aberdeen-music

'Hard Rain' album sleeve

Shonuff

Ok,

Whilst out at the weekend one of the locals at my local came over to me with the album sleeve of Bob Dylans 'Hard Rain'. His question was this :

What kind of guitar is he playing in the picture on the inside of the sleeve?

First of all I though it was a Gibson ES335, but I think its to thin. Is it a Danelectro?

Anyone?

I'm going to have a guess and say it's one of these(or a variant), there appears to be a similar strange cut away in the bottom part of the body in the dylan pic. I've read that Dylan liked these National map body electrc guitars so it's possible.

62nat98.jpg

EDIT: I just found this:

"BY THE TIME OF ROLLING THUNDER we are firmly back in Fender territory. In the main, the April / May 1976 leg featured a sunburst maple-necked Telecaster, but again there was one notable aberration: the use of a white National Glenwood for slide-guitar playing. This is the so-called "map guitar", made of plastic ("Resoglas") and shaped like a map of the U.S.A. "

I'm going to have a guess and say it's one of these(or a variant)' date=' there appears to be a similar strange cut away in the bottom part of the body in the dylan pic. I've read that Dylan liked these National map body electrc guitars so it's possible.

[img']http://www.provide.net/~cfh/62nat98.jpg

EDIT: I just found this:

"BY THE TIME OF ROLLING THUNDER we are firmly back in Fender territory. In the main, the April / May 1976 leg featured a sunburst maple-necked Telecaster, but again there was one notable aberration: the use of a white National Glenwood for slide-guitar playing. This is the so-called "map guitar", made of plastic ("Resoglas") and shaped like a map of the U.S.A. "

Good work squire! I never noticed that cutaway till today myself. Looks pretty close by the looks of the headstock too. Away to tell the guy in the local tonite, he'll be well impressed.

Cheers