aberdeen-music

Death Penalty

Stray Cat

Just watching the lunchtime news on ITV and there talking about whether or not they should bring back the death penalty for those who kill police officers. Why should it be any different from killing civilians?

As for all police being armed, I think that the shooting of the poor innocent Brazilian guy on the London underground proves that mistakes can be made.

What are you views?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

surely we're better than that? mistakes will be made if capital punishment is brought back. don't arm all the police and don't make rash decisions by bringing back the death penalty.

britains system works pretty well with deaths of police and caused by police being much lower than other countrys. we shouldn't change a working system just because of a number of tragic mistakes. i'm all for increased jail terms for violent crime and the like but putting people to death makes us no better than those committing the crime in the first place.

surely we're better than that? mistakes will be made if capital punishment is brought back. don't arm all the police and don't make rash decisions by bringing back the death penalty.

britains system works pretty well with deaths of police and caused by police being much lower than other countrys. we shouldn't change a working system just because of a number of tragic mistakes. i'm all for increased jail terms for violent crime and the like but putting people to death makes us no better than those committing the crime in the first place.

True. But maybe people would think again if they thought they would be executed. I think thats the idea anyway.

Isn't that the way they operate in countries like Singapore? If you get caught stealing you get a finger cut off...

I think if someone's going to kill then the threat of the death penalty wont stop them - you have to be pretty fucked up to commit murder.

Don't believe that one life for another is ever a sensible way of dealing with crime - no matter how heinous. Life imprisonment should mean just that. For the duration of the perpetrator's natural life, and somewhat more basic than a lot of prisons are nowadays. No mod-cons (bad choice of word), entertainment etc - just a very long time to reflect on their wrong-doings. And leave out the counselling - save that for those who have a chance of getting out again.

The Death Penatly is a difficult subject. Watching Paradise Lost certainly had an influence on my views. Some people deserve to be punished but I am unsure of wether that is the way to do it...even if you have all the proof in the world.

It certainly makes me uncomfortable to think of the subject and I wouldn't like to have the blood of another on my hands. Especially if the person were later aquited for the crime.

That program on BBC where the guy set up his own country was interesting. He went to a Death Row. It was so sterile/clinical and the whole idea behind it/the way in which it is carried out makes me very uncomortable. He went into the room where they give lethal injections and you could see how much he wanted to leave...at which point he did.

As for arming all the Police I don't think that would be a good idea. We already have a lot of armed police in this country as it is...it just so happens you don't see/know they are armed or you only see them in certain place i.e airports.

Civilisation came from the "eye for an eye" mentality. Where if someone killed then someone elses life had to be taken. I believe all murders should carry the death penalty' date=' not just cop murders.[/quote']

Why is it ok for the state to murder someone, but not for an individual to murder someone? There is no difference between the two. The death penalty is simply uncivilised and barbaric.

Guest tv tanned
True. But maybe people would think again if they thought they would be executed. I think thats the idea anyway.

So why has murder as a crime not been eradicated in the U.S. states which use the death penalty?

A flaw in your logic there methinks

So why has murder as a crime not been eradicated in the U.S. states which use the death penalty?

A flaw in your logic there methinks

Simply because they are on death row for years. To me thats more a case of keep him in jail as long as we can then kill him when we need more room. If murder is proved by DNA or cctv then the murderer should suffer the same fate of his/her victim. After all, life isn't life in this country so how do you know that when they get out they won't do it again?