aberdeen-music

New Jeff Walker stuff (Carcass)

medichi

Er, bit odd and I'm not sure how it'll sound:

Carcass solo stuff

16 Nov 2005 Jeff Walker releases solo blues/country metal album

Carcass bassist/vocalist Jeff Walker's solo album will be released on Fractured Transmitter Records by March next year.

The album consists of country and blues covers from artists like Johnny Cash, Hank Williams and John Denver in a metal style.

The album is to be called 'Welcome to Carcass Cuntry'.

It'll probably be a bit shit. Did you ever hear any black star? (his post carcass band)

Yeah, a few tracks YEARS ago. Bit pish.

I'm not a twin-guitar-whore like yersel' Dan, but I see your point - I'm not into the grindier stuff either, but Jeff Walker has the greatest Melodic Death Metal voice ever in my opinion. Many a sore throat has been induced by attempting to emulate in the car....

Yeah' date=' a few tracks YEARS ago. Bit pish.

I'm not a twin-guitar-whore like yersel' Dan, but I see your point - I'm not into the grindier stuff either, but Jeff Walker has the greatest Melodic Death Metal voice ever in my opinion. Many a sore throat has been induced by attempting to emulate in the car....[/quote']

Although I do love twin guitars, that wasn't actually my reason that I like the ammott era Carcass the best.

Swansong (which had Carlos Regadas instead of Ammott) just didn't quite have that x-factor that Heartwork did. It still had "guitarmonies" and solos, and I still really like 2 thirds of it - but I think losing that thrash/death/evilness to it made it also weaker. It sounds like Jeff Walker singing over megadeth meets COC to me! (not the worst combination ever)

Carcass (like Death) to me are an interesting band. In as much that I cite them both as being 2 of my favourite bands, and I own every one of their albums (except both band's debuts). Yet if I think about them properly they both only have one album that I truly, truly worship ('Heartwork' and 'Symbolic', respectively). Both albums were life changing to me!

To me their Careers are almost indentical if you look at their album releases side by side:

CARCASS - 'Reek Of Putrefaction' ==> DEATH - 'Scream Bloody Gore' (late 80's)

Both band's debut. Both changed the face of extreme metal. Both have the worst production ever and I think they're shit. All the elite death metallers now hate me, as they think those are the best two.

CARCASS - 'Symphonies Of Sickness' ==> DEATH - 'Leprosy' (later 80's/early 90's)

Both second efforts along pretty much the same line, slightly better (but still shit) production. The same juvenile lyrical content yet a bit of develoment from both bands. The elite death metallers second favourite album. :D

CARCASS - 'Necroticism'==> DEATH - 'Spiritual Healing'/'Human'/'Indiviual Thought Patterns' (early 90's)

Ok so Death managed an extra two albums, yet all three of theirs in this period were pretty similar. Both bands develop greatly better lyrical contents (Death especially), better musicianship and better (but still pretty lame) production. Both bands write some memorable songs, yet neither band's albums were perfect.

CARCASS - 'Heartwork'==> DEATH - 'Symbolic' (mid 90's)

Both bands decided to write unbelievably good albums - best in the genre. Death Metal 'black albums', so to speak - but this also means elitists think they've sold out/gone shit. Everyone else into general metal goes, "well done you're brilliant". Lyrics matured massively (especially Carcass), production and musicianship is fantastic on both, and EVERY song is memorable/excellent.

CARCASS - 'Swansong'==> DEATH - 'Sound Of Perseverance'(mid - late 90's)

Both bands shake off the extremity, and release simply put, 'metal' albums. Production pretty sharp on both, and both albums have some decent songs - however neither have that magical factor contained on the previous album.

Goddamn I wish I could have written my dissertation on death metal rather than fucking airports.

Your an elitest bawbag emo shite hahahahaha

joke like.

