aberdeen-music

album of the year

stuartmaxwell

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

takk by sigur ros

their performance in berlin this summer was one of the gigs of the year and the album has not disappointed. a faultless album which makes me feel amazing any time i listen to it

i cant wait for larsen b/jimmy jazz to have a most positive input into this thread. he is the biggest sigur ros fans i have ever had a thirty mintue post rock gush with in my life

Haha, firstly there is an older thread by moi about the best albums of the year. :kiss: Secondly, i don't hate Sigur Ros, they just don't do anythind profound like people think they do, they just make ear candy. And so to the matter in hand if I have to say one album it would be Funeral by Arcade Fire (UK release before any import-buying hipsters try to show off (edit: oops they already have)), but it's very very closely followed by Mew and the Glass Handed Kites and Before the Dawn Heals Us by M83. There have been heaps of other ace albums this year though.

(UK release before any import-buying hipsters try to show off (edit: oops they already have))

Blimey I'm not that keen, I'm sure I bought my copy in One Up - I just know I had it for the drive down south last Christmas.

Forgot Mew, too - Was converted to them this year. Tompaulin's album is also very good, and I also forgot them.

Takk is currently playing as I'm reading this thread. I'd say that its up there with the best. I just wish I could pronounce the song titles.

Plans by Death Cab For Cutie. Though most fans don't think its anything special, by the time it came out I was gagging for more DCFC, so anything would have made my life. It just so happens that Plans was infact wonderful. No Transatlanticism, but nothing ever will be.

Supernature by Goldfrapp. Loved it when it first came out, kinda went off it for a bit, but recently returned to it and adore it more than ever. The soundtrack to alcohol induced dancing. Confusing choice of singles from it though.

Push The Button by The Chemical Brothers. I think that was this year... Yeah, it must have been. Great album, start to finish. Usually it wouldn't be in my list of the best, but there haven't been that many albums which really appeal to me this year.

The Prodigys greatest hits album was good, but that doesn't really count.

Erm. Yeah. Probably a few others floating about that I was fond of. I guess I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is pretty good. I was also fond of Digital Ash though.

Best album of the year for me: American Head Charge - The Feeding.

Other notables:

Depeche Mode- Playing the angel

Nine Inch Nails- With Teeth

Audioslave- Out Of Exile

Electric Six- Senor Smoke

Billy Corgan- The future embrace (Starts strong, but the quality fades at the end, apart from the magnificant Walking Shade).

Soulfly- Dark Ages

Devildriver- The Fury Of Our Maker

Eels- Blinking Lights and Other Revelations

Foo Fighters- In Your Honour

Paradise Lost - Paradise Lost

Taproot- Blue Sky Research (Surprise of the year!)

Albums I didn't think much of:

Alec Empire- Futurist (In the words of Alan Partridge, "Thats Just a Noise")

Bullet For My Valentine- I can't even remember the name of the album, but it was awful.

Disturbed- Ten Thousand Fists (beefy guitar riff, 'Mad' Davy makes odd squaking noise, repeat till exaustion).

System of a down- Hypnotise/Mezmerise- Wacky music/music for dullards, apart from the amzing BYOB, which is one of the best singles of the year.

All favourites.

Venetian Snares-Rossz Csillaz Allat Szuletett

Om-Variations on a Theme

Marissa Nadler-Saga of Mayflower May

Six Organs of Admittance-School of the Flower

Sunn 0)))-Black One

Khanate-Capture and Release

Black Boned Angel-Supereclipse

Asva-Futurists Against The Ocean

Boards Of Canada-Campfire Headphase

Deathspell Omega-Kenose

Orthrelm-OV

Jesu-s/t

Gurdjieff-Chants,Hymns and Dances

Isis-Panopticon

Guest bluesxman

Queens Of The Stone Age - Lullabies To Paralyze

Dirty Three - Cinder

Gorillaz - Demon Days

Martha Wainwright - Martha Wainwright

Part Chimp - I Am Come

Esmerine - Aurora

Silver Mt. Zion - Horses In The Sky

Immortal Lee County Killers - These Bones Will Rise To Love You

Black Mountain - Black Mountain

I think these are different from what I may have posted in another thread but such is the way my mind works....Sigur Ros is pretty good but I don't see it as a phenomenal work of genius, that's individual opinions for ya....

