aberdeen-music

Righthandleft at the Tunnels last night

soundman56

RHL are definitely in the frame for best live band in Aberdeen at the moment, lots and lots of energy from 4 very accomplished musicians. The only negative of the set was the sound levels, someone needs to tell the sound engineer that too loud is simply too loud and a band as good as this don't need it.

The only negative of the set was the sound levels' date=' someone needs to tell the sound engineer that too loud is simply too loud and a band as good as this don't need it.[/quote']

The Tunnels isn't very conducive to quiet. The stage sound seems to fly off the stage and bands have a problem hearing themselves, so they turn up, which leads to higher ambient levels which the PA has to cut through. Coupled with the fact that it's a big tunnel this leads to higher levels than most people would like. I'll take a guess that there wasn't much more than about 60 people there, most of whom stayed on the top level. Most of the FOH problems are sorted by a healthy dose of people on the dancefloor.

Unless these problems are addressed at soundcheck your nearly always stuck with them, and the Tunnels doesn't exactly overflow with s/c time.

Or it could've been the engineer flexing their muscles, it's hard to tell unless you work the board while the bands on.

The Tunnels isn't very conducive to quiet. .

Then they should organise soiundchecks better. Start at five rather than six, try to find a better (quieter) level. I watched Eric Euan the other week, ace band who I was really lookin forward to. I had to leave after four songs because I thought my ears were going to explode an my head bleed. Because of the loud-ness, not the music itself.

Love from Christy

Then they should organise soiundchecks better. Start at five rather than six' date=' try to find a better (quieter) level. I watched Eric Euan the other week, ace band who I was really lookin forward to. I had to leave after four songs because I thought my ears were going to explode an my head bleed. Because of the loud-ness, not the music itself.

Love from Christy[/quote']

How many bands could get there at 5 during the week?

Bands need to be used to, or have the ability to adapt to, playing at quieter levels before the engineer has much control in there. Yet again an example of good sound coming from source.

How many bands could get there at 5 during the week?

Bands need to be used to' date=' or have the ability to adapt to, playing at quieter levels before the engineer has much control in there. Yet again an example of good sound coming from source.[/quote']

I don't get your point. Does she crank everything to 11 because bands automatically sound shit at 8 or 9? I would sooner hear an average band playing averagely than a great band having their sound ruined by being abrasively loud. As was the case last week

love from christy

I don't get your point. Does she crank everything to 11 because bands automatically sound shit at 8 or 9? I would sooner hear an average band playing averagely than a great band having their sound ruined by being abrasively loud. As was the case last week

love from christy

No, what I'm saying is that often in the Tunnels there is no choice but to make it loud, because of the way the backline thunders off stage. Even playing at reasonable stage levels in there sometimes isn't enough and things have got to be brought up to balance it out a bit.

It's not an easy room, and I'm just pointing out that there are factors to consider other than the engineer in the equation.