aberdeen-music

I take it...

Guest tv tanned

Of course, i don't speak for drakes, but i've spoken to Jim a few times in depth about the venue and how much the 'local scene' has changed since it shut down. I think we reached the conclusion that those who were lucky enough to be able to use the venue as the starting point for a band or entrance into the local music culture should remember it, however, everyone should be looking forward instead of longing for the old - or even a new (if it's possible) - drakes, you don't mourn the loss of anything else for years...

Since the closure of the venue i think the Arcade team have done an ace job at getting bands to the city that would have never been here, perhaps they should be nominated for 'best promoter' if there is such a thing.

It sounded a lot better in my head that typed out.

Guest tv tanned

I see the point you are making.

I too miss Drakes, not just because they were always happy to let me DJ, but also because it was somewhere that, regardless of the day of the week, you were guaranteed to find a band playing if you turned up of an evening.

I don't really frequent other venues much, not because I don't want to catch local bands playing, but because the majority of them seem to rely on touring bands for whom they can charge a hefty price on the door, with one or two local bands supporting.

I realise this is not always the case, and there are many gigs which are purely local bands (Fudge nights & Moorings gigs etc.) but it still doesn't quite feel the same.

• 2 weeks later...