aberdeen-music

Decent hi-fi repair service in Aberdeen?

Neil

Does anyone know of a decent hi-fi repair service in Aberdeen? I've got a high-end Marantz CD player that I'd like repaired/serviced. The unit works but the bass and treble signals are all over the place so something funny is going on. It's a CD6000 OSE KI Signature Edition model if that means anything to anyone.

Anyone got some good suggestions? I'm happy to pay a premium to get this fixed by someone decent rather than some bloke off the street attempt to fix it for 50 or something.

I've tried a few things with the player. Tried different CDs, tried different leads, tried plugging it into different inputs in the amp but the problem is the same. What's worrying and what makes me thing it's a problem with the CD player is that if I gently tap the top of the unit then the sound changes - sometimes mostly bass comes out of one speaker and treble out of the other. Sometimes the treble disappears completely. It's very strange.

Yep, I do run other audio through the amp. The output of my PC's soundcard (line out) and my minidisc player/recorder hi-fi seperate. They both sound and work fine which makes me think it isn't the amp. However, I'll trying plugging the CD player into a different input on the amp. I don't think I've done that as yet (it's just plugging into the designated CD input on the amp just now).

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Bass and treble signals all over the place? Does it have rotary bass and treble controls? Sounds like bad potentiometers to me. A really cheap fix. More likely however its just a loose wire if it changes when you tap it. You could take the cover off and see if theres anything obvious out of place or shorting anywhere.

Bass and treble signals all over the place? Does it have rotary bass and treble controls? Sounds like bad potentiometers to me. A really cheap fix. More likely however its just a loose wire if it changes when you tap it. You could take the cover off and see if theres anything obvious out of place or shorting anywhere.

There's no pots on the CD player, and it would appear that the amp works fine.

What's confusing me is that it seems to be the CD player (all other audio works fine through the amp), but there are normally no circuits in a CD player to provide either low or high pass filters, and it sounds like the problem is occuring either in or after a band pass filter.

I wouldn't put it past Marantz to have some signal processing other than amplification though.

Thanks for the comments guys. Now for some answers, yes, the amp (NAD C350) does have rotary bass and treble controls but I don't use them and the tone defeat button is switched on (which I believe sets the amp to bypass these controls anyway). Or were you referring to controls on the CD player? Because there isn't any on that.

Yes, the CD player does have a headphone socket so I'll try that right now and let you know how I get on...