aberdeen-music

Maths Students.

Paulscoconutass

• 3 weeks later...
the above is not a maths question... it is an arithmetic question..... i get pissed off when people don't know the difference....

btw i've no idea what the answer is.... :o?

I may be wrong, but, I think arithmetic IS part of maths. Or at least when i did maths at school, arithmetic was part of it.

I may be wrong' date=' but, I think arithmetic IS part of maths. Or at least when i did maths at school, arithmetic was part of it.[/quote']

arithmetic is used in maths, sure, but would you phrase the question:

celestial navigation students: who knows the way to belmont street?

maths, surely consists of trig/calculus/algebra/geometry/numerical methods/numerical series etc....arithmetic is an elementary prerequisite of maths....

the origins of the association of a "maths question" with simple arithmetic is derived from TV quizzes, manufactured for dumb-asses, trying to pass them selves off as a pursuit of intellectual value....

hence my objection to the "ann robinson type maths question: quickest on buzzers what's 9 times 3? or 30% of 1000? or how many beanz make five? etc"

arithmetic is used in maths' date=' sure, but would you phrase the question:

celestial navigation students: who knows the way to belmont street?

maths, surely consists of trig/calculus/algebra/geometry/numerical methods/numerical series etc....arithmetic is an elementary prerequisite of maths....

the origins of the association of a "maths question" with simple arithmetic is derived from TV quizzes, manufactured for dumb-asses, trying to pass them selves off as a pursuit of intellectual value....

hence my objection to the "ann robinson type maths question: quickest on buzzers what's 9 times 3? or 30% of 1000? or how many beanz make five? etc"[/quote']

I'm really not sure why you're getting onto a high horse about this, especially as you didn't even know the answer to the question. It's a maths related question and therefore a maths student would be an obvious person to ask for the answer. Simple as.

I'm really not sure why you're getting onto a high horse about this' date=' especially as you didn't even know the answer to the question. It's a maths related question and therefore a maths student would be an obvious person to ask for the answer. Simple as.[/quote']

i guess i'm pissed off that so many people are adhering to/and reinforcing the misconception that you need a mathematician to derive an answer for such a simple question*, that really a 3rd year secondary school student of arithmetic should stumble his or her way through...

for the record....

profit = sale price less cost price, in this case 69,860, hence profit (expressed as percentage of cost price (which is what i guessed the questioner was after) is 49,900%

so you'd pose such a question to

a. a mathematician

b. an economist

c. an evangelist

delete as appropriate.

*pride before a fall, how much d'you wanna bet i fucked it up... :o/

i guess i'm pissed off that so many people are adhering to/and reinforcing the misconception that you need a mathematician to derive an answer for such a simple question*' date=' that really a 3rd year secondary school student of arithmetic should stumble his or her way through...

for the record....

profit = sale price less cost price, in this case 69,860, hence profit (expressed as percentage of cost price (which is what i guessed the questioner was after) is 49,900%

so you'd pose such a question to

a. a mathematician

b. an economist

c. an evangelist

delete as appropriate.

*pride before a fall, how much d'you wanna bet i fucked it up... :o/[/quote']

hmm what are the odds? oh know thats more maths isnt it :p