aberdeen-music

Which are the best Aberdeen Bands (in your opinion)

CAC

Ive been away from the country for a number of years and Im interested to know the pulse of the local music scene again. In particular Im eager to check out the what might be considered the best of what Aberdeen has to offer. I seem to get an impression from the forums that heavy/thrash metal is the thing just now. Or am I wrong? personally im not in to thrash metal bands so I hope there are alternatives.

Which bands are taking their shit seriously?

Any local bands getting national medial exposure?

Is there a band who you think sound like they could be on TOTP. I know it may sound cliche....

Ive only been back in the country a few weeks and have been listening to the radio and am impressed by what indie guitar bands are doing at the moment.

So, if you have a personal local band which one would that be.

Cheers

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try copyhaho www.myspace.com/copyhaho

or the welles www.myspace.com/thewelles

other than those, the xcerts are doing really well. other types of bands like rock/punk etc are radio lucifer (again myspace) and deadloss superstar (i think on myspace) and some other ones. i'm sure i'm missing out the main ones. those are some for you i think

Is there a band who you think sound like they could be on TOTP. I know it may sound cliche....

Ive only been back in the country a few weeks and have been listening to the radio and am impressed by what indie guitar bands are doing at the moment.

It's interesting, indie means punk which means pop, so I don't think there are any actual indie bands in Aberdeen, ie bands which would consider getting on TOTP an aim rather than something to purposefully avoid. There is no Aberdeen equivalent to Edinburgh's Thee Comrades, or if there is I havent seen them

I suppose The Videos are the honourable exception. Maybe Rescue Party, tho I havent heard enough of them

Tho rest assured, if we ever make it out of our pit of love and homework, Beton Brute will be a band that will strive for TOTP exposure

Baby Karma is probably the best example of a very poppy band, though bands like Eskimo Blonde run them pretty close.

Don't let the forums cloud your judgement - there's a lot of awfully good bands that are completely ignored on here for various reasons. A lot of more obscure genres are massively overrepresented on here too - if you believed everything on this site, indie would be a niche interest, emo would be ridiculously unpopular and electronic artists would be selling out stadiums throughout the world.

It's interesting' date=' indie means punk which means pop, so I don't think there are any actual indie bands in Aberdeen, ie bands which would consider getting on TOTP an aim rather than something to purposefully avoid. [/quote']

I dont really think indie bands give a fuck about getting on totp. And indie means punk? what the fuck? punk is punk and indie is indie.

Don't let the forums cloud your judgement - there's a lot of awfully good bands that are completely ignored on here for various reasons..

Best post I have read in a long time.

If you want to really check out the best bands' date=' go to a variety of gigs. Arkade, GFN, Interesting music, Fudge,AUBL all put on plenty of decent gigs throughout the year.

I think the Midnight Noise Collective are one of the best bands in Aberdeen and are totally underrated. Also check out the Kitchen Cynics, quality!

Trumpet time- [url']www.e106.net

Thanks for all your replies. I will definitely check out the names mentioned.........BTW, I wasnt asking about POP bands for TOTP. I just meant does anyone here a local band and think "Hmmm they sound like they could be on TOTP" or even A listed on radio one. Maybe its just me but I dont consider the guitar bands Im hearing on Radio One to be Pop bands. sounds all indie/gtr to me.

Cheers

:cheers:

go see stayover in moshulu tonight, they are pretty fucking good, and always a good laugh, and arent dicks who take everything too seriously. also they are supporting caffeine so will b ace!

Ive been away from the country for a number of years and Im interested to know the pulse of the local music scene again. In particular Im eager to check out the what might be considered the best of what Aberdeen has to offer. I seem to get an impression from the forums that heavy/thrash metal is the thing just now. Or am I wrong? personally im not in to thrash metal bands so I hope there are alternatives.

Which bands are taking their shit seriously?

Any local bands getting national medial exposure?

So' date=' if you have a personal local band which one would that be.

Cheers[/quote']

For an interesting alternative to the heavier stuff I would have to suggest go and see The Jo McCafferty Band on Tuesday at Moshulu. Jo's stuff is certainly not heavy rock, not an electric guitar in sight, it's difficult to know what to expect,but here's a few songs. Jo's also had a lot of media exposure in the last few years with quite a few decent support slots all round the UK and Europe. As a solo artist Jo's had a lot of comparative success, I think the band has real potential to become a top of the pops type of band.

Here's a few songs

Clean

Over the Course of an Evening

The supports on Tuesday include some of Aberdeen's best bands in different genre's, Tears of Grace are a heavy band but are stripping back their sound to do an acoustic set, which will be excellent.

Strozek are also excellent, but they dont know how to describe themselves ;)

Stanley are one of Aberdeen's most underated bands and its going to be excellent to see them playing a venue like Moshulu, they have a cool distictive sound :)

Should be a great night, come down :) tickets only 5 from the Bassment, One Up, Fopp or at the door.

On a different note and on a secondary plug, yep Baby Karma are probably the poppiest Aberdeen band at the moment hear them here :)

Anyway enough plugs :)

Cheers

Stuart

For an interesting alternative to the heavier stuff I would have to suggest go and see The Jo McCafferty Band on Tuesday at Moshulu. Jo's stuff is certainly not heavy rock' date=' not an electric guitar in sight, it's difficult to know what to expect,but here's a few songs. Jo's also had a lot of media exposure in the last few years with quite a few decent support slots all round the UK and Europe. As a solo artist Jo's had a lot of comparative success, I think the band has real potential to become a top of the pops type of band.

Here's a few songs

Clean

Over the Course of an Evening

The supports on Tuesday include some of Aberdeen's best bands in different genre's, Tears of Grace are a heavy band but are stripping back their sound to do an acoustic set, which will be excellent.

Strozek are also excellent, but they dont know how to describe themselves ;)

Stanley are one of Aberdeen's most underated bands and its going to be excellent to see them playing a venue like Moshulu, they have a cool distictive sound :)

Should be a great night, come down :) tickets only 5 from the Bassment, One Up, Fopp or at the door.

On a different note and on a secondary plug, yep Baby Karma are probably the poppiest Aberdeen band at the moment hear them here :)

Anyway enough plugs :)

Cheers

Stuart

Please note....

None of the above was a blatant plug whatsoever..... :D