aberdeen-music

Looking for a gig?

MaltMillMusic

The Malt Mill is one of Aberdeen's oldest and best known live music venues As such we are constantly looking for new and upcoming bands to freshen up our listings.

If your band are looking for a venue then please contact Graham or Fraser on 01224 573830 or email maltmillgigs@hotmail.co.uk for more details.

Student bands are particularly welcome

Guest lime ruined my life

The Malt Mill is one of Aberdeen's oldest and best known live music venues As such we are constantly looking for new and upcoming bands to freshen up our listings.

If your band are looking for a venue then please contact Graham or Fraser on 01224 573830 or email maltmillgigs@hotmail.co.uk for more details.

Student bands are particularly welcome

don't you need to do two 1 hour sets at the malt mill?

Guest DustyDeviada

You need to fill 2 hours.

When Element played with us there we had 4 bands doing 30 minute sets (in fact I think it may have even been five due to a mix up). It was the infamous Element vs. Stayover night!

Guest DustyDeviada

I think it depends what night you play.

They used to pay us 80 for 2 hours on a Saturday but I think you can get more on a Friday & Saturday and you can bring lots of punters.

I think it depends what night you play.

They used to pay us 80 for 2 hours on a Saturday but I think you can get more on a Friday & Saturday and you can bring lots of punters.

80 for 2 hours work on a sat................haha

im not trying to sound like a complete twat but we got 72 for half an hours work on the sat just passed for half an hours work, doesnt really seem like a good price when you hear that does it?

Guest DustyDeviada

Sorry my mistake I meant 80 for 2 hours on a Sunday, you get more for Friday and Saturday.

But then I'm not in it for the money, I'm in it for the music, man. :gringo:

In all seriousness, that Stayover vs. Element gig was a great night, there was those two bands, The Deviadas, Claire hamilton and somebody else I can't remember.

It was free entry, packed out, everyone had a good time.

The bands only got 16 each, but it was still a good gig.

Sorry my mistake I meant 80 for 2 hours on a Sunday' date=' you get more for Friday and Saturday.

In all seriousness, that Stayover vs. Element gig was a great night, there was those two bands, The Deviadas, Claire hamilton and somebody else I can't remember.

The bands only got 16 each, but it was still a good gig.[/quote']

true and to be honest im not really sure what my point is lol.

That was an awesome gig, really busy and there was a great atmosphere!

i was actually meaning for my other band when i ment money wise and we are a cover band so when we play we do get more money than normal, but thats just the way things work i guess, different kinda scene.

sorry to piss on a parade...but my mates had an experience where by they were assured they could play (they are under 18) and when they got there they almost were not allowed to play, were not paid (even after brining a good number of over 18's into the venue) and all their fans had to walk about down in the pissing rain.

I hope this policy isn't on going.

Answering your questions

First of all, all punters must be over 18, unfortunately due to licensing laws under-18s are only allowed in certain areas of the bar if: 1. they are having food, 2. they are accompanied by responsible adults(?!), 3. they remain within a designated area of the pub away from the bar.

We are, however, allowed to have under-18 musicians in, as long as they remain within sight of the bar at all times but do not approach the bar and, obviously, don't start bevvying!!

As for length of the sets. We prefer that bands start at approx. 9.30pm on sundays and thursdays closing at midnight, and at approx 10.15pm on fridays and saturdays, closing at 1am. However, this is negotiable with the bands and it is up to yourselves whether there are support bands and if, when and for how long you take breaks.

In terms of payment for your services, we do not discuss publicly the fee that bands recieve. I can however tell you that bands on fridays and saturdays will certainly not recieve as little as 80 pound. For new bands we like to take them in on a thursday or sunday, for student or younger bands usually thursday as this is our student night. For first gigs we prefer to arrange a lower guaranteed fee with the rest negotiable depending on the amount of customers you attract and money through our till. This is simply to protect ourselves from losing any money in case you're gash!! (kidding) After that, if you are good and bring in a decent crowd then fees for subsequent gigs are negotiated individually with the band, there are no set fees for particular nights.

Think that was everything that needed covered. If there's anything else feel free to phone on 01224 573830, email maltmillgigs@hotmail.co.uk or just come in by the bar.

Cheers, and hope to see you all soon

Fraser

Sorry my mistake I meant 80 for 2 hours on a Sunday' date=' you get more for Friday and Saturday.

The bands only got 16 each, but it was still a good gig.[/quote']

It was good fun, perhaps a Part 2 version? BK too :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ben. That band with the torrid experience would have been us. Under 18's allowed with an adult? My arse, none of our mates, with our without parents, were allowed in. And what's this about under 18's musicians allowed in if they do not drink etc? You guys did your best to chuck us out, had it not been for our good friend Chris - from Marble George, that night - and our 20 year old guitarist you guys would have had us out on our arses. After that shocking show, we shall not be rushing back there.