aberdeen-music

warning 360 fans

R.Borlax

Well don't move it then

its a warning incase you do turn it while its on

the console is like the ps2 its able to lay flat or on its side so people will most likely think turning it is a safe option but microsoftcock rushed the production on the latest murder of video gaming

and hence a cd/dvd shredder has arrived

You can't blame them for fucking up. They had to get the 360 out before christmas (good design or bad design) in order to make as much profits now as possible before they get shot out the water by the PS3 when it is released.

No HDTV? No/very little graphical differences between the original XBox and the new piece of electrical rape.

the graphics are a huge improvement on the xbox even on a normal telly. you just have to look at the textures in project gotham to see that. anyway, no hdtv buy a vga cable for 20 quid and use a monitor for hd graphics.

incidentally i'm returning my copy of kameo today as i may have foolishly turned my machine while it was on and it made that noise and now kameo doesn't work. bugger.

other than that though it's a wonderful machine. just need to get my wireless network setup then i can go online.

also, they won't be shot out of the water by the ps3. it'll be much closer this time round and i think the online functions will be a big leveller. there's alot of talk about the ps3 being more powerful but that didn't do the xbox any favours first time round did it? sony fanboys love their double standards. like laughing at the shortages of 360's while ignoring sony's complete inability to get stock of the psp into uk stores despite having a staggered launch.

the graphics are a huge improvement on the xbox even on a normal telly.

They really aren't. Not compared to the huge improvement with the arrival of the PSX, Saturn and the N64 in Japan in 1995 over the 16-bit, sprite-driven consoles of the Snes and Genesis.

Notice how I mentioned the graphics because that is pretty much the only reason fanboys will be buying this hunk of shite. Original XBox titles will still be newly released for at least a year to come, making the whole 'new' experience pointless.

At least when sony did it there was a significant difference between the PS1 and PS2.

At least when sony did it there was a significant difference between the PS1 and PS2.

who cares??

It was the exact same games but with an extra number added on (see Metal Gear Solid 2, Tekkn 4, every other ps2 game 5)

Graphics maketh not thy game, and it's the games that count! Well, not when people are more interested in looking cool because they have a Sony product! The XBOX 360 has some original games on it already. Condemned for instance is just fucking stunning. It's got it's fair share of sequels on it already mind.

the revolution will open gaming upto all manner of people who don't have a ps2 or an xbox and may even outsell it.

the reason there's not that big a leap in the graphics is that there's not much more that can be done. trust me though the graphics are a massive improvement on the xbox ones and look amazing when running at hi-def. the biggest selling point though is the games and the xbox live service which is second to none. there's no point comparing the leap to that of previous next-gen launches as the gaming world and technology is a lot different now. i spent a good couple of hours playing my brother at perfect dark zero tonight and i kept stopping and going "wow, look at this wall" "listen to the sound it makes when you walk on the snow" and shit like that cause it was so good. then the next minute i was practically barging him off the seat as i got too immersed in trying to beat him with the butt of my gun as it ran out of ammo. and project gotham 3 is amazing, great frame rate with wonderful textures and lighting far ahead of what any consoles are doing and the high end pc's. if you think it's a hunk of shit after playing that then you need help.

as of today i'm playing my 360 in hi-def on a pc monitor and the difference between that and my old telly is stunning.

i spent a good couple of hours playing my brother at perfect dark zero tonight and i kept stopping and going "wow' date=' look at this wall" "listen to the sound it makes when you walk on the snow" and shit like that cause it was so good. then the next minute i was practically barging him off the seat as i got too immersed in trying to beat him with the butt of my gun as it ran out of ammo. and project gotham 3 is amazing, great frame rate with wonderful textures and lighting far ahead of what any consoles are doing and the high end pc's. if you think it's a hunk of shit after playing that then you need help.

.[/quote']

I am sometimes interested in sound in a game, however I couldn't care about it in newer consoles (bar Star Ocean 3's sound system). Walking past a waterfall in Tales of Phantasia and hearing it change speakers depending on which side of it you are on is about as interesting as such things get for me.

Infact the only thing which I care about graphically is a high frame rate for fighting games/ active time battle-based RPGs, as I know that this can affect the gameplay's pace and experience considerably.

i think sound is a much underused thing in games. the 360 so far seems to use it quite well with the exception of pgr3's terrible soundtrack.

hexic has a lovely soundtrack on the other hand.

