aberdeen-music

Fixing a walkman/mp3 player

David

the jack on my walkman has started going crackley which is rather annoying, i asked in john lewis (where i got it) and they mentioned somewhere that may be able to fix it (i dont think it shoudl be a hard job, just i dont want to go opening it up myself), but i completely forgot the name, any ideas what it could have been?

David

sony NW HD1

ipodish :)

basically the headphones jack is either dirty or have come a bit loose on the pcb, if i move the headphones jack about (ie move the player) i get a crackley sound and it the sound can fade in/out a little

i will try cleaning it if i can get my hands on any suitable cleaner, but i dont want to go opening the player up - my soldering skills are fine building a pedal or something, but i dont trust myself not to fry something like a walkman trying to resolder it...

David

yup, I had the problem with the Zen Micro too, pretty shit really. It started after about 4 months. Meh. If you google search for 'how to fix zen micro' or something you should be able to find a link to a page in the Creative forums which will telly uo how to fix it. Looked a bit tricky to me though, but maybe you're more technologically minded than i am.

Guest pop-notmyface

these things weren't made to last. they are not like the good old tape players, like the "real" walkmen (i'm sure there is a functioning one from the 80s still kicking about here somewhere...)

all these mp3 players (except ipods) are simply expendable as soon as you buy them, really.