aberdeen-music

Bloos

Dino

Go out and buy some old John Lee Hooker stuff. I don't really know a vast amount about Blues' date=' but you can't fail with John.[/quote']

Yeah, the very early stuff when he is playing without a band with coke bottle tops on his shoes for percussion.

Also check out

Howlin' Wolf

Albert King

BB King

Sonny Boy Williamson

That will get you a start

and more recently, you really need to be owning some Stevie Ray Vaughan. His control and touch are unparalleled. Also modern wise, Kenny Wayhe Shepherd and Jonny Lang are well worth looking out for.

The there's my personal favourites, Paul Lamb and the King Snakes. Paul Lamb is an exceptional blues harmonica player and they're a super tight band. Everything they've recorded is excellent and he changes the band quite a bit - in a John Mayall stylee! Try 'Take Your Time and Get it Right" and "The Blue Album."

Speaking of John Mayall, get "Bare Wires" "The Turning Point" and the outstanding "The Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton" which is rightly regarded by many as one of the best blues albums of all time.

/x

I need to build up a Blues repertoire like' date=' fast.

Can anyone suggest CD's I should go out and buy? Don't suggest those compilations that I got recently 'cos they're 85% useless. I'm looking for standards here.

Don't bother telling me that I have to be born with it, or that if I need to ask I'll never know. I refuse to believe that shit. Even the greats started somewhere, and I'm as willing to learn as they were.[/quote']

If this is an attempt to keep up with Mr Henry....good luck....he'll still pull stuff out of the bag that'll throw you, and as soon as you feel comftable with a song he'll adlib something just to throw you....he's evil I tell you......EVIL!!!

and more recently' date=' you really need to be owning some Stevie Ray Vaughan. His control and touch are unparalleled. Also modern wise, Kenny Wayhe Shepherd and Jonny Lang are well worth looking out for.

The there's my personal favourites, Paul Lamb and the King Snakes. Paul Lamb is an exceptional blues harmonica player and they're a super tight band. Everything they've recorded is excellent and he changes the band quite a bit - in a John Mayall stylee! Try 'Take Your Time and Get it Right" and "The Blue Album."

Speaking of John Mayall, get "Bare Wires" "The Turning Point" and the outstanding "The Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton" which is rightly regarded by many as one of the best blues albums of all time.

/x[/quote']

All good stuff. Stevie Ray Vaughan has an amazing DVD 'Live at El Mocambo' that should be compulsory viewing in schools.

Another of John Mayall's protegees is Walter Trout. Amazing.

I'd also go for Muddy Waters, never really got the BB King thing though.

For the older stuff I'd go with Leadbelly, Mississippi John Hurt, and Lightnin Hopkins. And Little Walter beats either of the Sonny Boy Williamsons for me.

Stevie Ray Vaughan has an amazing DVD 'Live at El Mocambo' that should be compulsory viewing in schools.

never really got the BB King thing though.

i'll admit i've never been a huge BB King fan either! although seeing him in his prime on the muhamed ali "when we were kings" DVD does send a shiver down my spine, cos his voice was so powerful back then.

and 'El Mocambo'is just a blueprint of guitar playing. It blows me away to watch!

/x