I fully agree with sound effects, but not the actual soundtracks.Some of my favourite musicians are game composers and they put in phenominal efforts to write 90+ tracks for a 50+ hour game. Music is a huge part of the experience, although we may not recognise it when we are playing sometimes.

If you think sound is underused, you just aren't playing the right games:P

I fully agree with sound effects' date=' but not the actual soundtracks.Some of my favourite musicians are game composers and they put in phenominal efforts to write 90+ tracks for a 50+ hour game. Music is a huge part of the experience, although we may not recognise it when we are playing sometimes.

If you think sound is underused, you just aren't playing the right games:P[/quote']

hehe, or the soundtrack isn't very good despite the work put in. :p

i think sometimes although a lot of work goes into the soundtracks perhaps not a lot of thought or originality goes into it. though obviously there are exceptions. many a nintendo game for instance, in particular the mario and zelda games.

http://www.wimp.com/mariopiano/

an example of just how good the music to mario is(and the person playing it ain't too bad either).

sega always seem to do good soundtracks too. there's a great cd called output 64 which is commodore 64 music remixed by electronic artists. well worth checking out. those 8 bit soundtracks were genius compared to many of the lazy efforts of today.

Erm' date=' only a twat would turn something over when there is a disc spinning round inside it. Would you pick up your PC and lay it on it's side with discs in the drives?

:help:[/quote']

theres a few scenarios where you may turn or lift and tilt the consel

im sure dave said they have already done it

theres a few scenarios where you may turn or lift and tilt the consel

im sure dave said they have already done it

When?

I never have the need to put my controller down, crawl over to my Xbox and turn it on it's end. Even if it could be stood on it's end, I'd never turn it on it's end with a disc spinning round inside it.

Am I missing something with this?

:help:

EDIT: Ok, Dave did it, but like he said, foolishly.

I don't know about a 360' date=' but you should NOT play your ps2 whilst it is standing on it's side. It shortens the lifespan of the machine. I don't know why this is, but this came direct from a SONY REP![/quote']

Gah, I've done this. Now it takes fucking ages to load games and stops mid game.

Playstations not for girls.

the reason i did it was that i was testing my vga cable and i picked it up and tilted it a bit to remove the component cable and plug in the vga cable forgetting that the dvd was running. foolish, but you can see how that happened. anyway, it says in the manual not to do it. i didn't turn it fully either. there's no excuse for daftness really.

the reason i did it was that i was testing my vga cable and i picked it up and tilted it a bit to remove the component cable and plug in the vga cable forgetting that the dvd was running. foolish' date=' but you can see how that happened. anyway, it says in the manual not to do it. i didn't turn it fully either. there's no excuse for daftness really.[/quote']

Exactly. I'm pretty sure my mates PS2 manual says not to turn the console with a game in it. Common bloody sense if you ask me.

i think sometimes although a lot of work goes into the soundtracks perhaps not a lot of thought or originality goes into it. though obviously there are exceptions. many a nintendo game for instance' date=' in particular the mario and zelda games.[/quote']

Koji Kondo is a musical genius. His pieces are very easy to get into because they are so damn catchy! Super Metroid was perhaps one of the first games to make it's soundtrack sound like a movie rather than a game, and it was done superbly.

http://www.wimp.com/mariopiano/

an example of just how good the music to mario is(and the person playing it ain't too bad either).

I have seen it before, it's saved onto my computer. Its not my favourite piano video game medley, there is one that has songs from Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Super Metroid and Secret of Mana if i recall correctly done by a guy who calls himself 'the invisible pianist' i think (or is that the mario medley guy?)

sega always seem to do good soundtracks too. there's a great cd called output 64 which is commodore 64 music remixed by electronic artists. well worth checking out. those 8 bit soundtracks were genius compared to many of the lazy efforts of today.

I hate the Genesis sound chip with a passion, it sounds really disgusting and trebly. It was more annoying than anything, The master system's chip was better, even if it was just a watered down version of the NES chip. The best Genesis music were the mega cd games as they were mp3 tracks and didn't use the internal sound system.

As for the C64 remixes, I have heard that cd plus a lot of OverClocked remixes

A commodore music player can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5147/sidplay/about.html

it plays .sid files, which are about the same size as a MIDI and contain the full soundtrack of a game for each .sid file you download, plus you can save tracks as mp3s to play on your usual music player aswell.

And you can't beat such musical efforts. You only have to listen to the soundtrack for System 3's Flimbo's Quest (same company who made The Last Ninja) and the C64's version of Space Harrier to appreciate the time and effort put in to make something sound so good with being restricted to only four different instrument tracks playing at any one time.