aberdeen-music

remixing give it to me

musiccube

Guest Neubeatz
Something strikes me as odd....have you ever noticed that people involved with the electronic scene are so uptight?

I dont get it....

Im not defending Musicube here, but there are uptight mothers everywhere, I saw a rocker splattering a guy's head open three weeks ago at a rock jam in stoney, totally unprovoked violence. There was absolutely no techno at the gig....:)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laughing:

I love the way certain people on this site talk about "people" in "other places" without ever naming names. Remixing some fat american kid's "metal" track doesn't count :D

It does if the the remix sounds good!

Something strikes me as odd....have you ever noticed that people involved with the electronic scene are so uptight?

I dont get it....

Can't say I've noticed that atall. Most people in the "electronic scene" that I deal with are really cool , intelligent, creative people with bags of enthusiasm and drive.

Thats all very well but' date=' who do people think they are assuming that they can take a musical creation lovingly conceived and produced by musicians, and in some way make it better? Has it never occured to you that the bands on here who have produced music and gone to the bother of multi track recording it dont want someone else dicking with it.

The other problem is that the majority of recordings made by bands on here will be live, or in part live, so no use to a re-mixer.

Where is it written that people should, just because its offered free, rush to give their precious recordings to someone who claims to be some re-mix guru? if bands dont jump to this it doesnt make them blinkered just content with their own efforts.[/quote']

It's not about "somehow making it better", it's about collaboration and exploring new creative avenues. Over the past few years I've just come to the conclusion that a lot of so called musicians in Aberdeen just aren't interested in that anyway, and are way behind the times in terms of what constitutes a modern approach to creating music, so the smallminded responses to this thread aren't really that surprising.

It's not about "somehow making it better"' date=' it's about collaboration and exploring new creative avenues. Over the past few years I've just come to the conclusion that a lot of so called musicians in Aberdeen just aren't interested in that anyway, and are way behind the times in terms of what constitutes a modern approach to creating music, so the smallminded responses to this thread aren't really that surprising.[/quote']

there's nothing wrong with collaboration and exploration, i'm all for it. i just wouldn't want to collaborate with some random bloke who comes across like he's god's gift to remixing then abuses everyone(one post calling him a dickhead does not warrant the torrent of abuse he's spouted since virtually the first page of this thread) who didn't rush to take up this bargain of a lifetime. frankly i don't think even if this chap did post up examples of his work it would make much difference now.

anyway, it's not just about musicians being overly precious about their work, it's also about respect. musiccube here seems to have no respect for the people he's approaching so why the hell would anyone take him up on the offer if he couldn't care less about it?

It's not about "somehow making it better"' date=' it's about collaboration and exploring new creative avenues. Over the past few years I've just come to the conclusion that a lot of so called musicians in Aberdeen just aren't interested in that anyway, and are way behind the times in terms of what constitutes a modern approach to creating music, so the smallminded responses to this thread aren't really that surprising.[/quote']

Your entitled to your opinion but I dont think its fair describing someone as small minded because they dont agree with what you believe would be good for their music....

If its all so creative and clever write and record your own and you can dick with that all you like....

Thats all very well but' date=' who do people think they are assuming that they can take a musical creation lovingly conceived and produced by musicians, and in some way make it better? Has it never occured to you that the bands on here who have produced music and gone to the bother of multi track recording it dont want someone else dicking with it.

The other problem is that the majority of recordings made by bands on here will be live, or in part live, so no use to a re-mixer.

[/quote']

I certainly didn't say that remixing a tune would make it better - just that it might better the band being remixed.

Ever since remixing became common place in the 80s the record companies have been more than keen to promote this cash cow - remixing potentially increases a bands available output and often is targeted at a different area of the market increasing the likelyhood of attracting fans who would not normally consider the original artist. There are many commercial tracks that have been much more successful as a remix which in turn has led retrospectively to massivly enhanced interest in the original artist.

I'm not sure where all the hostility to the term 'remixing' comes from on this forum - if a guitar band record a demo and decide to go back because they wanted to add another guitar part, thats a remix - is that 'dicking' with their 'lovingly crafted piece of art' or enhancing it ? Some listeners would prefer the original version and some the new version with two guitar parts, which is better ? Impossible to say, but it has increased the appeal of the track.

From an up and coming bands perspective, there is a growing trend amoungst A&R to see the band explore remixing especially when it has the potential to increase the buying audience, it shows the band have commercial savvy and potentially a better investment.

BTW having tracks that are live or partly live is not a problem, by this are you suggesting that the musicians cannot play in time ? The software tools are more than capable of dealing with an drift and you can either 'fix' the timing or have the sequencer follow the recorded timing.

I really don't understand what happened here.

I don't think there has been any hostility toward remixing from anyone, I'm sure plenty people here would have been very interested. I really don't think there's such a divide between 'electronic' and 'non-electronic' musicians as some people from both 'sides' seem to think. But, perhaps understandably, some people wanted to know what kind of result they could expect. Perhaps some of these requests were slightly less than eloquent, but I can't see the justification for the monumental teddy-throwing that followed.

I would happily have provided several songs worth of individual tracks that I have to hand, but I'm hardly of a mind to do that now. Very strange thread.

Guest Page 99

Re-Mixes work best when they add something completly new to the track. Heck I would consider having my bands stuff re-interpreted by and electronic artist if we got to a high enough standard recording wise, it worked a treat with D.A. and Merzbow after all, and it's always fun to hear someone listening to music and then giving it and entirly new twist by re-mixing/interpreting it; but the reactions of the thread starters reeks of arrogance, and hostility. Not exactly the best way to form working relations with bands. If this venture was about sharing musical talents, rather than boasting, they would not have reacted in such a childish manner me thinks.

Can't say I've noticed that atall. Most people in the "electronic scene" that I deal with are really cool ' date=' intelligent, creative people with bags of enthusiasm and drive.[/quote']

Yeah like i said, it was a bit of a sweeping generalisation....but i have met a vast amount of uptight cunts.

Remixing is all good.....someone used a riff from one of our songs in a strange r+b track...never heard the result of it though....

• 3 weeks later...