aberdeen-music

Top ten singles of the century so far...

Larsen B

Forgot about these two' date=' both brilliant.

Did anyone see Kanye West at Abbey Road with the female orchestra last night on C4, it was fantastic, showed some good rehearsal footage of him planning out all the songs and arrangements aswell.[/quote']

Fuck i can't believe i forgot about Maps too, gonna have to edit.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluesxman

Random songs that come to mind that I really like from this period and think were all singles (don't buy singles often and don't pay too much attention really), pish and tish to top ten lists -

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Nature Boy/There She Goes (My Beautiful World)

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Interpol - Slow Hands/Evil

Cooper Temple Clause - Who Needs Enemies?

Kings Of Leon - Molly's Chambers/Four Kicks

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Love Burns

Goldfrapp - Strict Machine/Twist

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Sweet and Sour

Oasis - Importance Of Being Idle (best song they've done in years)

Editors - Munich

Low - Canada

Coldplay - The Scientist

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Date With The Night/Maps

Queens Of The Stone Age - Go With The Flow/No-One Knows/Little Sister

Desert Sessions featuring PJ Harvey - Crawl Home

Ian Brown - F.E.A.R

Kelis - Milkshake

Nirvana - You Know You're Right (was this acually a single?)

Franz Ferdinand - Matinee

The Killers - All These Things That I Have Done

The Libertines - Can't Stand Me Now

Thinking about this kept me up last night (as it does everynight, really), and in the shower this morning I too remembered Maps, and it all fell into place:-

1, Apply Some Pressure - Maximo Park

2, Bandages - Hot Hot Heat

3, No Good Advice - Girls Aloud

4, Bohemian Like You - The Dandy Warhols

5, The Shy Retirer - Arab Strap

6, Do You Want To - Franz Ferdinand (I can't help but feel this is the high watermark of pop)

7, Float On - Modest Mouse

8, Somebody Told Me - The Killers

9, Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

10, Toxic - Britney Spears (likely to be omitted when I can think of something equally as great that some scallies in a garage came up with, rather than a group of professional songwriting boffins)

The resemblance to Larsen B's list is a result of great minds thinking alike, rather than conferring

1. beyonce - crazy in love (possibly the greatest single of all time)

2. outkast - hey ya

3. kelis - milkshake

4. arctic monkeys - i bet that you look good on the dancefloor

5. gwen stefani - what you waiting for

6. johnny cash - hurt

7. coldplay - the scientist (me and my friends once put this on 5 times in a row in the pub' date=' surely the sign of a good song)

8. yeah yeah yeahs - maps

9. qotsa - no one knows

10. the futureheads - decent days and nights

11. interpol - slow hands

i was gonna edit interpol into the top ten(which is in no particular order) but then couldn't be bothered so it's a top 11.[/quote']

that's a good top 11

Random songs that come to mind that I really like from this period and think were all singles (don't buy singles often and don't pay too much attention really)' date=' pish and tish to top ten lists -

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Nature Boy/There She Goes (My Beautiful World)

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Interpol - Slow Hands/Evil

Cooper Temple Clause - Who Needs Enemies?

Kings Of Leon - Molly's Chambers/Four Kicks

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Love Burns

Goldfrapp - Strict Machine/Twist

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Sweet and Sour

Oasis - Importance Of Being Idle (best song they've done in years)

Editors - Munich

Low - Canada

Coldplay - The Scientist

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Date With The Night/Maps

Queens Of The Stone Age - Go With The Flow/No-One Knows/Little Sister

Desert Sessions featuring PJ Harvey - Crawl Home

Ian Brown - F.E.A.R

Kelis - Milkshake

Nirvana - You Know You're Right (was this acually a single?)

Franz Ferdinand - Matinee

The Killers - All These Things That I Have Done

The Libertines - Can't Stand Me Now[/quote']

I've kind of forgotten about the Coopers, i would consider Panzer Attack though.

Guest bluesxman
I've kind of forgotten about the Coopers' date=' i would consider Panzer Attack though.[/quote']

Well I bought that first album on the strength of Who Needs Enemies and found nothing better on it. I remember the first time I heard it on the radio, I thought Oasis had just made a cracking comeback single....Is their second album any good?

1. Don't Look Back Into The Sun - The Libertines

2. Dreaming Of You - The Coral

3. The People - The Music

4. Black And White Town - Doves

5. Impossible - The Charlatans

6. The Importance Of Being Idle - Oasis

7. F.E.A.R. - Ian Brown

8. C'mere - Interpol

9. Whatever Happened To My Rock 'N' Roll - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

10. Remember Me - British Sea Power

I would agreee with most of these, but if ur talkin poppy tunes what about the Scissor Sisters? Comfortably Numb aside, the singles from the first album were all pretty catchy.

Well I bought that first album on the strength of Who Needs Enemies and found nothing better on it. I remember the first time I heard it on the radio' date=' I thought Oasis had just made a cracking comeback single....Is their second album any good?[/quote']

I bought the first album for the exact same reason and thought it was oasis too anfd thought the rest of the album was pretty inaccessable but the second album is ace! You must of heard promises, promises and theres the ballad-y/anthem-y blind pilots! Defo go get it mate! Hear they're making a comeback soon, cant wait!!

Guest bluesxman
I bought the first album for the exact same reason and thought it was oasis too anfd thought the rest of the album was pretty inaccessable but the second album is ace! You must of heard promises' date=' promises and theres the ballad-y/anthem-y blind pilots! Defo go get it mate! Hear they're making a comeback soon, cant wait!![/quote']

Probably have heard it somewhere, i'm generally clueless about what's going on with music, I just drift along buying CD's I fancy, never listen to radio, rarely watch music TV for any length of time...i'm sure I saw that CD for about 3.99 somewhere, may check it out...

I bought the first album for the exact same reason and thought it was oasis too anfd thought the rest of the album was pretty inaccessable but the second album is ace! You must of heard promises' date=' promises and theres the ballad-y/anthem-y blind pilots! Defo go get it mate! Hear they're making a comeback soon, cant wait!![/quote']

Yeah they're recording their new album but Didz aint on it! he's in Carl Barats new band The Dirty Pretty Things!

I'd prob add Kasabian Club Foot on mine, best fuckin bass line i've heard for a while!

Guest bluesxman

Found it on Amazon for 3.99 with a DVD as well. Back of the net.

Yeah they're recording their new album but Didz aint on it! he's in Carl Barats new band The Dirty Pretty Things!

I'd prob add Kasabian Club Foot on mine' date=' best fuckin bass line i've heard for a while![/quote']

I with you on Club Foot mate, sounds like an intro i cant quite put my finger on!!

Didz and barat......................how good is that!!!!

Also put QOTSA - Songs for the deaf on my list!!!

In the spirit of civilivised debate :help:' date=' i thought we could all list ours, because singles are ace cos any shit band can release an ace single i.e. Blink 182 - Always (or whatever the cure rip off one was):

1. Hope of the States - Black Dollar Bills

2. Mansun - I Can Only Disappoint U

3. Arab Strap - The Shy Retirer

4. At the Drive-In - One Armed Scissor

5. Mew - Comforting Sounds

6. Morrissey - Irish Blood, English Heart

7. Modest Mouse - Float On

8. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps

9. Hot Hot Heat - Bandages

10. Maximo Park - Apply Some Pressure

Note: edited for inclusion of bandages and now maps[/quote']

You reviewed the entire century and came up with that?

:down: