aberdeen-music

Same Sex Marriages

Guest *alex*

I'm watching the news, and they just said that same sex marriages are now legal in the UK? I'm not sure if i've had my head in the clouds, but I didn't have a clue this was happening today.

Is it not those "civil partnerships" that were proposed ages ago, giving the same rights that marriage would - eg. next of kin consent to hospital procedures etc.

I seem to remember it provoking a huge uproar from heterosexual couples asking for the same rights to which they were told they already had a solution - get married.

D'oh.

But good, shows this country is at least moving into the 21st century when it comes to gay equality etc.

Yeah, the moral backbone of the country is collapsing.

In actual fact, I couldn't care less about this. I get annoyed that people get their backs up about this type of subject when really, there are far more important things to discuss that nobody really cares about. Everyone thinks it's great that it's legal for homosexuals to get married, but nobody seems to be fussed that our hospitals are spreading more disease than they're curing or that they're trying to change the law so that rich people in court for fraud get tried by judges they were at Oxford with and not by an open jury.

I don't disagree with the legislation, but it's not really an issue I think merits the press it gets.

I work in the Jobcentre and we have had application packs for "Same Sex Couple" for a few months now, so its a good day to be gay! You can 'marry' your man friend and legally claim your giro..

Oh and the forms have a nice rainbow effect on the front, like the Gay flag thing!

so can heterosexual couples apply for a civil partnership?

i still don't see why gay people shouldn't be allowed to get married in a church to be honest. it's all a bit silly.

They cannot. Gay people getting married in a church is all down to the specific religion of the church. I don't think there's any actual legal barrier to them doing it.

Well' date=' you can all look forward to Elton getting married to that grinning buffoon boyfriend of his this month.[/quote']

No I can't, because (a) it isn't a marriage, technically, and (b) my freaking invitation still hasn't arrived.

Still, it's a step forward, and hopefully before long there will be marriages and complete equality, I still find it hilarious that some groups still claim equality would make marriage less attractive to heterosexual couples. "I can't get married to you Jimmy, it's what the gays do!"

Guest tv tanned
No I can't' date=' because (a) it isn't a marriage, technically, and (b) my freaking invitation still hasn't arrived.

Still, it's a step forward, and hopefully before long there will be marriages and complete equality, I still find it hilarious that some groups still claim equality would make marriage less attractive to heterosexual couples. "I can't get married to you Jimmy, it's what the gays do!"[/quote']

Or that, shock horror, it would undermine the sanctity of marriage because gay relationships are apparently more unstable than hetero ones. Aye, ok, whatever.

What undermines the sanctity of marriage is bimbos like Britney Spears getting married for "a laugh" and then annulling it 55 hours later.

Or that' date=' shock horror, it would undermine the sanctity of marriage because gay relationships are apparently more unstable than hetero ones. Aye, ok, whatever.

What undermines the sanctity of marriage is bimbos like Britney Spears getting married for "a laugh" and then annulling it 55 hours later.[/quote']

Very good but you are talking about a different country, a different legal system and a whole other matter altogether.

so Christian marriage in the USA differs from Christian marriage here' date=' how exactly?[/quote']

The church doesn't govern annulments and divorces, that's my point. The law does, and we don't have the same law as the US. It is because of the US's, specifically some states', much more relaxed laws on marriage/annulments etc, that people like Britney Spears can get drunk, get marriaged and then if they so wish get an annulment with relative ease. That is not the case in this country, which where the Civil Partnership laws in question exist. The British government does not legislate for the USA. You should also be more specific then "christian marriage" if you wish to make a comparison, because different denominations have quite different rules.