aberdeen-music

Awww...

Rachie

This is why it's so important to donate blood. Just one donation can help save someone's life:

I got a xmas card through my door about 2 minutes ago. From the parents of a baby boy who blood was given to, he's now home for his first xmas. Without the blood transfusions he received he wouldn't be alive.

If you're ever going to do it, do it now, the Christmas period is well known for the rise in traffic accidents and other injuries that require blood transfusions. So I'll repeat what I said in my thread back in August:

Please Give Blood.

It only takes a little out of your day, it doesn't hurt (stubbing your toe is far worse, trust me), and it can make a difference to someone's life.

(Plus you get free biscuits and tea after...)

There is a donating oppurtunity on the 20th and 21st of December from 4pm-7.30pm on both days. This is at the Blood Donor Centre on Foresterhill Road (across the road from the main part of ARI). Although you can also donate at other times too, just have a look at www.scotblood.co.uk

Cheers for taking the time to read this.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tv tanned

well said Rachie, I don't give blood currently, but my fiancee has done for years, I have a needle phobia, but she's going to take me with her one time when we're both free to give me support.

I have nothing but admiration for people who donate blood to save others.

Well, I plan on going back on Tuesday but the last time I gave blood, it took the life right out of me for about a week. And I'd like to be in good health this Christmas.

I don't know why more folk don't do it, to be honest. Apparently there's been a big decline in the numbers doing so...

well said Rachie' date=' I don't give blood currently, but my fiancee has done for years, I have a needle phobia, but she's going to take me with her one time when we're both free to give me support.

I have nothing but admiration for people who donate blood to save others.[/quote']

Its not as bad as you think it will be. You dont have to look at your arm and it really doesnt hurt.

Guest DustyDeviada
Pretty much.

Really? So they would turn down a heterosexual on the basis that they have had anal sex?

It's still ridiculous as TV Tanned says that they point blank will not take blood from homosexuals.

Not all gay people have anal sex. Others may be celibate' date=' like Steven Fry and most Catholic priests.

They won't take my blood because I'm diabetic. And possibly because they [i']suspect that I'm gay.

Really? So they would turn down a heterosexual on the basis that they have had anal sex?

It's still ridiculous as TV Tanned says that they point blank will not take blood from homosexuals.

Not all gay people have anal sex. Others may be celibate' date=' like Steven Fry and most Catholic priests.

They won't take my blood because I'm diabetic. And possibly because they [i']suspect that I'm gay.

Sorry I should've put more on to my answer but I was in a rush.

Basically they ask if you engage in risky behaviour which includes having sex a lot.

So i wouldn't think it is the case of "you are gay we aren't letting you give blood".

I am certain it's more to do with the sex life you lead.

Surely people, in this case, homosexuals should be allowed at least to donate their blood.

After all, if they do have AIDS, or any other sexually transmitted disease like a hetrosexual could have, then they'll be testing the blood anyway to make sure it's safe.

At least give homosexuals an oppurtunity to help others instead of just banning them outright. It doesn't seem very fair.

PS. I didn't know Stephen Fry was gay. Learn something new everyday.

Really?! I just thought you were bisexual! hehe.

The funny thing is that more Heterosexual people in the UK are HIV positive compared to Gay people, however, there are less gay people than hetero people. Its a difficult one.