aberdeen-music

Strapping Young Lad/ Arch Enemy

Hog

It was at the QMU.

SYL played a very short set due to time restrictions.

Imperial

Skesis

All Hail the New Flesh

Love

In the Rainy Season

The crowd were mental, I was even pushed to the ground and I was at the back of the venue lol. Shame it was so short but it was by far the most aggressive set I have seen SYL play.

Arch Enemy-

Technically tight band who are all very talented. Great Stage presence. I think I need to buy some of their albums to appreciate them better because their tunes sounded a bit samey and after a while I was bored. After 2 or 3 guitar solos and a drum solo I wish that this time was better spent either a) playing songs or b) giving Strapping a longer set.

dscf001010ez.jpg

Yeah man, I didnt like the venue. The queue was too slow (missed the first band), and it was like trying to enter the White House! A wrist band to drink, a body search (fair enough), sign a form to be allowed in, then tickets in and out of certain areas, also wasnt allowed to stand in perfectly normal areas.

I really liked the venue when i went to see Chimaira and Lamb of God! Although it is a bit of a hassle to get in, which also made me miss The Agony Scene who were on with Devildriver and Lamb of God, BASTARDS!!

Apart from that i thought it was a good venue!!

Not really on the same par as the barrowlands or the carling academy tho!

Yeah man' date=' I didnt like the venue. The queue was too slow (missed the first band), and it was like trying to enter the White House! A wrist band to drink, a body search (fair enough), sign a form to be allowed in, then tickets in and out of certain areas, also wasnt allowed to stand in perfectly normal areas.[/quote']

just as a brief method of explanation, the QMU is a private member club and so technically you should only be in there if you're a member. this wasn't a problem normally, but the licensing restictions are in the process of being tightened and so it was decided by the board of management to play by the rules and get everyone to sign up for a temporary membership when they get in. the problem with this is obvious as it's quite time consuming. if you're going to a gig and you're a student, chances are that you'll be at a union that has a reciprocal agreement, meaning that you don't need to sign up, you can just go in.

the searches at the QMU are some of the most comprehensive you'll get, but if it ensures your safety at the gig, that's not a bad thing.

the wrist bands are necessary because the union cannot afford to get pulled up for underage drinking. just like any other establishment, this is a big issue.

not sure about the tickets in and out of areas, but they's usually fine as long us you're not standing in a doorway or exit route.

spoons

/x

Indeed Spoonie' date=' I dont mind being searched etc its good they have tight security. What I do mind is the painfully slow queue which results in my listening to the entire set by the first band outside (even although I was very much in time for the gig)[/quote']

it's true dude, it is fairly shite. sadly, because it's outside promoters just using the venue and they all have different tickets depensing on where you buy yours, it's nigh on impossible to get them printed with a little explanation of why you should arrive even earlier for the gig.

it's something that has been a problem for a while and noone can come up with a solution.

/x