aberdeen-music

Franz Ferdinand

framheim

just back from the gig at the exhibition centre. have to say it was pretty darn good. usual bad things about an exhibition centre gig applied but they were affy good and likeable.

does anyone else have the urge to rip off peoples arms whenever they hold up their mobile phone to record a band on video? dicks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone else have the urge to rip off peoples arms whenever they hold up their mobile phone to record a band on video? dicks.

Yes! I thought it was just me! The mobile phone is the curse of modern gigs. :nono: I pay my money to watch a band live in the flesh. If I wanted pictures I could buy a book or a magazine, if I want a live video there will invariably be one out there somewhere with decent picture quality and 5.1 surround.

If I had my way I would invent a machine that rendered the things inoperable within a certain radius. That would show 'em! :rockon:

the gig was not far from average, i suppose if your into that shite that franz ferdinand play you would enjoy it but to be fair its a good job for franz that the rakes did not play coz that they would have easily stole the show. Editors were good (yes editors not THE EDITORS as everyone likes to call them) but didnt take the dissapointment of not seeing the rakesoff my face. Should i complain, yes i have seen them twice this year, of course i should, it said on the fucking ticket that they would be there, once again Jools Holland has fucked us over. Its fucking shit when you look at the Aberdeen gig getting the 1990s and London getting The Cribs. Just shows that nobody gives a fuck about our city.

The thing that annoyed me was the amount of kids (under 14) and dicks there. I always hate gigs in the AECC as all the arseholes seem to go just cause it doesn't involve travelling' date=' but i suppose if more bands came up to play there, it wouldn't be such a novelty.[/quote']

so your saying that kids under 14 should not be allowed at gigs? Thats just bullshit, if they like the band they have the same rights as you to go and see that band, its only better for music if kids are getting into bands at an early stage. Would you rather they all took a field trip to see Westlife and fund it from tax payers? Im not a big franz fan and im not a father but i would like my kid to be into franz when they were like 12 coz it gives them a stepping stone to begin to like good music like i do

AECC IS SHIT 3 for half a pint of warm lager

And being told that I could not smoke indoors, and if I went outside I would not get back in-just like The Beach Ballroom = Natzi petty scumbags ,they don't mention these facts when trying to sell tickets + no seats = STAND FOR 4HOURS - you are kidding right? "NO WE ARE NAZI SCUMBAGS"+ bands being advertised starting at earlier times+ assholes throwing drinks and not being ejected, BUT...

Aye Franz were worth all these grievances,at least I got in free...Editors were nae bad but The 1990s were a bit soft.

The big screen /mixed LIVE camera angles /lights/backdrops and stage prescence were pretty special.

Mon the Franz.

i thought franz were fucking boring. thoroughly unimpressed. the singles were all rather good, but at least i could have a wee dance to them - the remainder of the set, littered with shite filler songs that you forget as instantly as you hear, was just bland. i can't really think of much good to say to be honest. i really, really wanted them to be ace but i've seen so many better bands that hail from this very city that put them to shame.

editors were fucking ace however and made the gig worth paying something stupid like 25 to get in. why did i pay that? because franz are meant to be ace live. i paid something like 8 to see the futureheads play at the barrowlands a while ago and they made franz look like complete amateurs to this game. 25.

the 1990s were so kings of leon it hurt, but i really enjoyed them as well. all in all, i had a good time, forgot how to use capital letters, paid stupid money for bottles of budweiser and danced to that doo doo doo doo doo song. which was nice.

franz = boring editors = ace the 1990s = kings of leon me = in debt

a fucking ace gig, The 1990s were pretty good, cool songs bit of Bowie in there, good raport with the audience although the singer was the goofiest person i have seen in a long time

Editors, what can I say? Blew me away, always knew they would.

The Franz, oh my fucking god, Alex Kapranos is the ultimate showman. Every band should start like that blasting out two huge songs as loud as hard and as energetic as possible. And playing for an hour and a half, five song encore. my god, three people on one drumkit! I have an entire new level of respect for the boys Ferdinand.... What else can I say?

