aberdeen-music

Myspace is taking over the world

A.Pel

Guest pop-notmyface

I'd also like to say that myspace is a den for the hollow' date=' and that I feel completely cheapened even for contemplating the idea of joining, let alone setting up a page.

[/quote']

i completely disagree. you appear to be looking at the "wrong" sort.

it's the same with everything, there is the minority that gives the majority a bad name, and there is stereotype that gives everyone a bad name. which basically means that we are all branded....which does not mean that there aren't people on myspace that are truly magnificent creatures :)

Guest pop-notmyface
I've seen it down once in the last 6 weeks...

...plus you get to play pac-man when it is...

well, it is down now, so if you want to play pacman, you have about ten minutes left....

GO GO GO GO!!!

Guest pop-notmyface
I just played it and i am really crap at it.

the thing is, that version of Pacman seems like the real deal!

i mean, forget those shit shareware version and all that crap, that seems so much like Namcos' original. wait, it probably is...

I've seen it down once in the last 6 weeks...

...plus you get to play pac-man when it is...

Well, I mean down as in "being slow and useless" :p

I'm not convinced that Myspace is actually as useful for promotion as people say it is - it seems that there's so much going on, it's pretty hard to tell if something actually is special or not. I did discover an utterly ace artist because of it (thank you Rachie...), but that's literally one artist in a sea of medicority.

I get the feeling that anyone tuned in as far as promotion goes would be seeking to use something far more innovative and catching than simply spamming on myspace.

i completely disagree. you appear to be looking at the "wrong" sort.

it's the same with everything' date=' there is the minority that gives the majority a bad name, and there is stereotype that gives everyone a bad name. which basically means that we are all branded....which does not mean that there aren't people on myspace that are truly magnificent creatures :)[/quote']

You call human beings magnificent creatures? Poor you...

Myspace is a form of degenerate popularity contest and you will not shake me on this. Do you not see the same thing on here? Do you honestly believe it's a "minority that gives the majority a bad name"?

People want to have friends and to feel like they're wanted. This is electronic Popular Culture, cleverly mixed with interactivity so people can do what they do best, speak shite to one another.

I will conceed to Michael that it maybe a good tool for bands, but the bulk of its pages are for "rate my ass" type content. Period.

I've booked three bands for our four upcoming gigs through myspace/.

Sure' date=' it's useful in that respect - but there's plenty of other sites that offer the same idea, so Myspace is hardly unique in that respect. I don't have any stats to hand, but sites like Purevolume get the point (the music) across a *lot* quicker.

If you look at the user experience side of things, a lot of myspace pages render terribly in Firefox and IE because of piss poor code - when that's combined with ridiculously sized pictures, the whole experience is prone to making browsers collapse. I'm not sure about the technical side of things, but look at how often Myspace falls head over feet.

[url']http://www.thereader.com/cover.php?subaction=showfull&id=1123705369&archive=&start_from=&ucat=5&

Pretty interesting article about it.

Ultimately I reckon it'll go the same way as a lot of other sites - bogged down with adverts to pay the bills and money being charged for the simplest of things. Livejournal managed to sell out to people who knew what they're doing, but Myspace seemingly sold out to the highest bidder without much consideration.

As I said earlier on, once everyone's using it, how will you distinguish between "good" and "bad"? My guess is that the people with the most money will control that, which pretty much puts things back where we were before Myspace even existed.

Myspace isn't a "bad" thing like some people make it out to be - if it's full of people trying to be more popular than the rest of them, so be it - I personally don't add anyone I don't know in real life, even if I think their music is fantastic so I've never met anyone off myspace - but if other people are happy to use it to extend their social life, so be it.

I think the final word is that it might be great just now if you have 134574 friends on there - but what use is the site going to be if everyone is friends with everyone else? As far as I see it, the site isn't actually that useful because of how long it takes to do simple things like posting a gig annoucement in everyone's comment boxes.

Myspace just strikes me as being aberdeen-music on a world scale - full of "music lovers" who don't actually support the music they talk about.

awww *hugs*

Now you let bob chat up all these women if he wants steph' date=' it helps our band :p[/quote']

no way milnerxcorexwhore.

He should put down his weirdo printoffs on "how to... self-publicise in some weird business that has nothing to do with him". Being a myspace-friend-whore-bag is no way to publicise a band. Psht how does he have time to say he loves other girls anyway, when I'll never get tired of hearing that he loves me?

anyway...

Then you are a victim of your own negativity. If it's something legal and it makes people happy then I don't have a problem with it. It can be a free means to stay in contact with people at great distance... for instance I've spoken to a guy I know from america on it. It's also free advertisement and when used in certain ways can be a useful tool for promoters and bands.

I would have thought you would be one not so quick to judge based on a stereotype.

Fuck you, that comment wasn't even about myspace. You don't even understand the context.

Who are you to say I am a victim of my own negativity? Do you really know me well enough to say that, Sharon? If you actually understood me, you'd never have mentioned anything like that, ever.

It's a corporate shell, and if you can't understand my reservations then I won't bother explaining myself. There are other ways to keep in contact with people, and there are plenty of better places to weblog.

no way milnerxcorexwhore.

He should put down his weirdo printoffs on "how to... self-publicise in some weird business that has nothing to do with him". Being a myspace-friend-whore-bag is no way to publicise a band. Psht how does he have time to say he loves other girls anyway' date=' when I'll never get tired of hearing that he loves me?

anyway...[/quote']

still tho its funny isnt it, especially when we end up with situations like this :)

It is only myspace steph think about it.