aberdeen-music

Link Wray R.I.P...

Louiecypher

* Guitarist Link Wray, considered one of the the pioneers of US Rock n Roll in the 1950's, and a cult figure, passed away at 76 years of age, in Copenhagen, where he had lived the past two decades, according to todays newspaper "Politiken."

His powerful guitar riffs earned him the nickname "Godfather of the Power Cord" and the respect of several generations of musicians who followed his legacy, though he never recieved the level of recognition of contemporaries like Gene Vincent or Elvis Presley.* . . .

This happened on Saturday I think...

Word is that he died on the 5th November of heart failure and was interred on the 17th. Word has been slow in spreading, at least in English, perhaps due to the fact that he's been living in Copenhagen for the last 20 years?

Los Caballeros will be dropping a few more Link Wray covers than usual into our set on 5th December at Drummonds. Check it out if loud guitar & big drum surf/instrumental is your sort of thing. Full details to be posted later.

Guest bluesxman
A real shame.

Was Rumble in Pulp Fiction (but not the soundtrack album) or did I make that up?

It was, it's on the reissued CD I think.

Jack The Ripper was used in Desperado during the bit where Steve Buscemi describes the bar massacre.

The Cramps ripped off a Link Wray song wholesale for Sunglasses After Dark, think it's Ace Of Spades, there are two Link tunes that sound very similar.

I used to own a live video of him playing a gig in London somewhere, he broke a string and the roadie had to replace it while Link was still playing his guitar, cool. Unfortunately the guy playing bass for him annoyed me so much I sold the video on, ah well. Will need to dig out my Link CD for a little tribute tonight....

The Cramps ripped off a Link Wray song wholesale for Sunglasses After Dark' date=' think it's Ace Of Spades, there are two Link tunes that sound very similar.

[/quote']

It was Fat Back, but it does sound very similar to Ace Of Spades. There's also a song called Sunglasses After Dark by Dwight Pullen from 1958 that has very similar lyrics to the Cramps' Sunglasses After Dark, so it seems to be kind of a fusion of the two songs...

Guest bluesxman
It was Fat Back' date=' but it does sound very similar to Ace Of Spades. There's also a song called Sunglasses After Dark by Dwight Pullen from 1958 that has very similar lyrics to the Cramps' Sunglasses After Dark, so it seems to be kind of a fusion of the two songs...[/quote']

Yeah, I just knew i'd pick the wrong one without the CD to hand....in my younger days when I couldn't afford to buy much music I remember those Songs We Taught The Cramps compilations you used to get in One Up with all the old songs The Cramps borrowed from and covered - of course you can't seem to get them anymore....

Yeah' date=' I just knew i'd pick the wrong one without the CD to hand....in my younger days when I couldn't afford to buy much music I remember those Songs We Taught The Cramps compilations you used to get in One Up with all the old songs The Cramps borrowed from and covered - of course you can't seem to get them anymore....[/quote']

Yeah, those sorts of compilations are excellent. I've seen 'Songs We Taught...' compilations for the Fuzztones, the Mummies and the Oblivians, good way of getting hold of a lot of high quality unusual tracks in one package that would otherwise be hard to track down.

The 'Songs We Taught The Cramps' comp is on the Moorings jukebox, or at least was until recently...

Guest bluesxman
Yeah' date=' those sorts of compilations are excellent. I've seen 'Songs We Taught...' compilations for the Fuzztones, the Mummies and the Oblivians, good way of getting hold of a lot of high quality unusual tracks in one package that would otherwise be hard to track down.

The 'Songs We Taught The Cramps' comp is on the Moorings jukebox, or at least was until recently...[/quote']

Then I really should get the finger out and visit this establishment....

Yeah' date=' those sorts of compilations are excellent. I've seen 'Songs We Taught...' compilations for the Fuzztones, the Mummies and the Oblivians, good way of getting hold of a lot of high quality unusual tracks in one package that would otherwise be hard to track down.

[/quote']

Are The Oblivians any cop? Only manged to download a couple tunes ages ago.