aberdeen-music

We can't even beat fucking America...

Afro Droid

To be fair, USA are 7th in the world (although they don't play like a side that are seventh) and have an amazing youth setup at grass roots level which we don't.Other than that, all you can do is pray you're brazilian and only need a beach or alleyway to play on.

USA have better players than us anyway.

Remebering we aint actualy that crap what with the size of our country compared to the likes of the us............................... :rockon:

no, we are. Similarly sized countries are far above us in the rankings. And remember this is our national sport! This is the game people play when they're growing up, at the weekend and after work in the park. We should not be wallowing in the 60s and 70s of the world rankings.

Look at some of the teams in the top 40, with our football history we should be above most of them. But due to an ineffectual SFA we don't have the youth set-up and infrastructure to get there.

Remebering we aint actualy that crap what with the size of our country compared to the likes of the us............................... :rockon:

Size of country doesn't have much of a relevance to a team's, uh... 'goodness'.

it's more down to opportunities within the country, and how much of a priority the sport is in that country.

e.g. India/china - both have a billion people. New Zealand - 3 million (or something close) people.

but when it comes to rugby...

a similar model can be applied to Mozambique, Wales and international darts :D

EDIT: And look on the bright side; at least England beat Argentina. Again. ;)

and how much of a priority the sport is in that country.

Football's our national sport!

There's no excuse for being as low down the rankings as us. The blame has to lie with the SFA and David Taylor. I don't understand how he's managed to keep his job throughout the last few years.

Football's our national sport!

There's no excuse for being as low down the rankings as us. The blame has to lie with the SFA and David Taylor. I don't understand how he's managed to keep his job throughout the last few years.

Exactly!

Sorry, that was my point. Scotland (unfortunately) are shit. And it is the national sport, along with rugby. They can be forgiven for being awful at cricket... but not at football and rugby.

I'm not sure how my last point came across but what I was trying to say is that; it doesn't matter how big a country is - if they don't have the facilities, or the sport isn't popular in that country, then the population size shouldn't affect how good they are (at the sport in question).

I also blame celtic and rangers. Remember back even 7-10 years ago when scotland had a semi decent team... both glesca (hahahaha) teams were full of scottish internationals. Where as these days, the international Scot's stay on the bench whilst 2nd rate European players still keep them top of the league (until this year).

EDIT: And look on the bright side; at least England beat Argentina. Again. ;)

The other week they were no hopers, "Sven must go", bleat bleat bleat etc.

As of yesterday they're gonna win the world cup.

England fans/pundits are insufferable all the time, but at least when they're miserable they're amusing.

The other week they were no hopers' date=' "Sven must go", bleat bleat bleat etc.

As of yesterday they're gonna win the world cup.

England fans/pundits are insufferable all the time, but at least when they're miserable they're amusing.[/quote']

Agreed with you sir, they are a fucking joke. The English media is so greatly at fault for so much of the England/Scotland rivalry.

I feel that I am better qualified than most to pass judgement on all this, being of English parents yet having lived the last 12+ years (of my 22 year old life) in Scotland. I can very much see the argument from both sides...

Personally I feel, if Scotland were as good as England - their fans would be exactly as rubbish as the English ones. The Scottish media are also truly awful, however they just don't get as much opportunity to exercise their rubbishness as the english do. (And when they do it goes out to 11 times less people).

I mean, after the great results against Italy and Norway, the whole "we're on the way to the world cup" happened - and before you know it... "shit, we've been beaten again by mickey mouse utd"

I'm not arguing for either side here. Although I do find it mildly amusing that most people in Scotland will have been supporting Argentina against England yesterday - even though their relatives were bombing the shit out of Argentina a decade or so ago, whilst the English were on the same side :D

Agreed with you sir' date=' they are a fucking joke. The English media is so greatly at fault for so much of the England/Scotland rivalry.

I feel that I am better qualified than most to pass judgement on all this, being of English parents yet having lived the last 12+ years (of my 22 year old life) in Scotland. I can very much see the argument from both sides...

Personally I feel, if Scotland were as good as England - their fans would be exactly as rubbish as the English ones. The Scottish media are also truly awful, however they just don't get as much opportunity to exercise their rubbishness as the english do. (And when they do it goes out to 11 times less people).

I mean, after the great results against Italy and Norway, the whole "we're on the way to the world cup" happened - and before you know it... "shit, we've been beaten again by mickey mouse utd"

I'm not arguing for either side here. Although I do find it mildly amusing that most people in Scotland will have been supporting Argentina against England yesterday - even though their relatives were bombing the shit out of Argentina a decade or so ago, whilst the English were on the same side :D[/quote']

It's best that I don't start about the Scottish media. But aye, I agree. I personally think they should have let a Falklands veteran commentate.

In the current context, 1-1 was a good result. No point in saying things like, "we gave them the sport, so we should be stuffing them"......we also gave the game to Brazil, Italy etc.

I honestly think the SFA get overly-criticised. If you want to make the necessary changes to football in this country that will see us on a level playing field with other countries of our size (eg. Holland), you need to go way beyond the SFA's remit. They've made mistakes without question, but I'd like anyone to try and bring about truly positive change with the money that they have available.

This country has lamentable facilities, an atrocious attitude to sport in most schools that sees competitive sport forbidden in many cases (which probably is a major cause of why we're ridden with obese kids), and also a total lack of decent coaches that can teach kids properly. In lots of cases where there are coaches available, kids under 10 are made to play in 11-a-side matches on full size pitches....crazy.

A few months ago in the EE, there was a story about how Neil Simpson went around some of the local kids football clubs, and tried to get the boys playing 5 or 7-aside games and to emphasise on skills. This led to a public condemnation by outraged coaches who thought he was trespassing on their turf. Small-minded twats like that who cant see the wood for the trees are a big part of the problem. IMO, we should be looking at how Holland have done things over the past 35 years and copy it.

Obviously the USA is far bigger than Scotland, but I was still struck by the fact during commentary, it was mentioned that 18 million US youngsters play football at schools. What do most kids in our cities do after school??

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Aye' date=' thought so. Even if I'd been off work, I'd have been at Firhill instead shouting dog's abuse at G****a.....[/quote']

That was a comeback and a half, wasn't it?

If the Hampden highlights were anything to go by, there was more noise at nearby Cathkin Park, Third Lanark's old ground.