aberdeen-music

Simple question

Stripey

Performance, but not necessarily playing gigs, more the process of playing/creating music, either solo or with a group is whats important to me.

Although, that process may involve recording. :D

Performing, without a shadow of a doubt.

Recording is too precise and too sterile - even "live" recordings still have that sterile feeling. Live performance has something about it that just can't be replicated on a recording - ever listened to a bootleg after being at a gig? It just isn't the same..

Recording is what Im most interested in cos its a massive mindfuck thats either beautifully satisfying or completely awful depending on the results - but its always interesting and has a massive element of randomness in it that gives me a buzz - Im really into production and song writing/programming machines etc so its obvious Im more at home in a studio

Playing live is a short lived buzz and usually a laugh but dosent have the same challenge or end product to it as recording - still highly diggable, but Ive usually forgot about it by the next day

The biggest buzz Ive known is playing live on the radio, which is a mixture of performing and recording really = mega buzz!

Guest five years

Playing live is a short lived buzz and usually a laugh but dosent have the same challenge or end product to it as recording - still highly diggable' date=' but Ive usually forgot about it by the next day

[/quote']

i agree with that, except for when you're on tour...play gig - buzz, party, travel, party, play gig - buzz etc etc etc...

i think recording means different things to different people. for me, recording is truly part of the creative process, where as for others it may be just a method of getting recorded material that has already been written.

i can't say i prefer one or the other, however i know that i never get tired of recording/writing - i do get tired of playing live.

i agree with that' date=' except for when you're on tour...play gig - buzz, party, travel, party, play gig - buzz etc etc etc...[/quote']

indeed a tour (or even a short run of away gigs over a few days) is hard to beat for mental fun

a month working in a good studio or a month on tour? = hard call - both are equally the reason why you start or join a band in the first place probably

its a difficult question (but good one) to answer if you dig both aspects of band-ness

aye its bloody hard to get away for you mind, jesus i cant believe your 41 next month betamax you look good for your age, at least 38.

i'm very disappointed i havent heard the vidoes on 6 music, with the amount of shit you spout on these messageboards burnhams band is going places. hell i've not even seen you listed for some third rate crap arse gig in london. but hey there's nothing worse than an old looking band of course sharon has brought the average age down but as a band you still look far too old.

indeed a tour (or even a short run of away gigs over a few days) is hard to beat for mental fun

a month working in a good studio or a month on tour? = hard call - both are equally the reason why you start or join a band in the first place probably

its a difficult question (but good one) to answer if you dig both aspects of band-ness

great thing is i may bother checking in about 4 months

aye its bloody hard to get away for you mind' date=' jesus i cant believe your 41 next month betamax you look good for your age, at least 38.

i'm very disappointed i havent heard the vidoes on 6 music, with the amount of shit you spout on these messageboards burnhams band is going places. hell i've not even seen you listed for some third rate crap arse gig in london. but hey there's nothing worse than an old looking band of course sharon has brought the average age down but as a band you still look far too old.[/quote']

to do what?

no gigs for a while cos we are recording

and your too fat to pull a bird (unless you pay for it......ahem) :down:

Gigging is boring. I enjoy the time you're actually on stage if the gig's going down well, but generally it's a lot of hassle for me.

I like recording because I'm not into music for anyone else's benefit, I don't need to leave the house and I always enjoy listening to something that I've invested a lot of time into. I also have more control over what I'm doing when I record.

Gigging is boring. I enjoy the time you're actually on stage if the gig's going down well' date=' but generally it's a lot of hassle for me.[/quote']

I think you may be doing it wrong. I absolutely love gigging, whenever, wherever. Sometimes I even enjoy soundchecks...

I also love being in the studio, but I don't think there's a choice between recording and performing. To me recording is something you can do while you're performing.

whether you're on stage or in woodside library, it's all performance to me. i love getting it down and hearing it back but i'm not someone who can be arsed listening over the same drum track for a year to get the level of reverb right. it quickly loses its appeal. i love the immediacy and the spontaneity of gigging.

/x

aye its bloody hard to get away for you mind' date=' jesus i cant believe your 41 next month betamax you look good for your age, at least 38.

i'm very disappointed i havent heard the vidoes on 6 music, with the amount of shit you spout on these messageboards burnhams band is going places. hell i've not even seen you listed for some third rate crap arse gig in london. but hey there's nothing worse than an old looking band of course sharon has brought the average age down but as a band you still look far too old.[/quote']

Err, so does that mean you prefer recording or performing then? Or bitching about former bandmates...

Personally, I think I prefer recording, because technology allows such a scope nowadays for doing what you want without the conventions of a band. Having said that, I miss performing terribly after close to two years without playing (in a band, that is), and I can't wait to get the band version of Popcorn Fiend together. And I also did really enjoy those Gavfest gigs, so I guess both have their pros and cons. So much for giving an answer.