

please tell me this was a christmas joke! hahahahaha

No, I should not mock. I'm sure that they are some Islamic people who live in India. Hinduism, budhism and Sikhism are the main ones. Although, I'm sure you are all aware that Budhism is a mystic version of Hinduism.

The Islamic faith originated in the middle east.

I don't do religion myself. One of my friends was a devout Christian who said that God spoke to him in his head. I was slightly concerned that he was listening to the voices in his head.

I've seen the guiness advert and I know that we evolved from mudskippers. But the bit that has me worried is how did it all start? Yeah, OK, it was a big bang. What caused the big bang? Who caused the big bang? Maybe that was the "God" bit.

Not that I lay in bed worrying about it though. I'm more concerned about scraping together enough pennys to be able to afford another pint.

Everyone needs something to believe and I believe I'll have another pint.

Merry xmas everybody

Pete

Hello .... Tv Tanned where are you?

Very big debatable topic here and alot of people have said ignorant things ...... we need your words of "wisdom".

I personally hate all forms of religion from my point of view it only breeds hatred and violence.

Apart from being a jedi.

That breeds power of the mind, body and soul like dope.

Guest bluesxman

I'm not at all religious and have nowhere near enough knowledge about any of the religions named to form a valid opinion. But I don't like religion being forced on me which seems to be what Jehovah's Witnesses try to do by going round doors with their little magazines. And let's face it, if Michael Jackson thought it was a good thing.....

An extremely interesting thread - especially in our increasingly secular times.

Being an Explorer Scout Leader, I've had some excellent discussions/sessions with my unit regarding religion and spirituality, and it's interesting to see the general response from the users of aberdeen-music.

I echo trippinoneastereggs view that "everyone is entitled to and should have a beleif of some sort."

My personal beliefs are quite a mishmash. I was brought up Christian (ish) - church of Scotland (Both my parents are still regular church attenders), but they didn't force it down my throat. I had to go to church/sunday school until I was old enough to be in the house by myself then that was the end of that.

I believe that there is a divine force in every living thing - the force of life. I am undecided however as to whether this force or energy has a consciousness or not.

What I do object to is the opinion of the majority of organised religions that they alone hold the key to the truth, and that they are completely right and everyone else is wrong. I'm a great fan of "The Prophet", by Kahlil Gibran (a Lebanese mystic), and heartily recommmend it to anyone interested in profound and beautiful spiritual writing. (The text can be found at: http://www.columbia.edu/~gm84/gibtable.html) It's broken into passages regarding all aspects of life - love, children, death, beauty, etc. Here's what Gibran says on religion:

And an old priest said, "Speak to us of Religion."

And he said: Have I spoken this day of aught else?

Is not religion all deeds and all reflection,

And that which is neither deed nor reflection, but a wonder and a surprise ever springing in the soul, even while the hands hew the stone or tend the loom?

Who can separate his faith from his actions, or his belief from his occupations?

Who can spread his hours before him, saying, "This for God and this for myself; This for my soul, and this other for my body?"

All your hours are wings that beat through space from self to self.

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked.

The wind and the sun will tear no holes in his skin.

And he who defines his conduct by ethics imprisons his song-bird in a cage.

The freest song comes not through bars and wires.

And he to whom worshipping is a window, to open but also to shut, has not yet visited the house of his soul whose windows are from dawn to dawn.

Your daily life is your temple and your religion.

Whenever you enter into it take with you your all.

Take the plough and the forge and the mallet and the lute,

The things you have fashioned in necessity or for delight.

For in revery you cannot rise above your achievements nor fall lower than your failures.

And take with you all men:

For in adoration you cannot fly higher than their hopes nor humble yourself lower than their despair.

And if you would know God be not therefore a solver of riddles.

Rather look about you and you shall see Him playing with your children.

And look into space; you shall see Him walking in the cloud, outstretching His arms in the lightning and descending in rain.

You shall see Him smiling in flowers, then rising and waving His hands in trees.

He also says elsewhere that "Do not say you have found a truth - rather say that you have found a truth" - I think that all organised religions contain aspects of the truth, or reflections of it. But that no one religion holds the monopoly.

Regards

Flossie

I personally hate all forms of religion from my point of view it only breeds hatred and violence.

I don't go with the 'Religion is the biggest killer of all time' arguement.

There were many non-religious regimes that were extremely bloodthirsty such as the Third Reich, and Stalin.

In fact, many Dictatorships try to discourage religion and education as they rule with an iron fist.

Religion is Stupid.

Sexist, murderous, bigoted crap.

just like the sticker on my guitar says.

EDIT: Also, I love the fact that Jesus is always painted and portrayed as a long haired, bearded white western looking man, when in reality (if there was a reality) he was a fucking palestinian peasant boy.

Guest Neubeatz
dj bible sometimes goes to costa for a cuppa... on the left hand side you can move the speaker to accccess the cd/casette/???? player' date=' i have plotted to make it play anything but bible music for years...[/quote']

Put a Starfall cd in it, that'd convert the effer's!!!:up: