aberdeen-music

FUDGE FANZINE X - out now

The Ghost Of Fudge

the new zine's out. 69 pages of shite and a 22 track cd.

FEATURING!

Full coverage of the Fudge Awards 2005. Prove to your grandchildren you were once cool.

rocktested:

jonny lucifer

jamesy my minds weapon

jj 10 easy wishes

crazy bobbby of the planeteers

soundian of the granite city guide

nicky ca$ino, bar legend

stuart 'maxi' maxwell

milner stayover

interviewed (i use that term loosely):

black atom

stayover

radio lucifer

karloff

bouncing souls

the rezillos

'learn pythagoras with mr. trepidatious'

'in memory of the fudge flat'

'craig cuntkickers 10 ways to be more METAL than anyone'

the second act of last years Fudge Xmas Panto.

reviews and all that sort of shit.

your drawings and cartoons. MMW appear to feature a lot.

etc etc.

buy it, if not now, then as soon as you can :gringo:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not the tunnels. should be in one-up this afternoon... i need to burn more cds... should end up in retro rebels at some point this week' date=' and also the moorings...

so far, two rock test victims have shouted at me for not letting them win. there are no favours in FUDGELAND.[/quote']

hahaha i didnt even realise the rock test was a competition when i gave my answers. i lost gloriously as i always do.

Should be... but in actual fact will not be... ha ha ha

should be in one-up this afternoon... i need to burn more cds... should end up in retro rebels at some point this week, and also the moorings...

So my trips to Tunnels The Moorings 1UP and The Cavern have been a waste of a day then...he he he I should know better than think should will mean will so will take should as not in future...So I have a car and the inclination to drive into town HELL it is not even raining,ANYONE OUT THERE FOUND A PLACE TO BUY the NEW Fudge?.

It says 1619 on my computer but it is always a couple of minutes slow...but not as slow as the web site clock.... they must be on the same parallel universe as the meatmunchers at Fudge.

Well worth the wait -worth more than 2.50

The Pythagoras piece was funny , the rock tests are amusing, the Fudge awards brought back some hazy memories, I was found wandering about upstairs looking for a party by security. I only found out when they recognised me, still hung over as hell, during a soundcheck a day or 2 later,

Guest bluesxman

I'm bored so decided to do my track by track assessment of the fanzine CD.

1. Biz - Fast We Are Approaching... : no comment!

2. Goldblade - Psycho : Own a couple of their CD's so expected this to be good - and it is. I imagine them to be fantastic live, but alas I have always had other circumstances preventing me seeing them in Aberdeen. One day...

3. Radio Lucifer - Dance Of The Doomed : Expected to dislike this as I always see Motley Crue and The Wildhearts mentioned in connection with them, and I never liked either of those bands, BUT - I actually enjoyed this song, made me feel like jumping around. Which is always good. Will try and catch them live.

4. Five Finger Discount - Skipping Tracks : Nice tune, catchy lead guitar line. I'm not really a fan of the poppier punk stuff, but this has enough hooks to keep me interested.

5. Babar Luck - War Fever : Would be interesting enough as a random support act to happen upon, don't think I would go see on their own merit, but it's a nice song. Reggae inflected vocals and nice gentle effects-guitar.

6. Albert Kuvezin & yat-Kha - Solun Chagaai Sovet Churtum : I like this a lot, although it's very bizarre on first listen when the vocals first hit you. Has a good groove, kind of reminds me of Velvet Underground with the violin type instruments in the background, whatever they may be. The vocals make me feel like I have a sore throat, I thought they were a bit over the top until I read the fanzine and realised why they are like that. Throat singing or some such thing. May track down a full CD by them.

7. Macrocosmica - Live Death : Very good, I only recently discovered them just as they have apparently split up, typical timing for me.

8. Deadenstereo - Trust The Tale (Not The Teller) : Didn't really like this, not my kind of thing. Suspect it's good enough if it's your thing though....

9. Stroszek - Remains : I like it, vocals are much better than when I caught them live, they were very flat on the night. Guitars are good. Drum machine really needs more 'oomph' though, bit weedy sounding, needs a good thump to it...

10. Alt.Rock TM - Bayou St.John : I really like this, good bass line hook and nice guitar build up over the course of the track. Interesting vocal ideas. Would like to see them live but imagine it could sound disastrous if the sound person gets the levels wrong and has the vocals too loud...

11. FeSTR - Call Waiting : Hmm, funk rock type stuff. Not doing it for me.

12. Black Atom - Broken Alive : Not much of a metal fan, this is better than I expected after seeing all the Iron Maiden knock off comparisons. Must be said I'm not seeing it myself apart from a few guitar sections.

13. Within These Walls - One More Time For The Money : see FeSTR. But like these vocals more.

14. Obsessive Compulsive - Eliminate Personal Comments : Good enough singing, etc, not my thing though.

15. Sidca - Wounded Ox : Kind of Fugazi/Shellac type stop-start punk racket. Nice.

16. Genevieve - Call : This is nice, good guitar effects and duel vocals. Suspect a fair My Bloody Valentine influence.

17. Deadloss Superstar - D.N.R. (acoustic) : Really like this, nice bongos, fnaar. Has a nice 'just captured this in a random jam' quality with 'not entirely in tune but who gives a f**k?' falsetto vocals. Has lead me to seek out their EP. And I have never seen them live but will do for sure. Hadn't heard of them till a few months ago even. I'm not clued up in the scene you see...

18. Samurai Fury - One Man : I expected this lot to be another pop-punk outfit for some reason. It's quite good actually. Are they having a rivalry with Radio Lucifer yet? Treading similar paths I think....it's all good rock and roll fun though.

19. Onion Terror - Knows The Truth : Quite like this actually, again was expecting pop-punk for some reason. Why does an onion inspire terror? Allergy? Or am I reading too much into this?

20. The Kitchen Cynics - The Ghost Of Fudge : Again I really like this. After hearing his quieter folk stuff for the first time recently, never expected drums, it's got a good tune and the vocal interplay is very nice.

21. Eric Euan - NYC Taxi Jiver : Don't like that song title. Any song with jive in the title bodes badly and makes me think of weddings and dodgy old people dancing. And with the additional taxi reference casts up all sorts of Vanessa Paradis does jive bunny nightmares. Pleasingly, the music turns out to be good enough, not for me though.

22. Alamos - Kill Baby Kill : This also made me want to jump about. Vocals with strange effects on them are always nice.

Guest scott cs.

4. Five Finger Discount - Skipping Tracks : Nice tune' date=' catchy lead guitar line. I'm not really a fan of the poppier punk stuff, but this has enough hooks to keep me interested.

[/quote']

thank you!

18. Samurai Fury - One Man : I expected this lot to be another pop-punk outfit for some reason. It's quite good actually. Are they having a rivalry with Radio Lucifer yet? Treading similar paths I think....it's all good rock and roll fun though.

We're chums, their bass player is our college class. Cheers for the kind words!

Guest bluesxman
I'm bored so decided to do my track by track assessment of the fanzine CD.

1. Biz - Fast We Are Approaching... : no comment!

Cheers for being polite-it IS supposed to be shit by the way.

Ha ha, yeah I guessed it wasn't intended seriously, so needed no opinion - hence no comment!!! :D