aberdeen-music

new Mogwai Cd to be released March 6th

french_disko

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-11/14.shtml#mogwai

Mogwai Announce New Album Title, Release Date

Zach Vowell reports:

By Mogwai's own standards, 2003's Happy Songs for Happy People was a subdued effort. Sure, there were more than a few of those classic Mogwai moments when you could literally hear Stuart Braithwaite's foot stamping his effects pedal, but in the end the album's title wasn't entirely ironic. So we figure it's time for a return of the post-rawk, and so far, Matador Records has been feeding us what we want to hear.

Over the weekend, the label announced that Mogwai's fifth proper album, Mr. Beast, which will be released March 6, is "perhaps their heaviest record since Young Team and better than we even hoped." Um, low expectations, guys?

Matador also promises that the album will feature "headcrushers." Yes!

Mogwai's trusty producer, Tony Doogan, manned the control board alongside the band at their Castle of Doom studio in Glasgow. Da-da-da-duuuuuuhhhhm. In June, Braithwaite told Pitchfork that song titles include "Friend of the Night" and "Robocop Vs. the Orange Walk", and that the record "will probably do for flangers what Interpol did for suits." Former Creation Records honcho and current Mogwai manager Alan McGee said in an interview with the website of his current label, Poptones, that Mr. Beast is "probably the greatest art rock record that I've been involved in since My Bloody Valentine's Loveless." He then upped the ante by declaring, "It's possibly better than Loveless." Talk about pre-release hype!

Matador also promised that Mogwai will visit the States in early 2006, and once those dates are confirmed and we have our tickets in hand, you can bet we'll let everyone know. Until that happens, the band has a handful of UK scheduled, but we're pretty much doing scalper services for free here, as all dates except Glasgow are sold out. Proceeds from those two home turf shows will benefit the charity One in Four, which helps victims of childhood sexual abuse.

The London shows are billed as "intimate", so no soccer-themed heckling, please:

11-28 Edinburgh, Scotland - Cabaret Voltaire

11-29 Glasgow, Scotland - The Arches

01-10 London, England - ICA

01-11 London, England - ICA

01-12 London, England - ICA

01-13 London, England - ICA

01-14 London, England - ICA

great news indeed!

still no aberdeen date though :(

oh mogwai' date=' will you ever return?[/quote']

Well you never know as two Rock Action acts have played Aberdeen in the last month - Part Chimp and Random Number.

But Chilli reckons that Aberdeen audiences speak too much during the quiet bits of their set for them to return...

Dave

I don't see them ever playing Aberdeen again, after the infamous Lemon Tree show.

I do remember Ross Morrison trying to book them at Moshulu many moons ago, but not sure what the feedback was from the Mogwai booking agent.

I'm not sure how Moshulu would cope with the sound tho, perhaps the forum or even an intimate show at drummonds would suit best. Those that saw Explosions in the Sky play drummonds a while back will know what i mean :love: I don't think there has been a better sound for a band in aberdeen, ever. Thats quite a bold statement, I know; but it really was that good

i don't care where they play so long as they play up here. i just think it sucks to have to travel to glasgow to see a scottish band everytime they tour. fair enough to see american or european bands but surely a scottish band can face the jaunt up here. miserable bastards that they are.

Guest bluesxman

Well I have never managed to catch them live at all for various reasons, so playing somewhere up here would be grand.....Braithwaite managed to struggle his way up here with Godspeed when they played.....

Well I have never managed to catch them live at all for various reasons' date=' so playing somewhere up here would be grand.....Braithwaite managed to struggle his way up here with Godspeed when they played.....[/quote']

He also did an acoustic thingy @ Exodus for a TripTych a few years back. But there was loads of talking again...

He also did an acoustic thingy @ Exodus for a TripTych a few years back. But there was loads of talking again...

Exodus was really poor choice of venue for that gig (arab strap / stuart braithwaite) - it had really crap access to the bar & a decent place to watch the gig.

I made a mad dash from the Chuck D lecture in The Forum to catch Stuart's set - and ended up watching it at side of the stage, behind the speakers as it was so packed.

Think they played two new songs, that were m...a...s...s...i...v...e...!!

I was utterly wasted though, so i can't quite remember. Why is it you get completely hammered to see one of your favourite bands, to the point that you can't really remember what happened at the gig. Its happened a few times now.

I blame peer pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

They played a few new songs at The Arches on Tuesday. Reckon this album is going to be a lot heavier than usual.

Gig itself wasn't as good as I was expecting, but it was still a good night. Think a combination of sleep deprivation and crappy venue killed a bit of the fun, everyone else seemed to think it was brilliant. And the tix were only a tenner, so I can't complain.

Unfortunately, because it was a charity gig for Asylum Seekers, they had the unbelievably stupid Dozy Kane MSP giving her usual rant-to-no-end. Apparently the treatment of asylum seekers is "fucking shite". "Oh really Rosie? We hadn't noticed. But tell me, what are you actually planning to do about it?"

They played a few new songs at The Arches on Tuesday. Reckon this album is going to be a lot heavier than usual.

Gig itself wasn't as good as I was expecting' date=' but it was still a good night. Think a combination of sleep deprivation and crappy venue killed a bit of the fun, everyone else seemed to think it was brilliant. And the tix were only a tenner, so I can't complain.

Unfortunately, because it was a charity gig for Asylum Seekers, they had the unbelievably stupid Dozy Kane MSP giving her usual rant-to-no-end. Apparently the treatment of asylum seekers is "fucking shite". "Oh really Rosie? We hadn't noticed. But tell me, what are you actually planning to do about it?"[/quote']

i think she's planning to stop dawn raids.