Now you know for fact Rune is going to see this dissertation and go tits up about it right?

only thing i can have a moan about it the last about comparing Swansong with Sound Of Perseverance

Oh dear oppinion time

Sound of Perseverance really pushed the boundaries i felt for the technical aspect in Metal and gave the heavy bands of that time a run for their money.

besides Carcass are corporate whores yark yark

Your an elitest bawbag emo shite hahahahaha

joke like.

Now you know for fact Rune is going to see this dissertation and go tits up about it right?

only thing i can have a moan about it the last about comparing Swansong with Sound Of Perseverance

Oh dear oppinion time

Sound of Perseverance really pushed the boundaries i felt for the technical aspect in Metal and gave the heavy bands of that time a run for their money.

besides Carcass are corporate whores yark yark

haha, yeah I actually agree - sound of perseverance is awesome! But if I had have said that my analysis wouldn't have been as good... ;)

Pre Emptive Strike !!!

BOTH OF YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP !!!!

glad that is out my system.

I would rather have myself a Carcas best off with majority stuff from Necrotiscim / Symphonies / Wake Up and Smell The ..... Carcass

My honest oppinion on Heartwork is that it does haves its good moments but also its equal bad moments but every band that hits a high note will always majority of the time slide down from the high note.

I CAN SMELL THE REEK .... OF PUTRAFACTION !!!!!!!

Corporal Jigsore Quandray - Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious.

its not a bad album but i think you'd like heartwork more to be honest (just don't tell Jake you listened to it) :cheers:

This man is absolutely correct' date=' as per usual :)

Heartwork is a pile of toss, Reek Of Putrefaction is the horse's nuts.

This album will probably be excrement.....

that statement is so comedic that I'm not sure if Scorge is being serious. But say someone who was definitely being serious said this, I would have said:

See this is exactly the sort of people I was on about when referring to 'elitist death metallers'. I mean if someone was at least actually into carcass in 1988 and stuck around for heartwork to be released then I can almost understand it. However, the fact remains that although groundbreaking, there is nothing enjoyable about reek of putrecfaction except the carcass logo and the t-shirts they brought out in that era.

Heartwork however is full of incredibly well crafted death metal songs that have an awesome melodic feel due to the great solos and harmonies. Anyone who listens to both Iron maiden AND death metal - and says that 'Reek...' is better than 'Heartwork' is either failing heavily in trying to be cool, or just plain lying. (not referring directly to you here Scorge)

I am usually very diplomatic when it comes to music, as I realise how subjective it is... however I honestly cannot understand AT ALL how anyone can actually like 'Reek...' more than 'Heartwork...'

I would like to publicly declare that the post two up* from this is a bag of shite.

snigger.

*now three up

<exits thread>

hahahaha - you've exited the thread which means you can't come back! :D

This is like a game.

Generally, Death beats Carcass

The recent Jeff Walker appearance on This Is Menace was actually one of the highlights of an otherwise disappointing effort. UK metal at it's most average! Roadrunner All Stars was much better but I digress..

I'd rate Necroticism over anything else Carcass have done, I bought it at the same time as Death - Human, and while Human is more to the point, Necro.. does a lot deeper. There must be about a hundred seperate riffs (at least!), and there much more complex layering. Old chuckie just played fifths all the time, bless him (messily done 'tribute' intrumental from me at http://www.eutioa.co.uk/ !).

Cynic (a few of whom played on 'Human'), now there's a band - for the uninitiated, download Cynic - Focus, then pick up that guitar and try playing along to Veil of Maya. You'll then put it back down while you pick you jaw up off the floor.

While I'm getting nostalgic, Alex Sklonick's 'Transformation' album is good for when you get tired of singers that are mad at their dad.

The recent Jeff Walker appearance on This Is Menace was actually one of the highlights of an otherwise disappointing effort. UK metal at it's most average! Roadrunner All Stars was much better but I digress..

I'd rate Necroticism over anything else Carcass have done' date=' I bought it at the same time as Death - Human, and while Human is more to the point, Necro.. does a lot deeper. There must be about a hundred seperate riffs (at least!), and there much more complex layering. Old chuckie just played fifths all the time, bless him (messily done 'tribute' intrumental from me at [url']http://www.eutioa.co.uk/ !).

