aberdeen-music

Looking For Great Live Bands

Emergenza

Emergenza is looking for great unsigned bands to take part in a major worldwide competition. Gigs held at Carling Academy, London Astoria, Taubertal Festival, Germany.

500K of music equipment up for grabs.

36 bands signed.

150K production deals.

64 cities worldwide.

National / worldwide media exposure.

Endorsement deals.

Opportunity to play packed-out venues and increase your fan base.

Share in ticket sales profits: go home with some money in your back pocket!

Free strings, skins and sticks for early registered bands.

Great opportunity for great bands.

Please visit website for further info. and enrolment - www.emergenza.net

A SONY/EMI scouting event

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you put in your band name a local manager comes to talk to you and then tells you how much your 'enrolement fee' is...ie: how much it costs to pay to play....im interested in doing this just to see how much the scam would cost....

Last year, the enrollment fee was 45, and you get a hundred tickets to sell for the event. After you sell your first fifty, you get to keep a pound from each ticket that you sell. Until you sell ninety-five tickets, you're gonna be out of pocket.

On top of that, unless you're very crowd-pleasing rock, you won't get very far in the competition, as the crowd won't vote for you. (I merely make this remark because I gather Project: Ven-Hell aren't really in the vein of crowd-pleasing rock.) Also, playing early is the kiss of deathno allowance is made for the fact that the first few bands on have vastly fewer audience members to vote for them than the later acts.

Emergenza is looking for great unsigned bands to take part in a major worldwide competition. Gigs held at Carling Academy, University Sites, London Astoria, Taubertal Festival, Germany.

500K of music equipment up for grabs.

36 bands signed.

150K production deals.

64 cities worldwide.

National / worldwide media exposure.

Endorsement deals.

Opportunity to play packed-out venues and increase your fan base.

Share in ticket sales profits: go home with some money in your back pocket!

Free strings, skins and sticks for early registered bands.

Great opportunity for great bands.

Please visit website for further info. and enrolment - www.emergenza.net

A SONY/EMI scouting event

Sony-

I, like many others here, have an incredible live band. But pay-to-play in your showcase? Please don't insult my intelligence or my music by assuming that I'm so desperate that I need an opportunity like this. If you'd like to sit down and talk business as one professional to another, please PM me and I'll invite you to a live show or arrange to send you a copy of my press kit. I've got the CD sales and reviews to back up everything I say.

But pay-to-play? Please......

Guest Neubeatz

Yes, like if I served me time as a foxin' apprentice synth wank, why would I then go and sign up to playzee a foxin' no-talent show........heh, why dont emergenz post this crud on the smash hits site?

• 2 months later...

Hello Aberdeen,

Sorry to hear you don't think much of the Emergenza event. I know this is late but it is the first i have seen this pay to play onslaught. People are entitled to their opinions so here is mine. When I first heard of Emergenza I was not sure what it was all about but my friends band was playing so as ever I went along to The Venue in Edinburgh to support them, as they were mainly based in Glasgow they needed all the support they could get in Edinburgh. With a 30-strong following we didn't think they would get through the 1st round but a gig in The Venue sounded good to me. End of night they walked out in 2nd place with about 80 votes, not band for a weedgie band in Edinburgh! Needless to say what a buzz watching them play to about 1500 in the Carling Academy, they finished 4th overall?( .

Next again year I started working with Emergenza while at college and have now been with them 3yrs. Here are some FACTS about Emergenza (pay to play):

1: Emergenza has a 45 enrolment fee. This is a one-off payment for life, bands can enter thereafter at no other cost. On the 1st gig bands get a set of Ernie Ball strings (bass & guitar) a set of Regal Tip sticks and a Remo skin (that is already more than 45). The fee also puts off time wasters which for serious bands and ourselves is a pain in the ass.

2: Ticket Allocation: Bands are capped at 50 tickets so no one can out-sell other bands. Bands sell 50 and get 50 or can sell 40 and give away 10 for free. In the other rounds the allocation and bands cut goes up. A lot of these gigs are busy and regardless of the politics who wants to play an empty gig? Generally this is a great opportunity to increase your fan base and meet other bands you may not have played with before.

3: What we do: Emergenza runs worldwide trying to find some of the best bands to showcase at the International Final in Germany. Here there is a festival which has 50,000 in attendance with the Emergenza stage in the middle of it so maximum exposure. Along the way there is some great gigs at some of the best venues in the country (not always so easy to get gigs in). At Regional, UK & International Final it is indeed judged by the Music Indutry, last year Scottish Final judges, Andrew Hillcoat (Sony, yes reallly), Alex Downie (NEMIS), Dom Fairbanks (Fairbanks Endorsements), Carl Bathgate (Liverpool Academy). the other rounds are judged by crowd and band votes.

4: After the competition this is the not the end for most bands. Every year we are moving further forward with helping bands gig out of their own city. Through this we put on showcase events, guest spots at other Emergenza events and set up tours. Two good examples of this are last year's Scottish finalists Kobai, they are off this month on a 6 gig tour in Germany. Secrets We've Told (Dundee) were on holiday in New York but called the office to see if we could get them a gig, they played 3 gigs in NY and reports back say they rocked. This year also will see many Emergenza events hosting guest bands from across the UK. The Emergenza website is worldwide and can be used as an excellent media tool for promoting your band and gig swapping as well as getting your music played on the radio show. Track 1 is a record label that solely signs bands that have played with Emergenza. So for a one-off payment of 45 this and more that I dont want to bore you any more with, is'nt really a bad deal.

On a final note, it is a shame that there seems to be so much :swearing: towards Emergenza in Aberdeen as it is a city that we enjoyed working in last year and heard some great bands and hope for the same this year :love:

hot mangu did last year. my band in glasgow are playing one next month. people have real problems with pay to play but we looked over the pro's and con's and decided to go for it. £45 entry fee and selling all 50 tickets gets you £50 so you'rea already in profit. Then they give you some free stuff so it works out alright. I can see people might have a problem, and i'm not big on pay to play either, but if you look at it in context, I've no real reason to grudge it. you just have to get your finger out and sell the tickets!

/x

hot mangu did last year. my band in glasgow are playing one next month. people have real problems with pay to play but we looked over the pro's and con's and decided to go for it. 45 entry fee and selling all 50 tickets gets you 50 so you'rea already in profit. Then they give you some free stuff so it works out alright. I can see people might have a problem' date=' and i'm not big on pay to play either, but if you look at it in context, I've no real reason to grudge it. you just have to get your finger out and sell the tickets!

/x[/quote']

Yeah when i read it seemed like you got some good stuff out of it. Is it FeSTR that are playing?

• 2 weeks later...
says all of what' date=' exactly? a huge amount of the articles on messageboards from those links have positive things to say about emergenza and you've picked one that doesn't!

that says it all really![/quote']

Well, what is there to say? The free stuff is just a gimmick, considering that the likelihood is that they're getting the stuff for next to nothing. There's also the fact that it's about selling tickets, not about talent - fair enough, music works like that in general, but 50 return for selling 50 tickets? Doesn't sound like a great deal, anyone able to bring 50 people to a gig at a local level should be able to command far greater than that.

I have to say one thing. It's a beautiful moneyspinner for the organisers, whoever had the vision to make a worldwide pay to play battle of the bands has my respect for having the guts to not only pull it off, but also making it appear credible.

But at the end of the day, I guess people's judgements get clouded by the size of the carrot.