aberdeen-music

Were all the re-registered accounts of banned users supposed to be deleted...

Edgar Graham

No-one is banned anymore.

When Lord Neil re-decorated this place, he declared an amnesty on the banned list. However their previous accounts were wiped, so they effectively have a fresh start.

Bear in mind that the moderating of this site is now intended to be a little more 'robust'. Pointless or offensive posts are now far more likely to be simply removed outright, and wayward users can now be 'suspended' i.e. banned temporarily to encourage better posting. The intention is to concentrate on the quality of contributions rather trying to figure out who's sneaking back under a pseudonym or whatever, which just wastes all our time.

censorship?!....

I like it....

as long as I am not censored...you c........

*cough cough*

Agreed, the moderating sounds extremely ambiguous and rather vague as to freedom of speech. I thought some of the moderating before was ridiculous. I understand that there are rules, but at one point every third post was being moved to another forum.

I think with a site like this "personalities" are created, many of which take on the persona of a rebellious nature, and end up being banned. I'd bet that a lot of people feel that the forums are missing something when some of these people are gone.

You just have to look at the threads in reaction to a certain member been banned. Or how some members post self-indulgent shite about how they're "sick of the system" and have "done all they can do" on Aberdeen-music and duly "sign off forever", blatantly trying to generate attention. Thing is, it works.

...During the upgrade?

Looks like I beat the system once again.

Nope, re-registered accounts were not deleted. Only the banned accounts were deleted. There were numerous formally banned members posting under other accounts before - you certainly weren't the only one. However, like during the last major upgrade of the web site, I've taken this opportunity to give everyone who was banned before a chance to contribute again.

Of course, if they subsequently step out of line again then they could be banned once again.

Moving this thread to a more appropriate forum...

Guest bluesxman
Agreed' date=' the moderating sounds extremely ambiguous and rather vague as to freedom of speech. I thought some of the moderating before was ridiculous. I understand that there are rules, but at one point every third post was being moved to another forum.

I think with a site like this "personalities" are created, many of which take on the persona of a rebellious nature, and end up being banned. I'd bet that a lot of people feel that the forums are missing something when some of these people are gone.

You just have to look at the threads in reaction to a certain member been banned. Or how some members post self-indulgent shite about how they're "sick of the system" and have "done all they can do" on Aberdeen-music and duly "sign off forever", blatantly trying to generate attention. Thing is, it works.[/quote']

And of course there is always the issue that some people get banned or warned about being offensive, when other's do the same thing and apparently get away with it without question. Hasn't happened to me but i've seen it very recently. Seems to be one rule for the plebs and another if you are linked to music venues....

Guest tv tanned
Ah wonderful' date=' a conspiracy theory.

I love conspiracy theories. This could be the AM.com version of the grassy knoll or the moon landings.[/quote']

It's old hat.

People see injustice when their view is tinted by personal prejudice, happens all the time.

Guest bluesxman
It's old hat.

People see injustice when their view is tinted by personal prejudice' date=' happens all the time.[/quote']

It has nothing to do with being 'tinted by personal prejudice'. Whatever that is supposed to imply.

Similar occurences of name calling were carried out by two different people on here recently, one got banned, the other never. Simple as. Maybe there was more to the banning event than meets the eye but to the casual observer, i.e. me, it looked like one rule for some, etc...

Guest tv tanned
It has nothing to do with being 'tinted by personal prejudice'. Whatever that is supposed to imply.

Similar occurences of name calling were carried out by two different people on here recently' date=' one got banned, the other never. Simple as. Maybe there was more to the banning event than meets the eye but to the casual observer, i.e. me, it looked like one rule for some, etc...[/quote']

I wasn't talking about you specifically, don't be so precious

I have no idea what incident you're referring to but we do try and keep banning someone as a last resort. So it's probably that the remark made by the first person was just enough to push them over the edge. We do actually keep a close eye on people who reguarly court controversy on the boards and we will warn people to be more sensible in most first instances (if someone's getting into repeated arguments with the same user for example). But it is possible to be instantly banned if you piss Neil off enough or spam the forums.

And for the record there is nothing set down to the staff saying that sponsor's and venue owners are exempt from the rules. If there was I'd resign.