Guest bluesxman

Editors were awesome and blew FF out of that venue. Franz Ferdinand were truly awful. Singing was dreadful, not one of them could carry a tune, let alone in harmony. I walked out after Take Me Out, they couldn't even make a good show of their biggest song. First time I have ever walked out of a gig. And as for The Rakes binning the gig to do Jools Holland, sell out pricks.

The 1990s were atrocious, they may as well not have bothered with a 3rd band supporting - it was just an annoyance having to stand through that.

Editors were amazing, excellent, great frontman as well. The crowd's reaction to them was great as well and I think they were a bit better than Franz to be honest (I also thought that about arcade fire when they supported franz a couple of months ago).

Franz were good but they're not a brilliant live band to be honest. They'd be brilliant in a small venue but there were plenty of bum notes in there last night. Having said that, they were still very entertaining

Editors? I thought they were dull and disappointing. Aren't they just indie by numbers Coldplay/Travis derivatives. The front man even makes the same moves as Chris Martin. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure you will.

I liked Franz but not the 1990's. I thought the 1990's had the clearest sound of the night though.

Guest DustyDeviada
I'd maybe change that in your profile then' date=' before anyone else notices ;)[/quote']

Ha ha ha!

Owned!

As to the gig, I thought the 1990s were pretty good, although the guy really ought to get his guitar fixed, as the buzzing was really pissing me off.

Interesting to see Alex from FF playing a Les paul, never seen him playing anything other than his Tele before.

i thought the editors were pretty average to be honest, they weren't doing anything exciting or indeed good. franz ferdinand blew them off the stage, down the dual carriageway and over the atlantic. i don't get the not being able to carry a tune comment either, i though alex was in fine fettle last night compared to other times i've seen them playing live on the telly. i certainly didn't notice them being particularly out of tune or rubbish.

franz were full of energy, tight and looked like they were having a great time and they had so many great songs as well. i don't think there's any other bands around who can have so many killer songs after only 2 albums. i don't think they played any filler at all, each song had it's place and the crowd knew the words to most of them as well. the worst moment for me was that walking away song, which i think is lovely but was ruined by some drunk right behind me chanting the words in my ears like a football song. oh well.

for the record i'm not a massive franz fan, but they really exceeded my expectations last night.

also, a fucking hour to get out of that car park. :(

Guest bluesxman
i don't get the not being able to carry a tune comment either' date=' i though alex was in fine fettle last night compared to other times i've seen them playing live on the telly. i certainly didn't notice them being particularly out of tune or rubbish.

[/quote']

Certainly where myself and my good lady were standing we were looking at each other with pained expressions due to the appalling singing. I guess the old differing sounds carrying to different parts of the venue problem was in effect here.

I would agree that Kapranos was singing out of tune a fair bit, but i think it was kind of intentional on certain songs, at least i hope it was. Franz were awesome entertainment but i did find myself bored a bit by the end. I reckon it was because they were drawing out too many of their songs longer than they are on record to have more bits for everyone to clap and sing along to. I wasn't impressed by the encore either, they should have kept it purely singles based in my opinion.

Editors were awesome. I don't think they are a great band but i think they are a great live band, and i was impressed their sound didn't get all tinny and lost in the size of the venue. The extra loud bits which aren't on the recorded versions were great too. I don't see where any comparisons with Coldplay and Travis come from (except for the singers movements). I don't think it was wise for them to have ended with an album track either. Kind of killes the atmosphere a bit.

I didn't really watch the 1990s but they sounded gash.

So,

Franz = good (only very slightly disappointing tho)

Editors = Ace.

1990s = I'll be harsh and say shit.

Guest DustyDeviada

Jesus, if you want to hear great singing, go an see Celine Dion.

This is rock and roll damn it! They were too busy rocking out to be listening to their fucking monitors.