Cynic (a few of whom played on 'Human'), now there's a band - for the uninitiated, download Cynic - Focus, then pick up that guitar and try playing along to Veil of Maya. You'll then put it back down while you pick you jaw up off the floor.

While I'm getting nostalgic, Alex Sklonick's 'Transformation' album is good for when you get tired of singers that are mad at their dad.

Focus will set you back quite a bit... think you can only get it on import. i nearly bought it last time I went to london but it was 20!

Atheist as well... there's a band to check out! :)

Focus will set you back quite a bit... think you can only get it on import. i nearly bought it last time I went to london but it was 20!

Atheist as well... there's a band to check out! :)

Hmm' date=' never really got into Atheist - Piece Of Time was it?

With regarding to getting it on import, they're well past caring about a trickle of royalties - Paul Masvidal is busy doing some french Jazz/Pop thing. His manager actually used to manage Death - they posted their gigs on Soundshed.com a while back.

[url']www.shareaza.com is ad-free software which you can use to sample all sorts of fine unsigned and hard to get music before you decide to pay for it. I think defunct artists/labels should consider relicensing their old albums so that people can freely download them, after all - very few are going to pay for Nuclear Assaults 'Critical Mass' but a few would download it for old times sake. And in the case of cynic it would open a few eyes to how varied music can actually be.

Argh! Heres a sample - sweet weeping CHRIST' date=' not what I was expecting.....

[url']http://www.fracturedtransmitter.com/media/Jeff_Walker-You%27re_Still_On_My_mind.mp3

I really don't know what to make of this......

Hmm, unusual.. It's a punk style country cover thing about breaking bottles over peoples heads etc. could work if you were going for a shane mcgowan vs greenday thing, unfortunately the guitars are only turned up to 7.2 so they'll never get far...

See this is exactly the sort of people I was on about when referring to 'elitist death metallers'. I mean if someone was at least actually into carcass in 1988 and stuck around for heartwork to be released then I can almost understand it. However' date=' the fact remains that although groundbreaking, there is nothing enjoyable about reek of putrecfaction except the carcass logo and the t-shirts they brought out in that era.

Heartwork however is full of incredibly well crafted death metal songs that have an awesome melodic feel due to the great solos and harmonies. Anyone who listens to both Iron maiden AND death metal - and says that 'Reek...' is better than 'Heartwork' is either failing heavily in trying to be cool, or just plain lying. (not referring directly to you here Scorge)

I am usually very diplomatic when it comes to music, as I realise how subjective it is... however I honestly cannot understand AT ALL how anyone can actually like 'Reek...' more than 'Heartwork...'[/quote']

There's nothing inately elitist about prefering chaotic, noisy as fuck recordings over clean(er) production, "well crafted" songs and harmonies. I'm not a big fan of the melodic death sound, pretty soulless. Sometimes works for me, but not often. It's a bit like watching old italian horror flicks - all about the atmosphere, the plot is totally secondary.

I like 'Symphonies" most. Better riffs than "Reek" but with all the darkness and noise.

There's nothing inately elitist about prefering chaotic' date=' noisy as fuck recordings over clean(er) production, "well crafted" songs and harmonies. [/quote']

Sorry - I didn't quite mean what I said as directly as that. If you prefer earlier grind-ier stuff then fair enough. It's just in my experience, the people that say they prefer (stuff like) reek over heartwork, are the sort of people who either; ONLY listen to one style of music, and are very narrow-minded about it* (in this case grind), OR are the sort of people who want to always appear really cool/underground/hardcore so they say/pretend that they only like the first release of certain bands and stuff. (These are the 'elitist' people I refer to... not any person who just so happens to like reek over heartwork :) )

So many kids who used to like oasis, then Nu-metal now think they are so ace and underground cos they only like Pig Destroyer, and can't admit they used to worship Limp Bizkit.

*its the same with other genres of music too... the people who ONLY listen to power metal/straight edge HXC/indie etc etc