aberdeen-music

Stayover + MMW + Baby Karma + others

Cloud

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok now I've had a chance to actually see MMW live, I feel I'm in a position to give proper critism on them.

Firstly, their genre is not my thing at all. I thought that all I could hear was a Funeral for a Friend spin off band. I'm sorry, but the guitars and vocals didn't show any hint of originality. Infact all of the songs were too similar for me to even notice any difference between them. They are obviously not good at what they do, but from watching last night it is horrifically obvious that all they do is play up to this "emo" fad and give these whinging 13 year olds with piss poor haircuts another hour of songs to cry to.

That is my honest opinion, I thought that the guys seemed actually reasonable in real life, especially Jamesy (actually scratch that, the singer seems like a complete cunt, a total nancy boy and if he said "Thanks Guys" one more time I'm sure he would have starting crying on stage) but I just really can't see anything in the music that I would call original, or even interesting.

Other than that I'm glad the gig went well Hog, however your reasons for switching the order still remain a mystery to us...

Cos I was pretty damn impressed with your playing and your voice... you certainly struck me as someone who's influenced by Steve Tucker and David Vincent anyway? Never a bad thing!

Cheers man,

to be honest i thought you would have hated us, but what do i know?

I thought my Growls were awfull last night but i will fix them for the next gig.

Cheers man' date='

to be honest i thought you would have hated us, but what do i know?

I thought my Growls were awfull last night but i will fix them for the next gig.[/quote']

Nah man, I'm not that much into grind (except for the odd band like the Red Chord) - but I love death metal - everything from the early 90's stuff to the more recent bands - and to be honest I didn't think you guys were particularly grind. Your growls were fine dude, you look pretty menacing... possibly except for your slight stature! :D

Ok now I've had a chance to actually see MMW live' date=' I feel I'm in a position to give proper critism on them.

[/quote']

To be fair dude - you are in Ascension, and therefore not in a position to give ANYONE criticism.

I'm not gonna share my honest opinion on Ascension, because it would just seem like a chlidish response to yours.

Ok now I've had a chance to actually see MMW live' date=' I feel I'm in a position to give proper critism on them.

Firstly, their genre is not my thing at all. I thought that all I could hear was a Funeral for a Friend spin off band. I'm sorry, but the guitars and vocals didn't show any hint of originality. Infact all of the songs were too similar for me to even notice any difference between them. They are obviously not good at what they do, but from watching last night it is horrifically obvious that all they do is play up to this "emo" fad and give these whinging 13 year olds with piss poor haircuts another hour of songs to cry to.

That is my honest opinion, I thought that the guys seemed actually reasonable in real life, especially Jamesy (actually scratch that, the singer seems like a complete cunt, a total nancy boy and if he said "Thanks Guys" one more time I'm sure he would have starting crying on stage) but I just really can't see anything in the music that I would call original, or even interesting.

Other than that I'm glad the gig went well Hog, however your reasons for switching the order still remain a mystery to us...[/quote']

Ok fuck the music doing the talking...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

What a fucking tossbag you are HAHAHAHAHAHA.

You're right, im a total cunt, and yes i'm a total nancy boy. It gets me girls...you should try it man ppffffttt!

All our songs sound the same, JESUS! You actually have no idea how bad your piss poor band are do you? Your guitar tones are the worst. They sound like a belt sander about to burn out. Scorges drumming is actually HORRIBLE. The vocals HAHAHAHAHAHHA!! What the fuck were those?? I'll give him the name of my vocal coach..in fact..nah, I wouldnt subject him to that voice.

I seriously DONT think you know how bad your band is. I actually felt embarrassed for you onstage and the way people were leaving. You were by far the WORST band on that bill by a huge amount.

Youre the kind of band that makes me feel that youre wasting electricity by performing.

Oh and if you want these comments said to your face ill gladly do that. Just ask where the "nancy boy" from Weapon is...im easy found.

Maybe i say "thanks guys" because we have people that care about our band and enjoy our music and it means alot when they are moving for us, singing and enjoying what we do. Its a great and humbling feeling. Shame you'll never have that.

you did add to the night though. Basically you had good bands and then some comedy relief at the end with your set. Thanks for that :up:

Guest tv tanned
Just a temporary ban (for now) .... and it looks like Ben will be following him for a couple of days too.

Would prefer to get 'feedback' on the gig itself' date=' not inter band slanging matches.

:love:[/quote']

Good to see the amnesty proving yet again that some people just cannot help but get banned over and over and over...

Gutted I missed this gig, seems like one helluva line-up, Hog is to be commended on his efforts.

Next time gadget...

To be fair dude - you are in Ascension' date=' and therefore not in a position to give ANYONE criticism.

I'm not gonna share my honest opinion on Ascension, because it would just seem like a chlidish response to yours.[/quote']

agreed.

but really this thread has gone the same way as they alll do, "oh i dont like your band" oh so you must be a complete dick then" its fucking pathetic.

but for the record ove not seen a band empty a venue like asencion ever, that was impressive.

Other than that I'm glad the gig went well Hog, however your reasons for switching the order still remain a mystery to us...[/quote']

To be honest, I'm totally gutted with that post. I was hoping last night would be the end of all your bullshit. Time to get over it.

Guest DustyDeviada
You were by far the WORST band on that bill by a huge amount.

Being a "glass is half full rather than half empty" kinda guy, I take this as a compliment for Baby Karma, cheers buddy. :up:

Jesus motherfuck!! Everyone got on alright last night then all the pussies start again on t`internet.

I had a great night although i wasnt subjected to us, cause i thought we werent all that good. We know we can play better but hey, no point gryin about it as the night was fuckin awsome.

