aberdeen-music

Bonnie "Prince" Billy Playing Aberdeen in April

Molly Bawn.

Great night. Harem Scarem were superb. Lots of fun and amazing musicians.

BNB though. Wow. Didn't look completely comfortable until Harem Scarem joined him onstage but from then on it was awesome. The Celtic sound worked really well with the songs. Gig of the year so far.

Would have liked to hear Madeleine Mary though...

aye that's the song, it was lovely. must dig out the alasdair roberts version for a listen later.

madeleine mary woulda been awesome, maybe next time *crosses fingers, toes and other flexible body parts for a bpb return* :)

Oh man it was fantastic. It was much better than I dared hope for. It could so easily have all gone soooo wrong.

I think that the female vocals reigned him in a bit (especially on Wolf Among Wolfs) as he tends to get a bit loose live with the guys.

It was sweet! Yeah Molly Bawn was certainly a highlight for me. Thought I See A Darkness and I Live By the Sea were also phenomenal.

I was just gutted he only played a short set.

Total respect for Harem Scarem though. They are not my bag but they did themselves and Will proud last night. Serously considering trying to catch another gig on the tour now. Nice touch bringing his own drummer/percussionist though (Pete Townsend?). I think he was instrumental in holding it all down. Liked the bowing of the cymbals.

Last thanks to my old school mate Steve for getting a damn fine spot to observe it all from.

Oh man it was fantastic. It was much better than I dared hope for. It could so easily have all gone soooo wrong.

I think that the female vocals reigned him in a bit (especially on Wolf Among Wolfs) as he tends to get a bit loose live with the guys.

It was sweet! Yeah Molly Bawn was certainly a highlight for me. Thought I See A Darkness and I Live By the Sea were also phenomenal.

I was just gutted he only played a short set.

Total respect for Harem Scarem though. They are not my bag but they did themselves and Will proud last night. Serously considering trying to catch another gig on the tour now. Nice touch bringing his own drummer/percussionist though (Pete Townsend?). I think he was instrumental in holding it all down. Liked the bowing of the cymbals.

Last thanks to my old school mate Steve for getting a damn fine spot to observe it all from.

by short set do you mean the set he played all on his lonesome?

we were trying to decide if it was the same drummer he had in edinburgh last year, certainly had a similar style. a very fine drummer indeed anyhoo.

wonder how big a jump there is in harem scarem's cd sales now :)

I forgot I was standing! I forgot how hot it was! I forgot I had a sore knee! I forgot to not drink due to affa early start !

Up there as one of my fave gigs in a long long time. The man has an amazing voice that sing amazing lyrics that could make grown men weep. Faaaaaaaaab night!

Glad everyone enjoyed it. Hard to see how it could've gone better, really. Madeleine Mary would have been nice though...

Sorry about anyone's discomfort but it's just not practical to run the A/C in the venue for a show with such quiet moments. No apologies for making it seated though, there's no way we would have achieved the rapt silence we had if we'd made it standing. The seats could be a bit comfier, right enough, but you can't have everything.

The drummer Alex Nielsen did play on the dates last August.

Still a few tickets left for Perth Theatre on Sunday. I think everywhere else is pretty much sold out now.

just tracked down the thread!....

I'd just agree with everyone ... what a fantastic gig, it's probably bumped into the top 5 "in tha deen"...if not top "top 5"...

heaps of "hairs on the back of the neck" moments.

So, did Inge manage to get mr Oldham along to the Lampie after?...now that would have been a great session to see...did anyone go?

I just hope he would consider coming back again, funded or not!...a standing BPB gig would generate enough dosh? no ?.....

and, no smoking! fantastic...I've been in london all this time, and it's amazing the difference, I even wore the same jumper the next day, without having to wash it!

back in smokie old Londinium now, but only for another 3 weeks...

fantastic gig.

peep

PS< I think the Edinburgh Show is being broadcast on radio scotland live...so keep yer ears peeled...

April 2006 - With Bonnie Prince Billy

10 – The Lemon Tree, Aberdeen

11 – The ABC, Glasgow

12 – The Queens Hall, Edinburgh

13 – The Sage, Gateshead

15 – Ardross Hall, Alness

16 – The Perth Theatre, Perth

17 – Roisin Dubh, Galway

18 – Wheelans, Dublin

19 – Wheelans, Dublin

21 – Craignish Village Hall, Argyll

22 – Glenuig Village Hall, West Highland

all sold out?....shitty shotty

when's the edinburgh show then? i may have to tape that one if it's broadcast.

we were gonna go the blue lamp but figured it would close at 12 and by 11.40 will oldham was still in the lemon tree speaking to folk so we went to estaminet instead.

EDIT: ah, guess that answers that question. so it'll be on tonight you reckon phil?

aye aye...

well, Inge told us that she thought it was Edinburgh being recorded (and that is tonight), but I scoured the BBC site and couldn't find anything today...and it's 21.38 now....

perhaps it's going to be broadcast as a session?...

bah!...

I wish the lemon tree gig was recorded....

Just to let you know the Prince listens and your voice does count' date=' he played Madeleine Mary tonight in Perth after checking out this forum earlier in the week.

[/quote']

well... bugger...

nice to know he's read how much we enjoyed the show though!

I was at the Perth show tonight and it was fantastic! Wasn't too keen on Harem Scarem on their own' date=' but they did work really well with BPB. The drummer was Alex Nielsen (i think that's how it's spelt) who is in Scatter and has played with Alisdair Roberts, and is rather amazing.[/quote']

thanks, i was wondering if he played in a band as well.