aberdeen-music

Suggestions needed!

Marillionboy

Hey folks,

Throwing this one out to anyone who's feeling helpful.

I'm needing suggestions for the opening music for the production of my play about Aberdeen that's being staged in London at the Royal Court:

http://www.royalcourttheatre.com/whatson01.asp?play=420

What I'm trying to find is something Scottish. Initially in the script the music was early Cure (So What, Three Imaginary Boys etc) as I couldn't think of a decent Scottish punk or new wave band, but I would ideally like something more contemporary. It does not have to be at all wel known.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I want avoid the Placebo option, as I find it hard to take them seriously.

Sensible suggestions please, would be HUGELY appreciated!!!

Guest DustyDeviada

Do Orange Juice count as New Wave? How about early Simple Minds, something like New Gold Dream. That's an ace track.

If you are after something newer... um, I dunno, I like old music. ;)

If you wanted somebody to write something, it would be appropriate to ask The Kitchen Cynics.

The Cocteau Twins

The Skids

Rezillos

Orange Juice

Josef K

The Fire Engines

Mogwai

APB/The Squibs/The Presidents Men for local interest

...shall I go on?

The most contemporary...The Cauld Blast Orchestra (I always thought they would make great film music, no reason why it couldn't be Theatre, it's where they started after all)

WHY were Placebo an option?

Guest DustyDeviada
No Simple Minds though' date=' too dad-rock (no offence).[/quote']

A typical reaction, and perhaps justified in light of their later work in the stadium era, but their early stuff is very different indeed, not dad-rock or indeed any type of rock for that matter.

Hey folks' date='

Throwing this one out to anyone who's feeling helpful.

I'm needing suggestions for the opening music for the production of my play about Aberdeen that's being staged in London at the Royal Court:

[url']http://www.royalcourttheatre.com/whatson01.asp?play=420

What I'm trying to find is something Scottish. Initially in the script the music was early Cure (So What, Three Imaginary Boys etc) as I couldn't think of a decent Scottish punk or new wave band, but I would ideally like something more contemporary. It does not have to be at all wel known.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I want avoid the Placebo option, as I find it hard to take them seriously.

Sensible suggestions please, would be HUGELY appreciated!!!

anything but phill collins

That's scary, I was just about to suggest a Stroszek track...perhaps they could even write a track specifically for it, seeing as they've got the sound nailed?

We would be happy to help. We are going to be recording some of our new material soon as I think we have written better songs since 'No More exclusives'. It was actually the first song we ever wrote and recorded. That was about six months ago and we havent managed to get any more proper recordings done since. Like i said, happy to help though.