Much respect due to ELEMENT 106, WEEPIN JESUS AND MY MINDS WEAPON you guys were fuckin great. Especially Element and Weepin Jesus who i love and really enjoy playin with.

And CLOUD thanks your opinion means alot to me, how much of the set did you see, if you went all the up to drummond for tears of grace?!

That was a decent gig and from the bands i had seen it really shows the potential that Aberdeen has to offer.

Here is my wee review of the night:

Baby Karma : Came in halfway through but i liked what i heard like most of the bands on the billl not something i would listen to on a daily basis but Dancing on the Tables and Sweetest Smile Stand out tracks.

Stayover : Guitar could have been turned up a notch but ah well....once again music nae my thing but if li listened to blink style punk you guys would be on top of things i need to hump. p.s We need more drummers with mic headsets.

Statue Of Misery : I personally found the songs quite dull and uninspiring. Nothing else to say really apart from take the time out write some songs that don't all sound the same.

Weeping Jesus : Heard alot about this band so i looked forword to them...YASSS !!!!

a few songs sounded out of time but once nothing more practise will sort out.

With Dan on the vocals sounding like Dave Vincent maybe a few morbid angel covers in the set would be smashing hahaha..... Lots of thrashy punk moments which is great got some movement out of folk.

Element 106 : Plagued by technical problems DON'T TRUST wireless systems.Some decent songs like could do with some working on. Band/crowd enjoyed the set so what more could you ask for.

My Minds Weapon : first thing i said to myself was ditch the mellow parts and some more double bass and i would be sold.

thing that always gets me is Dans guitar playing ....... you can hear all your different influences when you play particulary carcass in your solos.

The banter i felt should have kept between between bands but hey im nae on stage not my decision if it was you would all be on fire n mexico.

Keep it up dooods.....

Had to leave during My Minds Weapon so didn't catch Ascension.

Good Night and money/awareness was raised so very sucssesful all round.

Well I'm actually gonna give a proper review of all the bands, as constructively as possible:

Firstly I'll apologise for missing baby karma, but I HAD to get some food and just missed their set.

Stayover.

I'd start by saying that I wish they'd have gone in the middle to break up the metal bands. However, I thought Stayover were really good - and although not my style of music, the one thing apparent is that they are a well rehearsed, professional band and had the best sound quality of the night. They also showed a good amount of crowd interaction and you could tell there were people at the gig to see them. Triple vocal harmonies aren't the easiest to pull off but it is very obvious how much work they put into them. I can understand fully why people into this sort of thing love them.

Statue Of Misery

Sound quality was pretty muddy, but was good to see a heavy band with some sung vocals - definitely a Black Sabbath and Black Label Society influenced band! Some good riffs in there, although could have been a little tighter in places. I kept wanting to sing in a Justice era Hetfield voice over the songs though :D

Weeping Jesus

Again the sound was very muddy, but damn these guys were brutal. Forgive me for saying this, but it occasionally ventured into nu-metal territory (I don't mean that in a derogatory way) but for the biggest part sounded much like the roadrunner bands in the mid 90's (Sepultura/Deicide/Morbid Andgel/Machine Head etc). Thought the bassist was a quality front man - kinda like a mini-me more-things-change-robb-flynn who's had some death metal presence lessons from glenn Benton and David vincent. Ace! To be honest I can fully appreciate why people would both love or hate Weeping Jesus :) Songs kinda merged into one in MY opinion - although most bands that use a lot of tuned-to-B riffage and no melodic parts (vocals or guitar parts) do that on their first listen.

Element 106

Sound was better for these guys. Singers voice was pretty cool - reminded me greatly of Nick Holmes (gothic era). Had some good songs in there but also a few more basic ones that again, to me sounded quite nu-metal (open, 1, open 1, open 1; for all those guitarists reading this ;)) Not always the tightest throughout the gig, but was enjoying the pinched Harmonics Hog :up: Neonfluxicide (sp? - it's a made up word!) was probably the highlight of the set - and also playing a shorted set definitely benefitted them, as them WJ and SoM are all similarish sounding!

My Mind's Weapon

What can I say, it was great to follow a raffle :D

Thought we had a pretty decent gig - and I had a lot of fun. Nuff said.

Ascension

Had the worst sound of the night by a long way, unfortunately. I couldn't hear a single note during any of the guitar solos which was a shame as they at least LOOKED impressive. Singers voice was definitely a highlight for me - as far as POWER METAL singers go I certainly haven't heard anyone better in Aberdeen (yet). He also seemed to be getting into the songs a little which was good as the bass player and gregor (stage left guitarist) especially didn't seem to move a single muscle other than their hands. The sound really did ruin it for me though as I'm sure there were loads of guitar harmonies going on, but I could make a single one of them out. Also I can't comment on the actual 'songs' too much as, again, I couldn't hear when a different chord was being played such was the muddiness.

Most comedy part of the night was when Doc (guitarist stage right - looked like he should have been in Judas Priest) took the piss out of MMW for having 'emo' fringes. Clearly not the most observational charcater as Ben is the only member of MMW who has even a fringe - never mind an 'emo' haircut... whereas Doc himself was sporting a lovely coiffed do that ironically is becoming very popular with the emo kids these days.

All in all, a great night although it was a shame that most bands had a pretty muddy sound. An incredible well done goes out to hog for dealing with the gig very well and doing his part for a good cause. I tip my metaphorical cap to you my good sir!

Good to see the amnesty proving yet again that some people just cannot help but get banned over and over and over...

Gutted I missed this gig' date=' seems like one helluva line-up, Hog is to be commended on his efforts.

Next time gadget...[/quote']

People were actually saying that I should do another one next year! Judging by last night, I think that is a strong possibility.

*off to Tescos to buy cellotape for the wireless system*