aberdeen-music

FAO: Those who skate. (or those who do any kind of "X-treme" sport)

Jenni.

Sooo.... do you wear a helmet? If you do why did you pick the helmet you did? If you don't, why not? Why do you think there is so much apathy towards head protection when there are millions of serious head injuries every year? Are there any gaps in the market? Is there anything in helmet design that could be improved upon, to make them safer, or get more people wearing them?

Yeah, general chat and helmet related comments would be swell. I'm struggling with this one.

Guest five years
Sooo.... do you wear a helmet? If you do why did you pick the helmet you did? If you don't' date=' why not? Why do you think there is so much apathy towards head protection when there are millions of serious head injuries every year? Are there any gaps in the market? Is there anything in helmet design that could be improved upon, to make them safer, or get more people wearing them?

Yeah, general chat and helmet related comments would be swell. I'm struggling with this one.[/quote']

make them totally light-weight and even better invisible. i know when i was snowboarding and forced to wear one after i cracked my head off the ground that they're unsightly, cumbersome and make you feel like a dork.

Guest tv tanned
make them totally light-weight and even better invisible. i know when i was snowboarding and forced to wear one after i cracked my head off the ground that they're unsightly' date=' cumbersome and make you feel like a dork.[/quote']

yes, I always found that a fractured skull was the best way to appear really cool.

Guest five years
yes' date=' I always found that a fractured skull was the best way to appear really cool.[/quote']

she's asking what i'd change about a helmet you cock end, my response was in reference to this:

Is there anything in helmet design that could be improved upon' date=' to make them safer, or get more people wearing them?[/quote']

i'd love to be able to snowboard in total safety without the risk of ever hurting myself, yet, as i stated, helmets are generally cumbersome. when snowboarding for example, the direction you're looking affects the direction you go. thus, making an extra effort to move your head can result in increased change of direction, which might result in an accident.

fuck off till you've actually got anything worth saying mr boring.

Guest tv tanned
she's asking what i'd change about a helmet you cock end

i'd love to be able to snowboard in total safety without the risk of ever hurting myself' date=' yet, as i stated, helmets are generally cumbersome. when snowboarding for example, the direction you're looking affects the direction you go. thus, making an extra effort to move your head can result in increased change of direction, which might result in an accident.

fuck off till you've actually got anything worth saying mr boring.[/quote']

So, in the sense that professional boarders manage, is there a difference in helmet design for the ones they use, thus making it more costly? And if so, is there perhaps a need for similar designs to be made cheaply available?

That relevant enough Mr Angry?

Guest five years
So' date=' in the sense that professional boarders manage, is there a difference in helmet design for the ones they use, thus making it more costly? And if so, is there perhaps a need for similar designs to be made cheaply available?

[/quote']

for sure.

although they are as you say professionals knowing every action and reaction needed to negotiate every run, i am however, distinctly amateur, so not being good at it means i'll need a lighter more protective helmet, as i will have less time to react etc.

Guest tv tanned

surely the emphasis should be on the protective, though, as given that you admit to amateur status, it is more important to stop you braining yourself when you fall on your head, than it is for you to be able to instigate professional-style moves?

the only time i wear one is when at skateparks, because it's usually compulsory for one. i don't mind wearing one, because the chance of hurting yourself is greater than usual because of the equipment. also, cos everyone else is wearing one, you don't feel like so much of a prong. however, they rarely fit well (the hired ones, anyway), and make you overheat and sweat more than usual, because a lot of heat is trapped.

i think part of the reason people don't like wearing helmets is because it doesn't feel natural - of course people realise the safety benefits. however, a skateboarder wearing a helmet feels like a gymnast wearing a trench coat, or a table tennis player wearing motorbike gloves - it just doesn't feel right.

Guest tv tanned
i think part of the reason people don't like wearing helmets is because it doesn't feel natural - of course people realise the safety benefits. however' date=' a skateboarder wearing a helmet feels like a gymnast wearing a trench coat, or a table tennis player wearing motorbike gloves - it just doesn't feel right.[/quote']

isn't that slightly disanalgous though, given that there is clearly no benefit whatsoever to be derived from either example?

a better example would be if gymnasts said that landing on soft mats after the apparatus was not natural. Landing on a hard surface would result in injuries, so naturally the response would be "sorry, safety is paramount".

Guest five years
surely the emphasis should be on the protective' date=' though, as given that you admit to amateur status, it is more important to stop you braining yourself when you fall on your head, than it is for you to be able to instigate professional-style moves?[/quote']

what i'm saying is, the current designs of helmet are restrictive in the movement they allow, thus almost ADDING to the difficulty of performing the sport.

Guest tv tanned
what i'm saying is' date=' the current designs of helmet are restrictive in the movement they allow, thus almost ADDING to the difficulty of performing the sport.[/quote']

ok, no worries, I tend to agree that protective gear should be unrestrictive to as high a degree as possible, as long as it doesn't compromise safety.

I'm currenty taking snowboard lesosns, I need to where a helmet. When I first snowboarded I didn't wear one and it really does hurt catching an edge and smacking your head. The helmet I wear is an Aberdeen city Council one, though it does the job, I can't imagine it is very fancy. however, I don't find it restricts me from doing anything.

I think they look quite cool, especially if someone is wearing a cap or another hat underneth them.

Being a beginner also, i don't knwo too much about the actual helmet (except you usually are just paying for the label) so perhaps thats whats missing? Information.

