aberdeen-music

Rangers misery

Guest neil ex

C'mon guys, Im a don thru and thru and naturally hate the Gers domestically.

But in Europe we should be rallying around them and hoping they can go as far as they can go..for the benefit of all Scottish teams.

I do however, find it hilarious how the Old firm were whining a couple of seasons ago that the level of football in Scotland was forcing them down south to the premiership, and now that the level is back up, they moan because they cant win...HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA you stupids hun bastards. C'mon Rangers!!

Guest neil ex

But in Europe we should be rallying around them and hoping they can go as far as they can go..for the benefit of all Scottish teams.

I support other Scottish teams in Europe but I can't find it in myself to support Rangers or Celtic.

The only thing that would make it a little less hard to take if Rangers were to win tonight, would be if they were to come up against Barcelona in the next round..

I want Rangers to win for the coefficients sake, if they win, we might get an extra UEFA Cup place or an automatic berth into the Champions League as a result. They'll also be the first Scottish team to quality for the knock out stages since it became the Champions League, sooo..

A draw might be good enough for them anyway - I can't see Porto losing away to Artmedia, but can't see them winning either.

I want Rangers to win for the coefficients sake' date=' if they win, we might get an extra UEFA Cup place or an automatic berth into the Champions League as a result. They'll also be the first Scottish team to quality for the knock out stages since it became the Champions League, sooo..

A draw might be good enough for them anyway - I can't see Porto losing away to Artmedia, but can't see them winning either.[/quote']

I thought Rangers actually had been to the knockout stages of the Champions League in the early nineties, no? Could be imagine. I share Dave's sentiments. I like Alex McLeish and he has my pity and would like to see him go out on a high, but as a Celtic fan i just can't support Rangers cos they'd be rubbing our noses in it forever if they did go through.

I thought Rangers actually had been to the knockout stages of the Champions League in the early nineties' date=' no? Could be imagine. I share Dave's sentiments. I like Alex McLeish and he has my pity and would like to see him go out on a high, but as a Celtic fan i just can't support Rangers cos they'd be rubbing our noses in it forever if they did go through.[/quote']

I might be wrong, but I think they made the first Champions League, which was the semi final stage in 1992/1993. I remeber they knocked out Leeds in the 2nd round, but strictly speaking, it was still the European Cup then. I suppose they didn't qualify from the Champions League anyway, so no Scottish team has actually done that.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UCL/history/Season=1992/round=51/Group=3.html

That champions league format was ace :( The whole idea of winner takes all in the group stage was brilliant, especially as it meant that every game meant something, unlike now where you can lose a match or two and still qualify easily.

I'm sure it was around then when Marseille got busted for bribing the ref in their final league game too.

Amusingly, I was just looking through old results and winners when I saw Crvena Zvezda...I was like "who?!" and checked up on Google, turns out it's the new name for Red Star Belgrade, who were immense in their day.

Edit : if Artmedia and Porto draw, Rangers qualify regardless. So a defeat might be good enough for them, which kinda makes a mockery out of the whole Champions League concept.

Bux voiced my opinions perfectly......naturally hate Rangers' date=' but want a Scottish team through (even if it's full of foreign mercenaries).

It's great seeing their league position, though (despite all the wealth they've amassed through bigotry).[/quote']

David Murray is a shrewd businessman. He did not amass his wealth through bigotry. I'd expect better from you.

Guest Neubeatz
David Murray is a shrewd businessman. He did not amass his wealth through bigotry. I'd expect better from you.

Heh, the glasgow press and (G)BBC Scotland do nicely enough off it though..........

The only thing that would make it a little less hard to take if Rangers were to win tonight' date=' would be if they were to come up against Barcelona in the next round..[/quote']

..and then Super Henke comes off the bench to break some hearts with a last minute winner! I can picture it now!

love from christy

I wasn't referring to David Murray's wealth, just how Rangers and Celtic have polarised the Glasgow public in an unpleasant way for so many decades, through the religious divide.

Admittedly there have been some steps in the right direction recently, but the unpleasant element attached to each side has given them added finances over the years. I just wish there was more support for Partick Thistle.

I wasn't referring to David Murray's wealth' date=' just how Rangers and Celtic have polarised the Glasgow public in an unpleasant way for so many decades, through the religious divide.

Admittedly there have been some steps in the right direction recently, but the unpleasant element attached to each side has given them added finances over the years. I just wish there was more support for Partick Thistle.[/quote']

I'm not gonna get into all this again, cos i've been through it a million times before on this site. But I'm just gonna say that it's the people of Glasgow not the clubs who have created this divide and it existed before the two clubs did. They just channel it through the old firm. I'm not saying that neither can take some blame for the problem though. I won't say a word more, lets keep the focus on Rangers failure on the pitch.

i hope buffel scores first and makes me 10 richer.

to be honest reckon they will qualify because inter are fielding a team that are missing several key players they've got bigger fish to fry with the milan derby at the weekend.

however back to the subject of rangers misery......yes im basking in it, it's marvellous.