I going to ripped to shit for this...

One Way Ticket to Hell...and Back - The Darknesss (Fucking incredible, it can't fail to put me in a good mood, I can't stop listening to it)

Late Registration - Kanye West

Ginger's new solo record would be on my list probably, if there hadn't been the predictably inevitable problems getting it....

The best album this year for me was easily Funeral by Arcade Fire, THe Uk release was February 28th this year, one of the few albums this year I was really waiting for it to be released.

My other favourites this year have been:

Bright Eyes - I'm wide awake..

S.O.A.D - Mezmerize / Hypnotize

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

Jamie Liddel - Multiply

Saul Williams - Saul Williams

White Stripes - Get behind me satan

Willy Mason - Oxygen (I'm not certain when it was released though, maybe i got it last year)

The best album this year for me was easily Funeral by Arcade Fire' date=' THe Uk release was February 28th this year, one of the few albums this year I was really waiting for it to be released.

My other favourites this year have been:

Bright Eyes - I'm wide awake..

S.O.A.D - Mezmerize / Hypnotize

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

Jamie Liddel - Multiply

Saul Williams - Saul Williams

White Stripes - Get behind me satan

Willy Mason - Oxygen (I'm not certain when it was released though, maybe i got it last year)[/quote']

I forgot about willy mason!

doh!

was ray lamontagne this year, or late last year? (might hav been Jan, too)...

Guest pop-notmyface

oh god, that "new" foo fighters - we all know it's not really new, it's just the tracks that didn't make the cut for "one by one". or at least they sound like it - very disappointing.

Late Registration - Kanye West

crackin album that one

faves of the year go to

kings of leon - aha shake heartbreak

bright eyes - im wide awake.....

coldplay - x&y

juliana theory - deadbeat sweetheartbeat

sufjan stevens - illinois

wilco - live in chicago

the national - alligator

death cab for cutie - plans

ryan adams - cold roses

I got to work and started itching' date=' thinking 'Is Takk the best album this year?'. It's actually been a pretty damn good year for releases in my opinion, here's my favourites:

Dirty Three - Cinder

Low - Great Destroyer

Einsturzende Neubauten - Grundsteuck

Bikini Atoll - Liar's Exit

Final Fantasy - Has A Good Home

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem

M Ward - Transistor Radio

Alec Empire - Futurist

Les Georges Leningrad - Sur Les Traces Du Black Eskimo

Iron and Wine / Calexico - In The Reins

Desc - Jack In The Box

Raveonettes - Pretty In Black

Clor - Clor

King Automatic - Automatic Ray

Gorillaz - Demon Days

Broken Family Band - Welcome Home Loser

Kid Carpet - Ideas and Oh Dears

65daysofstatic - One Time For All Time

Thomas Truax - Audio Addiction

The Kills - No Wow

Sons And Daughters - The Repulsion Box

Psapp - Tiger, My Friend

Smog - A River Ain't Too Much To Love

Alabama 3 - Outlaw

Broken Social Scene - Feel Good Lost

Sod it, I've realised - Takk is a frankly amazing album, but it's overshadowed by a January release. I've listened to this album so much it feels like it's been in my collection forever, so it's got to win over everything for me:

Bonnie Prince Billy and Matt Sweeney - Superwolf[/quote']

I'm surprised not to see 'Mourning Sun' by Fields of the Nephilim in there.

I'm surprised not to see 'Mourning Sun' by Fields of the Nephilim in there.

Probably because I haven't got it yet ;D I'm really behind on a lot of albums from this year, and to be honest I was waiting for someone I knew to get it first and let me know if it's any good. The single out a few years ago was just a crappy rehash of old material that left me very dissappointed, but if the new album is worth getting I'll grab it.

Probably because I haven't got it yet ;D I'm really behind on a lot of albums from this year' date=' and to be honest I was waiting for someone I knew to get it first and let me know if it's any good. The single out a few years ago was just a crappy rehash of old material that left me very dissappointed, but if the new album is worth getting I'll grab it.[/quote']

It's definately my favourite of the year but I guess I'm biased!

It's like listening to a darker Fields of the Nephilim from the late '80s. A great comeback.