aberdeen-music

The NME 'Cool List'

Swingin' Ryan

Has anybody seen this? Number One...the guy from the Artic Monkeys...are you fucking kidding?

Brandon Flowers two places ahead of Bob Dylan? Baffling.

10 points to the guy from The Towers of London though' date=' I don't think I've ever heard his band but on the strength of his bit, they're my new favourite one. 90 percent of the entrants turn up to the photo shoot looking like they've fallen off the pages of My Space and answer the little blurb questions with shit like "My definition of cool?...whatever you want it to be."

The guy from Towers of London is wearing a white vest with "Fuck Cool" written on it, Aviator shades and says his first memory of something cool is "the first time he looked in the mirror". Thank God someone making music still has a sense of humour.

I'm going to make it my life's mission to get on that cool list and say something vaguely interesting.[/quote']

Because Bob Dylan is suddenly hip this year...?

I would have to agree. I hate to sound like one of those annoying old people who go on an on about how "it were much better in the good old days." On the contrary I believe that there is a lot of exciting new music out there - some of it even graces the pages of the NME. No' date=' while I don't take issue with the bands covered in its pages every week the actual standard of journalism on diplay is rancid. The NME has been in a slow decline since the mid 90s and probably isn't helped by the fact that it has the indie ghetto all to itself now and doesn't have to compete with the late lamented Sounds and Record Mirror.

Whereas it used to have lucid and erudite articles with real depth and passion for the music on display it now reads like one of those advertsing supplements you get for HMV or whatever where record company PR men froth about this week's hot new acts. The rest is adverts along with a paltry couple of pages of blipvert reviews by the gaggle of meedja studies grads that compile it every week. Even the letters page has ceased to be enteraining any more.[/quote']

I agree with you about the quality of journalism. Reading old reviews of Joy Division in their Goth special issue thingy it seemed like back then the review was of the music unlike now where you don't read a thing about the actual music until half through the review, just a heap of stupid made up terms to describe the band usually using misinformed cliches (since when have any Hope of the States' songs had "space solos"!?)

Guest pop-notmyface
I do feel mildly nauseated that Brandon Flowers is considered a top cat' date=' however.[/quote']

hey, I would be a top cat if my surname happened to be Flowers.

heck, even Alisdair Flowers would be a top cat.

NME *should* be good, there's so much potential there but they've just turned into fashion whores, jumping on bandwagons, alternatively praising a band for doing something then slamming them next issue. It's fucked up. There are no decent music magazines out there, everything is either concerned with only one type of music or can't make up their own opinion.

Stick to the culture section of the Sunday papers, amazingly diverse music reviewed and there's no allusion to being cool.

no no' date=' this is not a well thought out statement.

NME is NOT a pile of pish. and if you think about it carefully, then you'll find yourself to agree.

NME stands for New Musical Express which suggest it coveres what is basically "hot and straight off from the corporate music grill". surely, there is nothing wrong with bringing you the latest new bands, right?

and of course, you need to keep in mind that NME is aimed at the pop and alternative culture of 2005. you'll be hard stretched to find something in the magazine that doesn't appeal to the current market, ie. nu-metal or the latest grind-core thrashers. there is Metal Hammer or Kerrang to cover that area of music.

sorry, i'm not taking a dig at you at all.[/quote']

awfully sorry.

forgot to put that that was my personal opinion.

anyway last time I read NME they were saying that Thursday were an up and coming band....hardly hot off the press...

Guest pop-notmyface
NME they were saying that Thursday were an up and coming band....hardly hot off the press...

no not really, even Q Magazine published something about that in their new bands section, like whenever Full Collapse came out. then again, it always says that when an underground band "breaks through".

but we'll have to keep in mind that NME is the music equivilant of FHM, which is waaay below the standards of Q Magazine (Esquire maybe). (ha, that last comment didn't actually make any sense :p