aberdeen-music

Death Penalty

Stray Cat

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lets bring in the Death Penalty for those that kill Police Officers.

What about the innocent man that the police killed on the London underground? Does that mean they should get the death penalty too for incompetence?

This is wrong and you know it.

To be fair, it was not the officer that shot him that was at fault. It was the pish shoot to kill policy that Ian Blair or whoever enforced. That poor guy was doing what he was told as would anyone else if they were doing their job correctly.

I think it's a joke that they are even talking about having one rule for killing police and different rules if you're a civilian.

If you are willing to take someones life then you should be willing to give yours.

It was a way of life for ancient tribes. The only thing that sucked was that it wasn't nessecarily the killer s life that was taken in return.

well, we are not an ancient tribe living in some jungle. Like someone pasted before, ghandi said that an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, and I think anyone can appreciate the logic behind that statement. Execution is something that should be left behind in the 20th century, while we wait for less civilised nations such as the USA to catch up with modern notions of human rights.

good idea' date=' let's turn him into a martyr[/quote']

In which context?

mar·tyr Pronunciation (märtr)

n.

1. One who chooses to suffer death rather than renounce religious principles.

2. One who makes great sacrifices or suffers much in order to further a belief, cause, or principle.

a. One who endures great suffering: a martyr to arthritis.

b. One who makes a great show of suffering in order to arouse sympathy.

tr.v. mar·tyred, mar·tyr·ing, mar·tyrs

1. To make a martyr of, especially to put to death for devotion to religious beliefs.

2. To inflict great pain on; torment.

[Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin, from Late Greek martur, from Greek martus, martur-, witness.]

Guest tv tanned
In which context?

mar·tyr Pronunciation (märtr)

n.

1. One who chooses to suffer death rather than renounce religious principles.

2. One who makes great sacrifices or suffers much in order to further a belief' date=' cause, or principle.

a. One who endures great suffering: a martyr to arthritis.

b. One who makes a great show of suffering in order to arouse sympathy.

tr.v. mar·tyred, mar·tyr·ing, mar·tyrs

1. To make a martyr of, especially to put to death for devotion to religious beliefs.

2. To inflict great pain on; torment.

[Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin, from Late Greek martur, from Greek martus, martur-, witness.']

In the non-dictionary definitional context of providing a figurehead for insurgents to recruit.

You seem to be under the impression that there are no supporters of Saddam in Iraq, that is incorrect, and there are plenty who would probably take up weapons against the coalition forces and Western states if Saddam was put to death.

In the non-dictionary definitional context of providing a figurehead for insurgents to recruit.

You seem to be under the impression that there are no supporters of Saddam in Iraq' date=' that is incorrect, and there are plenty who would probably take up weapons against the coalition forces and Western states if Saddam was put to death.[/quote']

I didn't say he had no supporters. If that was the case then there would have been no resistance when the war began. But I'm sure the families of the millions of victims would glady watch.

I thought he ws being tried in Iraq by Iraqis?

Guest tv tanned
I didn't say he had no supporters. If that was the case then there would have been no resistance when the war began. But I'm sure the families of the millions of victims would glady watch.

I thought he ws being tried in Iraq by Iraqis?

sandie2.jpg

If there were to be a referendum tomorrow about it I can bet you that the 'people' would overwhelmingly vote to bring back the death penalty. However' date=' when someone was wrongly accused / killed it would be the same people that would try to abolish it.[/quote']

That is why I believe that it would have to be rock solid. There's no way you could setence someone to death on a jury decision of 7-5.

Guest tv tanned
That is why I believe that it would have to be rock solid. There's no way you could setence someone to death on a jury decision of 7-5.

Are you suggesting that a unanimous jury decision is "rock solid"?

There are plenty of examples throughout legal history which would suggest otherwise.

Even a supposed confession is by no means a guarantee of guilt.

At the end of the day, why take the risk for the sake of an act which is little more than vengeance.

Does killing the perpetrator bring back the life of the person they killed?

Guest tv tanned
No what I mean' date=' without sounding repetitive, is that it should only be an option in cases where DNA or CCTV or something else proves there is absolutely no doubt that the person is guilty.[/quote']

CCTV and DNA can help persuade a jury that a person killed another person, but murder is a premeditated crime, and you need more than CCTV footage or DNA evidence to prove the intent.

I'm pretty sure If I knew that I would either be killed or maimed for commiting a crime' date=' I would stay right clear of doing that! although 100% proof without a doubt would be needed so people aren't going around with body bits missing.

I'm sure if they did something like this we would all be 'armless :laughing:[/quote']

Dunno about that but I'm always legless and it doesn't stop me being an arsehole :D