aberdeen-music

Valor Del Corazn (New Ginger solo album)

Afro Droid

From Ginger's website:

There's been a minor delay to the limited pre-release of Valor Del Corazon; we have a message from Sammy Andrews with all the details:

"Hi everyone,

We're really sorry about the delay with the album.

Unfortunately it's out of our hands...Our distributor, Cargo, have not managed to turn it around in time to meet the 19th, due to the Christmas madness we were warned about... but they have assured us it will be out in the next few days and all those that have ordered WILL get their copy, Its just going to be a few days late.

No one will be getting it before anyone else as all shipments to the online stores take place at the same time... So as soon as they get it from the manufacturers, it'll be sent straight out to you guys.

We've done all we can to get this out for Christmas and if there was anything we could do to speed this up we would, but right now its out of our control. I promise you will have it as soon as it's done.

Just to clear up any confusion about when and where its going to be available from ...It will be available online in ltd numbers, till Jan 9th when you will be able to get it from all good record stores.

Thanks for being so patient, I assure you it's worth the wait!

Sammy Andrews

x"

I feel another Infernal-style debacle approaching....

LIES! LIES! LIES!

From Ginger's website:

There's been a minor delay to the limited pre-release of Valor Del Corazon; we have a message from Sammy Andrews with all the details:

"Hi everyone' date='

We're really sorry about the delay with the album.

Unfortunately it's out of our hands...Our distributor, Cargo, have not managed to turn it around in time to meet the 19th, due to the Christmas madness we were warned about... but they have assured us it will be out in the next few days and all those that have ordered WILL get their copy, Its just going to be a few days late.

No one will be getting it before anyone else as all shipments to the online stores take place at the same time... So as soon as they get it from the manufacturers, it'll be sent straight out to you guys.

We've done all we can to get this out for Christmas and if there was anything we could do to speed this up we would, but right now its out of our control. I promise you will have it as soon as it's done.

Just to clear up any confusion about when and where its going to be available from ...It will be available online in ltd numbers, till Jan 9th when you will be able to get it from all good record stores.

Thanks for being so patient, I assure you it's worth the wait!

Sammy Andrews

x"

I feel another Infernal-style debacle approaching....[/quote']

• 2 weeks later...

I too have the "rare" version.

Anyhoo, brief review of CD1 (I've shosen to digest each individually, as I haven't had time o sit down to both at once, so sticking with one for a while)

Ace. Wasn't really sure at first, but the tracks have all grown on me so much I was singing along at the top of my voice on the way home.

Ugly - Crunching "Endless Nameless" first track. Bit of a surprise, but a fucking great one (I love that album). Why don't more bands copy that style? Who else SOUNDS like that? Punch to the face of an opener, going into....

Mother City - Best chorus Gingers written in many a moon, honky-tonk piano, straight up SG5 style guitar stomp, but with an understated pre-chorus that sets up for a goosebump ridden "New York City, She's My Rock N Roll!!!" Seriously awesome.

G.T.T - Funky instrumental that brings to mind Black Grape of all people. Samples from "hellraiser" and a stack of other sources puntuate the general boogy-vibe, with a simple razor guitar to remind us this is RAWK. Can't help but bop along...

Yeah Yeah Yeah - More SG5 guitars and a HUGE chorus again. Wouldn't be surprised if this had been penned for the SG5 album. The lyrical theme confuses me a bit - its all about a girl trying to "make it like it used to be" - but wasn't Ginger the one who fucked up in this "personal" album? Not that that matters a fucking ounce. YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!

This is Only A Problem - Country twangs, pedal steel, bit of a repetative chorus, and one of my least favourite initially, but its grown on me a lot. Not as instant, or balls out as the rest so far, but a strong tune on repeat listens.

Ten Flaws Down - Quite a Wildhearts-y introspective lurve song. but with the guitars turned right down. Again, a grower. Least fave track. And its WAY too fucking long. (

Paramour - Ginger was playing this on his last tour. "I'd like to fuck her too". Nice pop ditty. Understated piano, subtle chorus.

The Man Who Cheated Death - Unbelievably great tune. Huge soudning, reminds me of "Church of the Broken Hearted" (actually, haven't listened to that in a while...). Soaring chorus, fantatstic lyrics - love this song...

So out the 8, 5 straight-up, 5-star acts of godlike genius, three great back up tunes. Gonna give it a couple more days, then start digesting part 2.....

I thought GTT ws more like Primal Scream, it's a fucking corker. Agree on This is Only A Problem, it's the only tune I skip thru. Ten Flaws Down has moved me to tears twice now -the chorus is fucking unbelievable. How does a human man write a song that good? I'm having 'Valor Del Corazon" tattooed on my chest next weekend.

My take on Disc 2...

The Drunken Lord of Everything - could be the bittersweet cousin of Geordie in Wonderland, in that it has a fairly celtic feel. A really heart-felt lyric, the kind of song you'd sing with your bros after a drunken night out complaining about the machinations of women.

L.O.V.E - Bit of a headfuck this one, intricate eigthies stadium guitars clashing with a female le soaring vocal. Weird, but great. Reminds me of Prince's Purple Rain a bit (!)

The Way - One of my favs. The chorus comes out of nowhere and is HUGE. Another top-notch set of lyrics displaying that Ginge truely is at his best when he's at odds with the world.

Drinking In The Daytime - Starts out kinda funky/country, some awesome pedal steel guitar giving way to a classic Wildhearts-style riff-o-rama, giving way to some awesome melodic glam-stomp work-outs reminiscent of SG5. It's a bit like all the best of Ginger's stuff in one tune!

Keep It Cool - nice mellow track with big hooks and another female-led chorus.

Only Lonely - Again, reminds me of SG5, with another simple yet plaintive lyric.

Your Mouth - A sinister piano ballad about kicking the fuck out of someone. Weirdly hateful, given that it's just vocals and piano.

Change - Again, another MASSIVE chorus, more like the singles club stuf than anything else.

My Friend The Enemy - Kinda half-way between The Wildhearts and SG5, nice riffs, and the best chord changes I've heard in while

Bulb - Holy fuck - where'd that guitar solo come from?!

Something to Believe - Nice gospel-y style tune, another fantastic lyric too: "Music will get you through times of no love, better than love will get through times of no music." Spot on Ginge!

Overall, I consider it a masterpiece, up there with Black Leather Mojo and Fishing for Lucikies anyways. But then I would say that....

• 4 weeks later...