aberdeen-music

Calling all Motorhead and Metallica fans

misterdale

Why are you being a dick? He is only expressing his opinion....

and finding it difficult to do without sounding like a negative ninny all the time...I don't want to sound like a tosser I just want you to realise what some people think. Mouses post looks much more positive and I wish I could write one like that but I can't...too often people say to bands "that was a great gig" I've had it happen to me...then 1 year later I look back and think "the lying bastards we were crap personified!"

I was going for the honest approach' date=' it's not going to be the most popular that is for sure...perhaps some photoshop humour to lighten the mood...

[img']http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mctavish/black.jpg

JESUS - I WAS ONLY TRYING TO LIGHTEN THE MOOD MYSELF!

I cannot be bothered responding any more - you've made your point. You think we're shit - fair enough - don't come see us again!

We were out of practice I admit - and this has been our first gig in a few months due to personal circumstances - and I'm sorry we ruined your evening. We will definitely file this under experience, and make sure everything is tip-top when we head back your way.

Criticism is always good - it keeps us on our toes, but I thought that you were going to quite extreme lengths to prove your utter dislike of us.

I cannot say any more - and I don't want to, because I am fed up of it.

Anyway, our lead guitarist has asked me post his response - and our drummer says thanks to mouse for his comments - much appreciated!

Tav's note "We were right at the front...at the barrier. Its not that the solos "weren't quite right" it was the fact that they went like this "3 notes....pause...pause...2 notes...ermmm how does it go?.....oh I'll just waggle the whammy bar....phew!"

I have to assume this note was referring to the Blackened solo which admittedly I did fuck up, I basically lost my place leading up to the solo and couldnt really hear where we were in the song but regards to the whammy bar I only use it twice in the whole set and the ironic thing is that the whammy bar part of blackened was one of the few things I did right in the solo.

So by all means slag me off for that solo.

Regards to the latter two songs which I think were Battery and Whiplash my first two fingers on my left hand just ceased to move. I just couldnt move them at all which I have never experienced before.

Some songs I do improvise like Seek & Destroy and Whiplash but as for the others they are pretty much how they are on the album but no doubt there were some mistakes but to say that no solos were any where near close is just horse shit.

I suppose practice makes perfect so when youre in a tribute band there are no excuses (apart from my fingers ceasing); I mean if Colin McRae had the shits you would hardly expect him to win the race. J

No publicity is bad publicity! I'd certainly go and see you guys soley on the back of this thread. Aberdeen has a reputation as a town full of meanies' date=' and an Aberdonian could feed a family of 4 for a month on 9!!!!

Get your asses up to Inverness, and I'm sure you'd have a great night! We don't get any gigs up here:down:[/quote']

Yeah play Inverness and drop in by Elgin on the way.

If your crap i'll tell you to your face rather than online :up:

I remember telling the Girls from Kittie that i enjoyed there set supporting Slipknot but their cover of Pink Floyds Run Like Hell sucked big time, they weren't happy, shame they didn't listen cos the recorded it for their second album and now everyone can hear how bad it is :down:

Playing covers cant be easy especially song that people hold dearly. If your gonna cover something play it well or dont play it at all is what i say - which is a stupid thing to say really as you dont start out to play something sloppy ?(

wouldn't it be nice if we could all get along and respect one another for actually having the guts to perform? I swear, dispite how shit or good I was at a musical talent, I cannot see myself going on stage to perform so respect what they did and actually came up to entertain you people. Okay, some people do welcome feedback, but if it's going to be offensive, then that is quite rude. No one needs that. Yes, you may say "oh but if they said that to me, I wouldn't care" of course you would. Everyone would.

I never saw the show, but I respect they travelled all the way up just to do what they wanted to do and to give a show. I mean if they did a few mistakes, that's expected from every band at some point. No one's perfect. Nightwish do a lot of mistakes and tarja forgets a lot of words and even makes up words and they were a big band!

Do you understand what I'm saying here?

Just give a bit more respect because they deserve it and if people appreciated their work, then it shows they were great! There are some aberdeen bands I don't particuarly like, but other people do.. even if they're trying to sound like a band I like. I still respect that they have fans and they do what they wanted. Not all cover bands are going to sound exact like the band.. god if they did, that would be quite something that they could sound exact. Also, it's good to put a bit of your own spirit into the set and be yourself aswell.

It's all just good fun..but to offend and be rude.. seriously not needed.

Well done to the 2 bands and goodluck for the future x

Sorry to be the one to burst that bubble but nobody is ammune from criticism, and that's all it was. Criticism is something you open yourselves up to the moment you charge people to watch you play, you are not immune from it just because you may have travelled a long distance or whatever.

Random slagging of a band is uncalled for, but that never happened in this case. All criticism that was initially given was constructive and it wasn't until the band felt the need to completely jump overboard that things got a little out of hand.

What's the point of, just for the hell of it, saying something was good when it wasn't? There's nothing worse than being told that a gig that you've played was great when you know yourself that it was pants, lying just seems patronising.

well obviously it was good if people said it was. Okay some will disagree' date=' but that's bound to happen and we all have our own tastes too.

Criticism is only fair to an extent, it was getting WAAAAY out of hand and it was more bullying..slagging off than just saying normal feedback.[/quote']

Thats the point I think Mac was making...just because people say it is good doesn't mean it is. My critism has nothing to do with personal taste. I was intially <before it got a little out of hand> raising points about playing ability....personal taste doesn't come into it.

Guest Mr Blastcap

i spilled my coffe reading this pedantic pissing contest.

i love this board! its so funny, its sooooo-Aberdeeny!

what are you complaining about, the mighty Metallica would sound shit in the Lemon tree anyway, all band s do regardless of bigness ( exept when they bring their own sound jockey) and as for the drums! sweet jesus, Lars is shit without overdubs and pro tools tweaking! my lord! aberdeen is such a funny place. this thread rocks!

Guest Mr Blastcap
Have to disagree after seeing them live...

i bow to your experience on this Tav, i have not seen the mighty Metallica live. but he's just maybe not what i would term a jaw dropping drummer, but then we would all disagree about that as well. for me its less is more, all those tricky fills may sure be hard to play but to me they sound a bit shit, same with wanky guitar solo's, exept when dinosaur jr do it. fuck , what do i know i even think St Anger is a good album! I'll probably give tribute bands a miss as well allthough i fair enjoyed sex pistols/ 16 again a while back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

were new to this forum, and weve had a great laugth on this topic, i was also at the blackend gig and i too thoought it sucked, the singer sounded about as good as james does today (and that aint a good thing), the sound quality was poor and not loud enougth (i was at the bar ordering drinks the whole night and i could talk to the bartender without having to raise my voice at all) the bass player resorted to playing the top string open for the most part, if i didnt know any better i would have thought it was their first show, infact was it?, let me know, if so practise then come back.:swearing:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Im Mark from Maiden tribute Maiden Scotland, ive been reading this thread with abit of interest!!!

Firstly I would like to make it clear that the bands do not have anything to do with the entrance fee..........!!!!!

Tribute bands range in quality from crap to amazing, the crap ones dont tend to be around for long thankfully, I for one spend a long time practising and treat each gig as if its my last!!! It can be a bit difficult when critisicm is recieved but youve got to be prepared to take it!!

I would like to say to the guys in Blackened that the punters pay there money to see bands and they are entitled to there opinion whether it is good or bad, i dont think it does you any good to come across as so defensive, take it on the chin and move on!!

Oh and the sound and facilities in the Lemon Tree are some of the best around and its an absolute pleasure to play there, so I dont really see how you can blame that because you will come across a LOT WORSE!!

• 3 weeks later...