aberdeen-music

Vote Moorings!

Flash@TMB

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't you be up for "Best Harbour Pirate bar with a hole cut out in the wall being fobbed off as a stage that houses clueless twats in bandannas that constantly annoy the shit out of bands by climbing on the stage and fucking around with settings that he couldn't know less about" award?

The poison troll swims with the fishes...

concreteshoes.jpg

EDIT: Unfortunately I couldn't find a cartoon featuring someone more camp looking. But it will be funny seeing his little limp wrists desperately flailing against the murky waters of Aberdeen harbour as they struggle to keep his puny body afloat.

Shouldn't you be up for "Best Harbour Pirate bar with a hole cut out in the wall being fobbed off as a stage that houses clueless twats in bandannas that constantly annoy the shit out of bands by climbing on the stage and fucking around with settings that he couldn't know less about" award?

i have to say that the sound has been far better recently

i suppose its a "if you dont like it, dont bother" moment

if you are going to slag off the moorings at least make it funny :)

The poison troll swims with the fishes...

concreteshoes.jpg

EDIT: Unfortunately I couldn't find a cartoon featuring someone more camp looking. But it will be funny seeing his little limp wrists desperately flailing against the murky waters of Aberdeen harbour as they struggle to keep his puny body afloat.

Come to think of it, the guy on the far left bears a fairly good resemblence, just lacks the emo haircut. But back on topic though, and the consensus is that Aberdeen could do with one less mincer of a frontman poncing around on the stage. Mine, mince, mince... sploosh gurgle!

Oh come on, surely thats not a real award. Awfully silly of them to have such a long name for it too. How'd you think they fit that on the trophy?

The sound at moorings is the best although can have some off days.

Ironically' date=' I find it much better than Moshulu which is a more established venue.[/quote']

Ever been to Moshulu when they hire in the decent PA? The sound is immense, so it's not really Moshulu's fault, but rather they don't have an amazing PA.

I'm not a fan of The Tunnels, simply because the sound is too fucking loud most of the time.

And of course, The Moorings must be the only place where you can stand practically next to the speaker and not walk away with your ears ringing - which is a good thing :D

And of course' date=' The Moorings must be the only place where you can stand practically next to the speaker and not walk away with your ears ringing - which is a good thing :D[/quote']

Ringing ears is a factor of distorted sound not excessive volume. If the sound is of high fidelity then it won't hurt or damage your hearing until you start to reach exceptionally high volumes. It's also possible to 'talk through' good sound. Contrary to popular misconception The Moorings typically runs higher volumes than elsewhere. The sound pressure meter bears witness to this.

http://www.funktion-one.com/prosound_distortion.htm

http://www.funktion-one.com/mondo_distortion.htm

i think the moorings pisses over most places in aberdeen when it comes to sound' date=' although some of the places have gotten much better, is the tunnels and drummonds.

hmm the sounds at drummonds gets better after ian has left..........funny that....... :D[/quote']

I suspect that is because Drummonds has upgraded their PA.

Ian did the sound for us one Saturday last summer when Mark was away, and he did a good job... especially when you take into account that this was his first time using our system.

By a country mile it's the Moorings: not so much a venue, more a way of life.

The last time I was in there we saw a guy who just seemed to be making strange noises for half an hour (Flash who was that again?) and even though it was shit the drinks atmosphere and chat made up for it until a decent band came on.

The Lemon Tree would always be bottom for me, like seeing a band in someone's living room. Yuppy dump with no atmosphere. I do really like The Tunnels though.

Hang on, there's only one 'clueless twat in a bandana' that climbs onto the stage in that bar. The rest of us are just clueless twats.