aberdeen-music

Very basic computer question

GraemeC

I think i'm just being a bit thick but, I have a new puter and the keyboard (usb) thinks its American, i've done the logical stuff like check the regional options and the keyboard settings in "my computer" but it still doesnt believe its in the uk.

What stupidly basic thing am I missing?

You can try forcing it through the registry.

Hit start, select RUN type REGEDIT and hit ok. Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER then expand Keyboard Layout and then select Preload. You should have two strings. A blank default one, and one called "1" with a value, the value for UK should be set to 00000809. If its set to 00000409 that explains the problem (as thats the US setting) if its already 809....fucked if I know :D

I can't remember exactly (I'm on a Uni computer and have no access to Control Panel) but go to the languages section. Under one of the tabs it'll have the language pack you are using (the active one will be in bold). Select the UK one and apply, you can also delete the American one (to spite them for assuming you want to use it).

I don't know why this changes what the keyboard inputs but it certainly did on my home computer.

Edit: I've found it!

In Control Panel under Regional and Language Options go to the Languages tab and in the Text services and input languages click Details. In the Installed Services make sure you're using the EN or United Kingdom one.

I over looked this far too many times to forget.

I can't remember exactly (I'm on a Uni computer and have no access to Control Panel) but go to the languages section. Under one of the tabs it'll have the language pack you are using (the active one will be in bold). Select the UK one and apply' date=' you can also delete the American one (to spite them for assuming you want to use it).

I don't know why this changes what the keyboard inputs but it certainly did on my home computer.

[b']Edit: I've found it!

In Control Panel under Regional and Language Options go to the Languages tab and in the Text services and input languages click Details. In the Installed Services make sure you're using the EN or United Kingdom one.

I over looked this far too many times to forget.

...thanks...@@@@@@@@@...that'll be a beer i'm owe you...@@@@@@ woopee!!!!!

G...