aberdeen-music

Ripping Off Your Influences

Guest tv tanned

Guest tv tanned

So

A huge furore on The Wildhearts mailing list at present.

A band named Active M have been caught out ripping off a number of Wildhearts songs to make up one of their songs (which they seem to have buried off their myspace and homepage sites)

luckily one list user streamed it onto an MP3 before it was deleted.

Those familiar with Wildhearts stuff, have a listen, it's really quite scary.

http://www.student.bth.se/~askr05/Active_M_-_Let_me_down_2047.mp3

Guest tv tanned
How can they possibly record a song like that' date=' yet not have The Wildhearts in their list of influences? I think it's safe to say there's a pretty strong Wildhearts 'influence' on that track![/quote']

Just a wee bit...

Guest tv tanned
I reckon their influence list probably read - Influences: THE WILDHEARTS!' date=' until people started noticing.[/quote']

Or maybe they thought, by not listing them, they could plead ignorance and say it was all just a big coincidence...

my god' date=' that's even more blatant than some of radio lucifer's songs!!![/quote']

Hey! I haven't ripped off the Wildhearts for a while! Although now that you mention it, it's about time I did again. I'll show these fuckers how to rip off a band and not get found out! Someone name me a Wildhearts song and I'll Radio Lucifer-ise it!

EDIT: But not "Sky Babies". I wouldn't know where to start ripping that off.

I just bought One Giant Step by Taj Mahal last month and discovered that Aerosmith lifted the opening lines / melody and general vibe of Hang Man Jury from a Ledbelly song Linin' Track "Walk boy, don't you lie on the track a lac a..." etc. .

Tyler (I think) claimed that they wrote it after hearing Taj's version then they moaned coz Leadbelly copyrighted an old work gang song and they now had to pay him some of the royalties . nowhere on their original credits does it say anything other than their own name (i.e. it was not all original). I bet they'd do the same if someone used one of their osngs...hypocrites.

From the same Taj Mahal album I recognised a sample used from his Mouth Music song (Mmm mmm mmm mm mm, mmmm mmm mmm mm mm). I think it was used in Beats International - Dub be good to me.

Led Zeppelin started their whole career off the back of old blues songs and copyrighting them as their own.

Led Zeppelin started their whole career off the back of old blues songs and copyrighting them as their own.

Yeh' date=' sorry to post this in a thread about the Wildhearts (i 'm not a fan really, but then i only heard a few things via my brother a few years back) but Led Zep (much as i love 'em) surely ripped off more songs that ended up shaping their own career, than many other bands less in the public eye. Heres a list (the whole page is:[url']http://www.warr.org/zep.html)

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."

"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.

"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).

"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."

"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."

"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).

"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."

"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."

"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).

"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.

"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.

"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.

"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.

"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.

"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."

"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

Poor Jakey Holmes...