aberdeen-music

Touching the Void

-matthEw-

I seen it a while back and find it to be an awe-inspiring story of what the human body can endure.

After breaking my leg I'd be like...'right where's the cyanide capsule'..but to go through that, then fall 300ft underground through an ice glacier...then after 3 days being stuck, decide that the only option you have is to go deeper into the glacier, knowing your going to die. I mean the story just begins there which is amazing.

I felt sorry for his climbing buddy, he took a lot of stick and was heavily critised for cutting the rope. Like he had an option!!!

But all in all, its the greatest survival of all time, and is an astounding story with plenty of action to keep anyone entertained... :rockon:

I felt sorry for his climbing buddy' date=' he took a lot of stick and was heavily critised for cutting the rope. Like he had an option!!!

[/quote']

I think the film makes Simon Yates (the guy who cut the rope) to be a bit heartless and doesn't really emphisis quite how much he endured trying to save Joe Simpson's life before he was forced to cut the rope. Joe Simpson's said he'd have done the same if it was the other way round.

As usuall, the book's better...it has section's written by Simon about what he was going through at the time too. And also that Richard guy doesn't come out looking quite as useless as the film made him...

Does kinda give me second thoughts about the whole climbing thing though...

Still a great film though...

yeah i saw it on more4 a while ago - it's really good. i've never really understood why his climbing buddy got so much shit from the climbing 'community' as it were though.

I just can't believe what that guy did.

yeah I've been reading how there is still a hell of a lot of people that flat out refuse to speak to him anymore for what he did. but surely he had no other option?