aberdeen-music

The NME 'Cool List'

Swingin' Ryan

Has anybody seen this? Number One...the guy from the Artic Monkeys...are you fucking kidding?

Brandon Flowers two places ahead of Bob Dylan? Baffling.

10 points to the guy from The Towers of London though, I don't think I've ever heard his band but on the strength of his bit, they're my new favourite one. 90 percent of the entrants turn up to the photo shoot looking like they've fallen off the pages of My Space and answer the little blurb questions with shit like "My definition of cool?...whatever you want it to be."

The guy from Towers of London is wearing a white vest with "Fuck Cool" written on it, Aviator shades and says his first memory of something cool is "the first time he looked in the mirror". Thank God someone making music still has a sense of humour.

I'm going to make it my life's mission to get on that cool list and say something vaguely interesting.

Guest pop-notmyface
I'm going to make it my life's mission to get on that cool list and say something vaguely interesting.

i don't think i'd take much more than putting a hamster in your mouth and saying it tasted like chicken (without actually having eaten the animal, but for the sake of publicity, we can say otherwise).

Yeah i'm with you there bud, it's fuckin stupid, Artic Monkeys turn up for 10 mins and already NME put them number 1! look at the fuckin state of the guy! that's cool? i hate the whole "you're cool if you're uncool" shit, I mean i get were they're coming from but at least make a fuckin effort! i'd sooner look thru it and see a big fuck off piciture of Jimmy Page in his sparking wizards outfit! back then rock n' roll stars where sumthin to aspire to and idolise and we get stuck with fuckin geek boy!

i don't think i'd take much more than putting a hamster in your mouth and saying it tasted like chicken (without actually having eaten the animal' date=' but for the sake of publicity, we can say otherwise).[/quote']

Judging by this list, all you have to do is be in a band (or have been in a band at some point in your life, even if you've only been in a band for about 2 weeks), and wear a polo shirt.

i hate the whole "you're cool if you're uncool" shit' date=' I mean i get were they're coming from but at least make a fuckin effort! i'd sooner look thru it and see a big fuck off piciture of Jimmy Page in his sparking wizards outfit! back then rock n' roll stars where sumthin to aspire to and idolise[/quote']

Exactly!

Towers of London are poo.

I wasn't surprised in the slightest that "Arctic Monkeys lead singer man" was a number 1, NME have been creaming their pants over them even more than they did about the Libertines. Shame that none of the Arctic Monkeys have a personality like Pete or Carl.

Marks off for having Damon Albarn anywhere near a cool list, least of all placing him at 12.

Guest pop-notmyface

acutally. that's true. as long as you're down with the fasion trend and the indie sound, you'll be alright for a while. but i can assure, some of these will not be in that list in the future, but Bob Dylan will remain for sure. it takes more than looking fashionable and saying something cool.

Guest pop-notmyface
NME = pile of pish

no no, this is not a well thought out statement.

NME is NOT a pile of pish. and if you think about it carefully, then you'll find yourself to agree.

NME stands for New Musical Express which suggest it coveres what is basically "hot and straight off from the corporate music grill". surely, there is nothing wrong with bringing you the latest new bands, right?

and of course, you need to keep in mind that NME is aimed at the pop and alternative culture of 2005. you'll be hard stretched to find something in the magazine that doesn't appeal to the current market, ie. nu-metal or the latest grind-core thrashers. there is Metal Hammer or Kerrang to cover that area of music.

sorry, i'm not taking a dig at you at all.

NME is just Smash Hits for Indie Kids and, like Smash Hits, you grow out of it after a while.

Still, enjoy it while you can - when you begin to get fed up with it then you'll look at things like "The Cool List" with embressment.

Anyway, XFM has a vote thing going so you can start even more pointless arguments - http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?b=news&id=146582

NME = pile of pish

I would have to agree. I hate to sound like one of those annoying old people who go on an on about how "it were much better in the good old days." On the contrary I believe that there is a lot of exciting new music out there - some of it even graces the pages of the NME. No, while I don't take issue with the bands covered in its pages every week the actual standard of journalism on diplay is rancid. The NME has been in a slow decline since the mid 90s and probably isn't helped by the fact that it has the indie ghetto all to itself now and doesn't have to compete with the late lamented Sounds and Record Mirror.

Whereas it used to have lucid and erudite articles with real depth and passion for the music on display it now reads like one of those advertsing supplements you get for HMV or whatever where record company PR men froth about this week's hot new acts. The rest is adverts along with a paltry couple of pages of blipvert reviews by the gaggle of meedja studies grads that compile it every week. Even the letters page has ceased to be enteraining any more.

NME is just Smash Hits for Indie Kids and' date=' like Smash Hits, you grow out of it after a while.

Still, enjoy it while you can - when you begin to get fed up with it then you'll look at things like "The Cool List" with embressment.

Anyway, XFM has a vote thing going so you can start even more pointless arguments - [url']http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?b=news&id=146582

That is the sound of the nail being hit on the head.

I'm thoroughly sick of NME nowadays, as french_disko said it really is just like Smash Hits now (they even do that thing of calling people by their band name instead of their surname e.g Ricky Kaiser). I buy it once every couple of months out of a mix of habit and morbid fascination, it's like watching The Office, I just cringe through the whole thing.

The worst bit is when a band has a succesful album and then they show you an extract from an old NME review of their first EP or something, then claim they 'discovered' them.

Granted, it does seem to be a pretty popular phenomenon with the music press.

It could be helpful if it was a lesser known member of a band, but I think the majority of NME readers have the guy from the Kaiser Chiefs permanently etched on their frontal lobe, you can barely pick up the Guardian without seeing his grinning mug in an Oxford boating blazer.