aberdeen-music

Using a Laptop in live setting... Help?

PaulDW

I have been creating small recordings of samples and small bits of music that would be really handy to use live... Either through an amp or PA. However, I was wandering what hardware I would need to buy in order to plug my PC into an amp or PA system... Sorry for the extreme lack of technical know how... But any help would be much appreciated...

Cheapest options are preferred... but any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated...

I just have a headphone out at the moment... I know I could just get a jack with an adaptor to fit... I was just thinking that the quality might not be great though... Although I could be wrong, I might just try doing it that way...

I was thinking if there was an external soundcard or interface that I might need to get to do it properly?

Guest lime ruined my life
I'm sure there is' date=' but I've seen people with laptops use the headphone out, and its sounded fine to me![/quote']

noooooooo!

no!

you'll hear the sound of the hard drive!!!!!!!

"clickclikclicklci brrrrrrrrrrr whiiizzz!"

the very least you need is an external sound card. That way you can properly isolate the audio signal from the internal noise of the laptop.

you can get a usb sound card for about 30 quid. but one for proper musician applications would be nearer 80 for a low end card.

I'm sure there is' date=' but I've seen people with laptops use the headphone out, and its sounded fine to me![/quote']

although that is what the old gasbags did.

meeeeeeeeew.

noooooooo!

no!

you'll hear the sound of the hard drive!!!!!!!

"clickclikclicklci brrrrrrrrrrr whiiizzz!"

the very least you need is an external sound card. That way you can properly isolate the audio signal from the internal noise of the laptop.

you can get a usb sound card for about 30 quid. but one for proper musician applications would be nearer 80 for a low end card.

I take it you've never had to do LIVE sound.

sounds accurate enough to me, my laptop makes a hellish noise from all its crammed electrical components and is only usable onstage if i remove the dc power source cos it hums so bad. even without dc power and little hard drive action, it still bleeps all over the place. i'm actually considering buying an external audio interface to remedy just this problem.

sounds accurate enough to me' date=' my laptop makes a hellish noise from all its crammed electrical components and is only usable onstage if i remove the dc power source cos it hums so bad. even without dc power and little hard drive action, it still bleeps all over the place. i'm actually considering buying an external audio interface to remedy just this problem.[/quote']

You must be unlucky, most laptops I've hooked up have no problems (except the DC power hum sometimes, unplug, sorted).

Live is much more forgiving of little noises than recording. Most noise which is unbearable in a domestic/studio setting becomes irrelevant in a live setting.

oh, well i have played with a laptop in a live setting without a sound card and you're right, it wasn't a major problem.

Although, i've never seen a professional laptop musician use a laptop with on-board sound, and i'v seen a fair few.

My intention isnt to have it used in any big way... Just for a few background bits and pieces... Certainly nothing with much prominence musically... So I will give that a shot.. If it doesnt work, then ill look into an external soundcard... Anybody have any suggestions for a card if I do want to go down that road?

My intention isnt to have it used in any big way... Just for a few background bits and pieces... Certainly nothing with much prominence musically... So I will give that a shot.. If it doesnt work' date=' then ill look into an external soundcard... Anybody have any suggestions for a card if I do want to go down that road?[/quote']

if thats what you're planning on, the likely hood is you'll need an external sound card even more. the noise coming from the sound card when nothing is playing will be even more prominent.

Tried this out today on my pa sytem' date=' and through an amp... Didnt hear any extra noise or interference that is being spoken of... So I dont know... Will try a few different ways.[/quote']

ohwell, thats me told.