aberdeen-music

Certain Death, Atomgevitter etc @ Moorings Bar

kirkt

Ah bugger lol. Thanks for the gig Kirky baby. We were maybe not right to start a punk evening, roll on the 4th of jan. However, lots of people said to me that we played really well, just in the wrong setting, I agree. We played a really busy gig last week but it was the opposite this week. No criticism on Kirk, just best to play with metal bands next time.

Really enjoyed the BOB, good shit:up: I'll be back

Ah bugger lol. Thanks for the gig Kirky baby. We were maybe not right to start a punk evening' date=' roll on the 4th of jan. However, lots of people said to me that we played really well, just in the wrong setting, I agree. We played a really busy gig last week but it was the opposite this week. No criticism on Kirk, just best to play with metal bands next time.

Really enjoyed the BOB, good shit:up: I'll be back[/quote']

IMUselessO, E106 are at the fairly extreme and of the metal scale, and these other bands were at the extreme end of the punk scale. To my lightweight ears both genre's sort of weld together at that point.

I think you played very well, and that the only problem was that you are too good an act to put on first.

For 2006 I'm going to insist on mixed line-ups, because from experience these work the best. Last night a mixed line-up because, to the untrained listener, all the music was very heavy. I recall you playing 3rd in a mixed line-up at at The Moorings about a year ago (perhaps longer) and that went very well.

For the record Element 106 and Certain Death are the 2 heaviest bands that I can listen to and enjoy. And both get better every time I see them. I reckon that both have broad cross-over appeal and would benefit from being placed on a varied line-up.

I didn't like really heavy music at all until I first saw Element 106 (what was it?) 2 years ago... That's just my 2p worth. Working in The Moorings has really helped to broaden my musical horizons.

IMUselessO' date=' E106 are at the fairly extreme and of the metal scale, and these other bands were at the extreme end of the punk scale. To my lightweight ears both genre's sort of weld together at that point.

I think you played very well, and that the only problem was that you are too good an act to put on first.

For 2006 I'm going to insist on mixed line-ups, because from experience these work the best. Last night a mixed line-up because, to the untrained listener, all the music was very heavy. I recall you playing 3rd in a mixed line-up at at The Moorings about a year ago (perhaps longer) and that went very well.

For the record Element 106 and Certain Death are the 2 heaviest bands that I can listen to and enjoy. And both get better every time I see them. I reckon that both have broad cross-over appeal and would benefit from being placed on a varied line-up.

I didn't like really heavy music at all until I first saw Element 106 (what was it?) 2 years ago... That's just my 2p worth. Working in The Moorings has really helped to broaden my musical horizons.[/quote']

I find this to be a bit annoying (Not having a go at you, just my oppinion here :kiss: ) as it means that if a band like Atomgevitter or certain Death come back to the moorings they will be on a bill with bands that are not hardcore punk bands, I dont have anything against bands like this but when I go to see a hardcore band its nice to see some hardcore support bands, if they aint there I'm likely to turn up later and leave after the band I want to see has finished. I also think it is less likely to draw as many fans of that particular band so therefor the crowd as a whole wont be into them as much, thus the atmosphere could be lacking. It will also mean I will drink less (What with me being there for less time) and I have fun when I'm a bit tipsy.

Obviously all just what I fear may happen, it might be great.

I love the moorings and think it is the best venue for this type of gig. The atmosphere was ace, the bands were good (Even E106 :up: who I did watch for a bit but as I had just arrived I wanted to get a drink/say hello to friends so I didn't stand at the front for very long) and appart from the minor scuffle the crowd was immense, even when the fight broke out the ammount of people that got between the guys showed to me the ammount of respect everyone has for other people in there. If a fight broke out in many oof the begger clubs/bars I immaging many people would turn a blind eye.

The reason for mixed line-ups is that The Moorings has a lot of loyal regular customers that turn up day in and day out. Pretty much all of them like music (err that's one of the reasons they are Moorings regulars). These people have requested mixed line-ups because they find an evening or all skate punk, all metal, all punk, all grindcore, all jazz etc a little tiring on the ears. And to back this up all of our best attended gigs have involved mixed line-ups.

There are a couple of benefits to keeping hold of these regulars. For starters they pretty much keep the bar afloat, and thus deserve a say in the entertainment. Secondly it means that even the most poorly attended gig will have a decent sized audience. Some of the gigs we've had that played to less than 50 people would be playing to close to zero people if there weren't a bunch of regulars in.

So I hope everyone understands where we're coming from.

See that fight... my hand is still tender from where that asshole forced his throat into it. Poor little me.

• 2 weeks later...