I think it should be compulsary to wear a helmet on slopes, I know it would be really hard to make sure everyone wore one and thats proabbly why its hasn't happened yet. But if it did happen, it wouldn't be seen as being "dorky", alot more would be known about them and the different types and it cause alot less serious injurys.

isn't that slightly disanalgous though' date=' given that there is clearly no benefit whatsoever to be derived from either example?

a better example would be if gymnasts said that landing on soft mats after the apparatus was not natural. Landing on a hard surface would result in injuries, so naturally the response would be "sorry, safety is paramount".[/quote']

i was referring directly to the aesthetics and practicality of using helmets whilst skateboarding, not whether or not they performed a useful safety function - like i said - of course skateboarders realise the safety advantages of wearing a helmet.

gymnasts have to land on the ground, so it would be stupid not to have a mat. skateboarders don't have to fall on their head - and most of the time don't - it's just that sometimes, they do.

just so you understand me clearly, let me re-iterate - it is understood that wearing helmets reduces accidents - my point is that it doesn't feel natural. perhaps a better analogy would be with the many cyclists don't wear helmets - even though it clearly reduces serious head injuries when accidents do occur, it is not compulsory for a cyclist to wear one.

the reality is that most skateboarders will wear a helmet where they deem it appropriate, in association with their perceived skill level. for example, most skaters skating on a vert ramp wear helmets, or most skaters skating a concrete or deep bowl will wear a helmet. except at livi fun day.

I dont wear helemts as much as i should in any sport i do. In snowboarding i only really feel the need for one if its really icy conditions or doing jumps halfpipes etc (i may buy one this season).

The biggest problem is concrete outdoor skateparks where no rules apply, noone wears helmets (including me) even though most people there are putting themseves at serious risk. The issues here are that helmets are uncomfertable and it also needs a few strong minded people to break the trend.

Mountainbiking on the otherhand is different, at a downhill race meeting you would see many people with expensive full face helmets. Helmets are not only necessary for this sport but also become a status symbol depending on brand etc.

...the actual helmet (except you usually are just paying for the label)...

*cough* BULLSHIT *cough*

Maybe with some clothing this is the case, but certainly not for safety equipment.

*cough* BULLSHIT *cough*

Maybe with some clothing this is the case' date=' but certainly not for safety equipment.[/quote']

It is true to a degree, some helmets will cost more than others purely for the name (and fancy paintwork). Though cost is often a good guide to the quality of a helmet.

eg Troy Lee Designs mountain bike helmets, good but overpriced.

the reality is that most skateboarders will wear a helmet where they deem it appropriate' date=' in association with their perceived skill level. for example, most skaters skating on a vert ramp wear helmets, or most skaters skating a concrete or deep bowl will wear a helmet. except at livi fun day.[/quote']

Hear Hear!! I don't wear a helmet if I'm just heading down town on my bike or just nipping round the corner, but if I'm heading to the jumps or away for a proper ride then I do.

As for imroving the design of helmets, they're improving all the time getting lighter and more efficient at protecting you.

At the end of the day extreme sports aren't the safest and most people who take part in them know the risks involved. Education on what can happen without safety equipment is probably the best way to go - then Alex might consider sacrificing a little free movement for a higher safety level...? :p

It is true to a degree' date=' some helmets will cost more than others purely for the name (and fancy paintwork). Though cost is often a good guide to the quality of a helmet.

eg Troy Lee Designs mountain bike helmets, good but overpriced.[/quote']

Yeah that's kinda obvious - the SAME helmet will cost 120 in standard decals but 300 with Troy Lee's scribblings on it. Yes, that's the paintjob you're paying for, but in the case of an

Aberdeen City Council potty lid compared to a Giro Mad Max 2 for example...the extra 100 isn't just for the name.

I am a dowhill mountain biker and wear a Fox Tracer motorcross helmet (Because it offers good protection at a cheap price and fits me correctly) when ever I am on my bike, but I am also a snowboarder and never wear a helmet, within the biking comunity people who ride with out helmets are seriously frowned upon which is not the case in snowboarding. It used to be that you would be mocked for wearing a helmet, now it is acceptable either way and can see it going the same way as biking.

I will be buying a helmet for snowboarding this year and I will not be going for the one that looks the best but the one that fits the best

Well one boy in my class is specifically designing a unicycle helmet. Good call by him I feel. Mine's going to be rubbish. I toyed with the idea of integrated video camera or something but it's just a bit of a novelty and not exactly hugely original. Think I might just go for trying to make it really comfortable. I have to make a freakin' model tomorrow, I'll need to research into different materials. With skateboarding am I right to assume most knocks are to the side of the head?

What are the usual kind of situations that result in bangs to the head?

Are the helmets all just padded with foam, or are there any kind of expensive ones with funky silicon gel or something going on?

Also the clasp, an adjustable clip? Any ideas how that could be made more comfy?

I'm going to go with the idea of those adidas shoes that just feel like you're wearing socks, comfy comfy.

I might quote some of you shmucks.

Well one boy in my class is specifically designing a unicycle helmet. .

any chance of you passing my email adress onto this guy' date=' i dont know any other unicyclists in this area, cheers,

oh its [email']reject_monkey@hotmail.com

the under chin strap should be made of something other than the sort of plastic webbing stuff which digs in. something soft would be nice.

But then it wouldn't hold your helmet on in a crash! Mine's got the usual plastic stuff but it's covered with softer material.

I've got no complaints about mine except that it can get a little hot...