aberdeen-music

Not Another Beggars thread

Guest pop-notmyface

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I always do my best to give anyone asking for change something' date=' providing I've got it to spare and they're polite. I like the one's who say "Thanks anyway" when you say you don't have any to spare.[/quote']

Same here, I respect the polite ones. It's the ones who think they have a divine right to your cash that I can't stand.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pop-notmyface

oh, i occasionally give them my "change", mostly to the guy that sits next to the cahs machine on belmont street, but most of the time, no. especially if they're sitting there with a pack of cigarettes. if it's one thing i'm not doing then it's fuelling some kind of addiction that's more of a bother to me than anything else.

but the only thing that gets me is this:

most of the more unfortunate ones tend to be twice the age of the average student, a little pathetic, but okay. i can get over that.

but what are they doing all day - or rather, what do we see them doing all day?

yup, sitting around on the street.

i actually work hard for my money (i get paid hourly) and now i am expected to give money who appears to do fuck all???

i give my respect to those who try and sell The Big Issue.

but really, there must be something the others can do to eventually get out of poverty. it can only be in their best interest, right?

once walked down belmont street and the hobo asked for spare change, i said, sorry mate don't have any.

i then went and bought some chips n cheese and on walking back up past the hobo he reminded me of my colour of hair and my apparent affluence.

"h'min ginger, so u did have spare change ye prick"

I reminded him I was employed and he should be gratefull he'd be able to walk tomorrow and eating my chips and cheese was more important that giving him the kick in the face he so deserved

"i earned this chips and cheese, the only thing you're going to earn sitting there is a kick in the face you fukin mink - mmm these are goood chips."

|This post is liable to offend some people, i do take on most beggars with a "sorry no," but he's not getting away with hackling me.

Regarding the news link' date=' that should be taken with a large pinch of salt. The local rag had one a while ago, saying beggars make 18,000 a year.

Aye, that'll be chocolate.[/quote']

Jake, it is true - some beggars make more from begging than the average punter makes from slogging it on on a 9 - 5.

Believe this or not, but I worked closely with the now defunct Aberdeen City Centre Partnership who investigated the situation with Aberdeen's homeless and some of the stats and practical investigations carried out would amaze you.

It is 100% true that if you want to help Aberdeen's homeless and feel bad that some folk will have a shite Christmas, make a donation (cash or any food, clothing etc.) to the Salvos or any of the homeless charities in Aberdeen who will glady accept all donations no matter how small.

That way you know your donation will be going to someone who really needs help and not some dude who gets a taxi to their "pitch" and spends their "earnings" on booze, fags and, worst of all, smack.

I hate being harrassed by beggars.

Guest bluesxman

I used to always make a point of giving something to beggars at this time of year, now I don't after hearing about the fake ones making a mint.

My favourite suspect 2 ever were :- the one up the side of Marks and Spencers - as I made my way to the old FOPP but didn't have any change I decided he looked in need so thought I'd give him some change when I left FOPP. Found him texting away on a mobile phone, sorry, if you can afford a mobile i'll keep me cash.

Other one may have been the afore-mentioned guy beside the cash machines on Belmont Street, draped his jacket over his legs but forgot to hide the Timberland logo, hmmmm....

Guest pop-notmyface
Other one may have been the afore-mentioned guy beside the cash machines on Belmont Street' date=' draped his jacket over his legs but forgot to hide the Timberland logo, hmmmm....[/quote']

i'm sure there is a reasonable explanation...

This didn't happen to me in Aberdeen, but one time I was out shopping for anew xbox game, some stereotypical junkie looking guy comes up and tries the 'spare change for my bus fare' line, so I tell him 'sorry, I've only got the notes for a game, no change' he replies with 'well once you buy the game, you'll have change then that you could give me'

I was a bit like o_O when I heard that, so I say 'but there's only gonna be 1p change, that won't be much good for you"

he comes back with "well there's a Virgin and an HMV across the road, maybe you could get it cheaper there" I managed to keep a straight face and just said I couldn't be bothered and he went off to annoy someone else.

There was this guy in Edinburgh who had both legs off, one below and one above the knee, sitting on Princes Street with his dog who I felt pretty bad for and gave a fiver.

Generally though I can't be bothered with beggars, especially the rude ones like the wifey who sometimes sits at the side of safeways/morrissons, I had a spare 20p and gave her it, not even a thanks and she told one of my friends to fuck off when he said he had n change another time.

steevie is a legend, he is the belmont chippy hobo, i bought him a kebab once and he was verythankfull...

the guy up at the cash machines is a legend too, he is always very polite, and never asks for money...he was in the papers a whiley ago coz he found a scamming device on one of "his" atm's

Doesn't surprise me. Personally I support the "Ban the Beggars" campaign, because 99% of the beggars in Aberdeen work in "shifts" and aren't even homeless. That woman who's always outside Safeway can be seen taking the bus and chatting on her mobile phone on upperkirkgate on her way to "work".

They're taking your hardearned cash and using it to buy a bit of brown and then sitting on their ass on the street all day repeating the cycle.

Guest pop-notmyface
They're taking your hardearned cash and using it to buy a bit of brown and then sitting on their ass on the street all day repeating the cycle.

that's kind of my opinion as well.

The guy who sits outside the two cash machines beside the Academy shopping centre/Belmont Street is the friendliest beggar I've ever met. He doesn't actually ask you for money' date=' he just informs you if the machines are broken and/or enquires how your night is going!

I don't really mind giving the odd 50p to a friendly beggar. It's the ones who heckle you for money that I can't stand.

Oh, and if there are any beggars reading this thread - swearing at me when I say no, won't make me change my mind![/quote']

Spoke to him on sunday night. Gave him about 50p and said I might be back later If I had change, I didnt go back though :down: He was nice, he said I dressed stylishly and looked ace... hehe

The guy who sits outside the two cash machines beside the Academy shopping centre/Belmont Street is the friendliest beggar I've ever met. He doesn't actually ask you for money' date=' he just informs you if the machines are broken and/or enquires how your night is going!

I don't really mind giving the odd 50p to a friendly beggar. It's the ones who heckle you for money that I can't stand.

Oh, and if there are any beggars reading this thread - swearing at me when I say no, won't make me change my mind![/quote']

yeah that guy is nice. always lets me know whenthe machine isn't working (which seems to be all the time) think I had a conversation with him when I was drunk once...

Reminds me of the time when I was going home from aberdeen and I just came out of a salon with my friend and this man came up to me and her and said "you got a fag? I know that girl, she gets on the stonehaven bus so you might aswell give me one" HOW THE HELL did he know..never in my life had I ever seen him and I def do not know him!

gah..

Reminds me of the time when I was going home from aberdeen and I just came out of a salon with my friend and this man came up to me and her and said "you got a fag? I know that girl' date=' she gets on the stonehaven bus so you might aswell give me one" HOW THE HELL did he know..never in my life had I ever seen him and I def do not know him!

gah..[/quote']

Yeah, yeah, we believe you - if you're gonna hang out with the hobos then they're going to come back to haunt you eventually you know! :D