aberdeen-music

Richard Burns has died

framheim

yea him and mcrae always looked like they hated each other. it did indeed make for great watching. he was a great champion and it's a real shame he's gone so young. rip.

It was always bullshit....they were quite close friends off camera.

Its makes me feel quite uncomfortable knowing how the McRae/Burns rivalry made him very unpopular among Scottish rally fans (me included) He was the most successful English rally driver ever, and the only one to win the world championship....it was funny how McRae was british until Burns won the title, he then reverted to being a Scot.

A sad sad loss to World motorsport.

It was always bullshit....they were quite close friends off camera.

Its makes me feel quite uncomfortable knowing how the McRae/Burns rivalry made him very unpopular among Scottish rally fans (me included) He was the most successful English rally driver ever' date=' and the only one to win the world championship....it was funny how McRae was british until Burns won the title, he then reverted to being a Scot.

A sad sad loss to World motorsport.[/quote']

really? that's quite good to know.

really? that's quite good to know.

In fact this is a quote from the McRae Motorsport website (which is quite good if you havnt seen it...

November 26, 2005

Colin pays tribute to Richard Burns

Richard was a friend and at the same time a very fierce rival. We had many great battles together, notably the 2001 Wales Rally GB when he took the World Rally Championship.

I have seen Richard on a number of occasions during the past 2 years and the greatest battle he has put up was against his illness. Richard was a true character in the world of rallying and will be sadly missed as a competitor and as a friend to many people

My thoughts at the moment are with Richard, Zoe, his family and all the close friends that have supported him during the last 2 years.

Guest MerryChristmas
i cant believe he has died' date=' for me personally this is more of a loss than george best. it was such a shame when he had to retire from the rallying.[/quote']

agreed, better personality

The interviews were always good when the two of them were competing, although I got the impression they kind of sided with each other when Marcus Grondholm (or however the fuck you spell his name) was winning a lot. I liked the fact that everyone that was interviewed was crabbit and generally unpleasent about their colleagues.

It's a real shame he died when he should still have been out there racing.

Guest tv tanned

a great driver taken far too young.

a far more tragic loss than Best, given that Burns never pissed his life up against a wall.

it's one of life's sick ironies that Best can screw himself up, yet still live to the age of 59, yet Burns is taken at the age of 34 without the opportunity to get a second chance like Best got.

Note: I'm not saying that Best deserved to die, merely that his lifestyle was far more destructive than Richard Burns', yet he was given another chance at life with his liver transplant.

a great driver taken far too young.

a far more tragic loss than Best' date=' given that Burns never pissed his life up against a wall.

it's one of life's sick ironies that Best can screw himself up, yet still live to the age of 59, yet Burns is taken at the age of 34 without the opportunity to get a second chance like Best got.

Note: I'm not saying that Best deserved to die, merely that his lifestyle was far more destructive than Richard Burns', yet he was given another chance at life with his liver transplant.[/quote']

Please dont speak so much shit....

Do you think George best choose to die?

George Best was an alcoholic, its a disease/addiction that kills hundreds of thousands of people around the world, its something that can happen to anyone who drinks on a regular basis.

Guest tv tanned

Your lack of ability to divorce blinkered opinions when reading things I say notwithstanding, I did not say Best deserved to die, nor that alcoholics choose to die, many are tragic cases, equally within them there's a minority that do not take the chances offered to them by liver transplants or counselling.

There are exceptions within every rule, so please do not try and tell me that every single alcoholic is a victim of the exact same set of circumstances.

You cannot compare Best's alcoholism with that of the man begging for cash to buy a bottle of cheap vodka.

Your lack of ability to divorce blinkered opinions when reading things I say notwithstanding' date='[/quote']

What on earth do you mean by that?

I did not say Best deserved to die,

I didnt say you did

there's a minority that do not take the chances offered to them by liver transplants or counselling.

And I believe that these are the sadest cases.

There are exceptions within every rule, so please do not try and tell me that every single alcoholic is a victim of the exact same set of circumstances.

Addicts may not start off from the same place but if they dont recover they all end up in the same place....regardless of circumstances.

You cannot compare Best's alcoholism with that of the man begging for cash to buy a bottle of cheap vodka.

Why not? George Best ended up homeless, his wife had long since washed her hands of him, in what way is that different from a street wino?

I will not argue over this..... its not a competition, two great sportsmen have died in very different ways, but their deaths are a tragic loss, its not a who's the greatest loss and why contest is all i'm saying.

Guest tv tanned
I will not argue over this..... its not a competition' date=' two great sportsmen have died in very different ways, but their deaths are a tragic loss, its not a who's the greatest loss and why contest is all i'm saying.[/quote']

I never intended to turn it into one.

Addiction is an illness' date=' but there is also an element of choice. In the most simplistic way you can chose not to drink and accept the treatment offered, or you can chose to continue to drink.......[/quote']

That is indeed simplistic.....

Music will make you deaf.....try giving that up.

Its all very easy for the lucky people who dont have an adictive nature......fuckin tough for the rest of us.

G...