aberdeen-music

Roy 'Chubby' Brown

Lazy Gun

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluesxman

Chubby Brown seemed funny when I was in my early teens, I think because of the shock value in what he was coming out with to someone of that age. As i've gotten older I find his act pretty laughable (not in the good way for him), saw one of his recent DVD's when I worked offshore, same old rubbish. However, he has his audience and why would he change when he can draw a big live crowd and sell shed loads of DVD's to people who think he is the epitome of comedic genius.....Same goes for that Jethro character who myself and some of my workmates went to see at the Music Hall on behest of one guy who swore he was funny. We left to go to the pub after his ten millionth reference to 'parting the whiskers' of some lady. Yawn.

Would have rather seen Oasis myself, but it takes all sorts....

Most of the time because there is no point challenging somone on an opinion because it is how they feel and i aint going to try to force them to think otherwise.

if someones opinion is borne of ignorance, they might well thank you for changing the way they feel. Not that i'm saying you're ignorant in any way about racism/sexism etc, just that it's worth bearing in mind.

/x

Chubby Brown seemed funny when I was in my early teens' date=' I think because of the shock value in what he was coming out with to someone of that age. As i've gotten older I find his act pretty laughable (not in the good way for him), saw one of his recent DVD's when I worked offshore, same old rubbish. However, he has his audience and why would he change when he can draw a big live crowd and sell shed loads of DVD's to people who think he is the epitome of comedic genius....[/quote']

Gotta agree with you - RCB was funny when I was a kid but as you get older you grow out of it. It all gets a bit tedious & repetive after a while, it's hardly comedy to make you think, you know?

The audience gets what the audience wants, I suppose - and if they want the same joke told over and over again then that's their perogative.

Just thought i would get my word in here.

Having met the man himself, i can safely say he is one of the nicest people i have veer met, belive it or not he is not a rascist or a sexist, its all just part of the show, and if he didn't have that shock value how else is he ment to get your attention, i think and always have thought that comediens shouldn't have to censor what they say, i have seen him a few times, and think he is funny, does that make me a racist, NO because i also like Richard Prior and Jo Brand I laugh at her jokes about men, if you can't take some jokes with a pinch of salt, then in my opinion you have no sense of humor and/or are always serious.

I also thought Chubby on the Frank Skinner show was horrible and all Frank did was take the piss out of him.

Thats just what i think but hey who ever listens to me.

and if he didn't have that shock value how else is he ment to get your attention

Totally dude, that's why I introduce myself to people by hitting them with a cosh, before administering a well-timed kick to the genitals, and as they come up for air showing them a photo of myself in flagrante delicto with their mother.

PS You are a racist. Your mother told me.

Guest bluesxman
Just thought i would get my word in here.

Having met the man himself' date=' i can safely say he is one of the nicest people i have veer met, belive it or not he is not a rascist or a sexist, its all just part of the show, and if he didn't have that shock value how else is he ment to get your attention, i think and always have thought that comediens shouldn't have to censor what they say, i have seen him a few times, and think he is funny, does that make me a racist, NO because i also like Richard Prior and Jo Brand I laugh at her jokes about men, if you can't take some jokes with a pinch of salt, then in my opinion you have no sense of humor and/or are always serious.

I also thought Chubby on the Frank Skinner show was horrible and all Frank did was take the piss out of him.

Thats just what i think but hey who ever listens to me.[/quote']

I saw that interview and he does come across as a nice enough chap, i'm not denying that. His act is just a bit past what I consider funny nowadays.

I didn't think Skinner took the piss out of him anymore than any other guest i've seen him interview. What he did do was state how uncomfortable the racism in Chubby's new DVD made him and Chubby didn't really come up with a decent answer other than 'I don't mean it really, it's all an act'. That attitude probably would have got accepted with the standards of the past, these days it doesn't quite fit.

I'm not for the over the top political correctness, I always think you need to have context, others think there is no difference in situations, so be it. It won't be solved on here, it will just end up another 5 pages of arguing.

he's rubbish. not funny at all. chubby brown, jim davidson and bernard manning are all comics from a bygone age who should be left to rot in comedy hell.

when I was on holiday earlier this year there was a chubby brown impersonator in one of the pubs. I've never seen a more annoying indivdual in all my life. it kind of summed up the place we were staying though.

Yes' date=' let's jump on the old 'political correctness is rubbish' bandwagon.

I'm not saying that we should tiptoe round issues, but being offensive for the sake of being offensive is a pointless pursuit.[/quote']

It's entirely down to political correctness. To put it simply, he's getting attacked for being sexist etc. He wasn't attacked for this before political correctness was big. You work it out.

Guest tv tanned

you mean before we decided that being derogatory towards women wasn't funny anymore?

i take it the same goes for those jokes about wogs and pakis that were such a riot in the 70s?

It was a decision was it? "Okay, from this day on - no jokes about women, they're not funny anymore. Lets get Benny Hill off the air, he's warping the minds of Britain's youth."

Considering the fact that Roy Chubby Brown is still doing plenty of gigs, don't you think your statement - "you mean before we decided that being derogatory towards women wasn't funny anymore?" - is actually wrong?

"i take it the same goes for those jokes about wogs and pakis that were such a riot in the 70s?"

Oh, the old racism card. And so soon after I was getting accused of playing the PC card. Nice one, Mrs Whitehouse.

you mean before we decided that being derogatory towards women wasn't funny anymore?

i take it the same goes for those jokes about wogs and pakis that were such a riot in the 70s?

you mean those jokes told by Richard Pryor... yeah they were pretty good.

if something is funny its funny.

bet you've lauhged at a ginger in your time - you redist. you should be hung

Guest tv tanned
It was a decision was it? "Okay' date=' from this day on - no jokes about women, they're not funny anymore. Lets get Benny Hill off the air, he's warping the minds of Britain's youth."

Considering the fact that Roy Chubby Brown is still doing plenty of gigs, don't you think your statement - "you mean before we decided that being derogatory towards women wasn't funny anymore?" - is actually wrong?

"i take it the same goes for those jokes about wogs and pakis that were such a riot in the 70s?"

Oh, the old racism card. And so soon after I was getting accused of playing the PC card. Nice one, Mrs Whitehouse.[/quote']

OK, so some people find him funny.

I don't, and am perfectly within my rights to say so, and to explain why, without being accused of being Mary Whitehouse.

I have no aversion to use of bad language on TV, but to try and suggest that I'm somehow not normal for refusing to find sexist and racist jokes funny is something of a stretch.

Guest tv tanned
you mean those jokes told by Richard Pryor... yeah they were pretty good.

if something is funny its funny.

bet you've lauhged at a ginger in your time - you redist. you should be hung

Ah the old "Richard Pryor told those jokes, so they're funny" justification.

NEWSFLASH - you don't need to appreciate every joke a comedian makes in order to find him/her amusing.

No, I'm not really one for mocking people on the basis of their appearance, given how I look it would be like throwing stones in a glass house.

OK' date=' so some people find him funny.

I don't, and am perfectly within my rights to say so, and to explain why, without being accused of being Mary Whitehouse.

I have no aversion to use of bad language on TV, but to try and suggest that I'm somehow not normal for refusing to find sexist and racist jokes funny is something of a stretch.[/quote']

You're actually very normal for "refusing" to find sexist/ racist jokes funny (insomuch as it's trendy to be like that these days). If you just didn't happen to find them funny, that would be fair enough, but everything you've wrote on this thread reeks of the old high-and-mighty attitude of the PC brigade. Taking a principled stance against a stand-up comedian is ridiculous.