aberdeen-music

New Darkness album (fans only please)

Afro Droid

Friggin' ace. And dare I say ambitious?

Agreed.

Not too keen on Hazel Eyes though. My favourites are Is It Just Me? and Dinner Lady Arms.

You can definitely spot the Queen influence in this record - I'd even go as far to say as there is bits of Boston and Sweet in there as well. A big change from the AC/DC type riffs from the first release.

I'd say it is less copycat than Permission To Land, though there are still the obvious influences. It sounds more diverse and maybe slightly less rocking (not that I personally see that as a bad thing). Justin is a lot more ambitious with his singing. I though it was ok but disappointing on first listen, second time brilliant, on my third just now. Can't wait to get the vinyl for christmas :)

i'm going to see them, can't wait!

this album is truly superb - my fave track is Bald....how awesomely rocking is that song?! The synth solo on girlfriend is sublime too...

definitely a grower of an album though - took a few listens....then again, so did permission to land!

i think this will help knock back the doubters who labelled them as a copycat band.

Ordered today from Amazon - 7.99 delivered.

The reviews have all been fair so far, most very positive, except the absolute gobshite in the NME oing on about how the Darkness are "pop" not "rock" - why the two are mutually exclusive I have no idea. I suspect he's just annoyed a band he NME haven't deemed cool sell records.

I hope the Darkness don't go belly up on this recrd, and I've got a good feeling they'll do OK....

Right just listened to the whole thing via the free preview on Myspace. Well I'm not majorly impressed, but it's a decent, good fun, album. I think it's a big improvement over Permission to Land, but still not quite there. A few excellent standout tracks, especially Hazel Eyes & Bald and the rest of it is solid enough. Overall I'd say it's worth buying and it's a big step in the right direction! I think they're gonna hit the next one on the head! :rockon:

Andy

I think it's pretty good on first listen. I'm actually mildly dissappointed they have gone and written an album thats very different to their first - I was kinda hoping they'd just write another album of comedy AC/DC and Queen rip-off songs!

English Country Garden has THE Best line ever in any song ever written ever:

"She said 'have you got a match', I said 'Yes my cock and farmer Giles prize winning marrow'"

Classic :D